Non Starter

Big Al

Reaction score
I have a 2010 1200 GS ADV which is refusing to start.

I have purchased a new battery but with no luck.

When i tried to start her last week she turned over (slowly) then nothing. I charged the battery up still no turn over, lights, indicators and horn all working great.

It is showing overdue a servicing which I presume would not effect the starting. A new battery has been fitted, but still no good I am getting a slight ticking when trying to start but no noise when the ignition key is turned.

An ideas guys?

Thanks

Al :drool:drool

Check all the big electrical connections including earth. Next is the solenoid which is probably the clicking you are hearing so if that is the case it's OK. Get a DVM out and check voltage is getting to the starter. If it is then your starter is stuffed.

One reason for not turning over is a seized alternator so maybe remove the engine cover to see if the belt is moving?

As said above,
Don't just rely on the battery connections being tight.

Also check the starter motor side. Then theres the earth.

All create your fault.

Take the earth lead off and dress it with a fine file to make sure you are getting a clean contact. The clicking you hear is very much a sign of a poor connection

When did it last run? Aside from fitting a new battery, have you done any other work on it since that date?

The earths seem to ok.

It was last run about 3 weeks ago, it was left on trickle charge

Corroded Earth connection. Quick test is to attach a set of jump leads, but only use the earth one. attach one end to the neg terminal at the battery and the other end to a good earthing point on the engine. If the bike starts, then its the earth lead connection under the fuel tank.

Disconnect the bike battery and try jump starting it. Don’t run the donor engine. If it struggles your starter is failing or the alternator is seized.

Thanks for the info

It turns out the fault is the starter motor/solenoid

Does anyone know were I can (if I can) get the old one re-conditioned in the teesside area.

Or were to purchase a new/used one.

Thanks

If it's a Hexhead

With the solenoid attached to the starter -

I payed £140 all in inc delivery if i recall for a Valeo (oem) rebuilt unit from a place in lancashire if i recall

A new Arrowhead unit is about £ 160-180

mart

I’ve got a similar problem o my 2009 gs1200. I’ve checked earth battery starter all connections under tank to no avail. Someone mentioned that it could be gear potentiometer and it thinks it’s in gear all the time. Is there away I can short this out/bypass this switch and try. Thanks

Non starter

I’ve got a similar problem to a post. My bike won’t start it on my 2009 gs1200. I’ve checked earth battery starter all connections under tank to no avail. Someone mentioned that it could be gear potentiometer and it thinks it’s in gear all the time. Is there away I can short this out/bypass this switch and try. Thanks

I’ve got a similar problem to a post. My bike won’t start it on my 2009 gs1200. I’ve checked earth battery starter all connections under tank to no avail. Someone mentioned that it could be gear potentiometer and it thinks it’s in gear all the time. Is there away I can short this out/bypass this switch and try. Thanks

if it shows that it is in neutral it isn't that. Pulling in the clutch should override that anyway.

The gear sensor is a potentiometer. The clutch lever has a microswitch.

If the ECU does not detect neutral and/or the clutch pulled in you cannot start the bike

Back
Top Bottom