week internet

wideparting

Reaction score
hi people got bought a smart tv for Christmas.my internet here is so weak it wont let me use the catchup or films on some of the apps.is there a cheap fix,somebody suggested a 2 plug like thingy,one where the router is and one by the tv.anyone recommend something that is cheap as I don't realy watch it much, and don't want to spend a fortune. ps. I am totally computer illiterate,so no abriviations or long words. thanks. j

hi people got bought a smart tv for Christmas.my internet here is so weak it wont let me use the catchup or films on some of the apps.is there a cheap fix,somebody suggested a 2 plug like thingy,one where the router is and one by the tv.anyone recommend something that is cheap as I don't realy watch it much, and don't want to spend a fortune. ps. I am totally computer illiterate,so no abriviations or long words. thanks. j

We addressed this problem by buying a WiFi booster thingy from pc world. Package includes a small device that plugs into mains next to you router and has a cat5 type cable that plugs into your broadband router. It uses the ring main circuit to carry the WiFi signal so you then plug the second part of the booster into the mains ( same circuit) near the tv. You can either wire directly to tv or connect the tv to the WiFi signal provide by the booster thing. Cost is about £50.

We addressed this problem by buying a WiFi booster thingy from pc world. Package includes a small device that plugs into mains next to you router and has a cat5 type cable that plugs into your broadband router. It uses the ring main circuit to carry the WiFi signal so you then plug the second part of the booster into the mains ( same circuit) near the tv. You can either wire directly to tv or connect the tv to the WiFi signal provide by the booster thing. Cost is about £50.

thanks joe,will take a look at this. j

Can you not connect the TV with an ethernet cable directly to the router?

D.

As I read it, the OP's problem isn't distributing a signal to the TV but a mediocre internet connection that doesn't give the 2 megabits/second needed for video on demand. Apart from perhaps a 4G phone with unlimited data I can't think of a way round the problem.

Solution: Pay for better internet.

A 4G smart TV just isnt going to work with a soggy piece of string attached to the aerial.

Solution: Pay for better internet.

A 4G smart TV just isnt going to work with a soggy piece of string attached to the aerial.
All very well if you can get better internet.

Since the infrastructure of our country was abandoned in the cause of 'austerity', I doubt he can do better.

Or you could do as I suggested?!

The booster that plugs into the mains by the TV has a Lan socket, a Smart TV can either use WiFi or the cable from TV to socket. Cable is must faster than the WiFi.

All very well if you can get better internet.

Since the infrastructure of our country was abandoned in the cause of 'austerity', I doubt he can do better.

According to his profile, He lives in the Wirral. As backwards as it is in the Northwest, I'm sure they get streaming quality broadband.

Or you could do as I suggested?!

The booster that plugs into the mains by the TV has a Lan socket, a Smart TV can either use WiFi or the cable from TV to socket. Cable is must faster than the WiFi.

That wont make his internet faster, which is what he is describing. It sounds like he wants 70gig download speeds on dial up.

A booster plug in the mains and cable to the TV shouldn’t result in any lose. WiFi is slowed by channel contention, walls buildings etc.

If he has an okay signal at the router what I suggested will deliver it to the TV.

My 1Gb router drops to 35mb WiFi in some rooms.

A booster plug in the mains and cable to the TV shouldn’t result in any lose. WiFi is slowed by channel contention, walls buildings etc.

If he has an okay signal at the router what I suggested will deliver it to the TV.

My 1Gb router drops to 35mb WiFi in some rooms.

thanks joe,bought one now works a treat.

Back
Top Bottom