Advice travelling in Czech Republic ?

Ive been several times, currency is not a problem other than trying to spend it, very good value for money, you can use atm's but last time I took £60 worth of local, my mate took zero, I bought all coffees etc and full meal (pizza) with wine, a few beers etc on the last night for us both and still came home with shrapnel. You only really need currency in the places you would'nt offer a card at home, in bars and coffee shops, credit card for fuel and accommodation. Seriously you will pay 50p for a coffee and £1 a pint for beautiful beer.

Camp if you like but accommodation we found really cheap and good standard .e.g. Hotel Golf in Prague , rooms are 4star standard IIRC we paid 35 euro equivelant for bed and breakfast.

I have some Garmin routes I can share if you wish, beautiful roads, in particular around Cesky Krumlov and south in to Austria.

Enjoy

oh and a smattering of german is useful in communication, people are friendly we never had a problem being understood

Ive been several times, currency is not a problem other than trying to spend it, very good value for money, you can use atm's but last time I took £60 worth of local, my mate took zero, I bought all coffees etc and full meal (pizza) with wine, a few beers etc on the last night for us both and still came home with shrapnel. You only really need currency in the places you would'nt offer a card at home, in bars and coffee shops, credit card for fuel and accommodation. Seriously you will pay 50p for a coffee and £1 a pint for beautiful beer.

Camp if you like but accommodation we found really cheap and good standard .e.g. Hotel Golf in Prague , rooms are 4star standard IIRC we paid 35 euro equivelant for bed and breakfast.

I have some Garmin routes I can share if you wish, beautiful roads, in particular around Cesky Krumlov and south in to Austria.

Enjoy

oh and a smattering of german is useful in communication, people are friendly we never had a problem being understood

Thank you Pablo 1 sounds like my sort of place, although I shall visit Prague, just for just, i prefer the none touristy areas .

Don't speed ,,, the polis WILL have your €€€

Yes with this,actually saw cops hiding in bushes and jumping out in front of unsuspecting ( and possibly drunk ) motorists, radars are many and frequent at most town and city limits.
I camped with no problems but don't expect too many luxuries, it's pretty common to have to buy a token to get a shower only to find cold water being dispensed...character building. Cheap as chips though and the girls are stunning :thumb

Yes with this,actually saw cops hiding in bushes and jumping out in front of unsuspecting ( and possibly drunk ) motorists, radars are many and frequent at most town and city limits.
I camped with no problems but don't expect too many luxuries, it's pretty common to have to buy a token to get a shower only to find cold water being dispensed...character building. Cheap as chips though and the girls are stunning :thumb

Good to hear the showers are cold then :rolllaugh

........................................ Seriously you will pay 50p for a coffee and £1 a pint for beautiful beer. ......................

First time I went (1993) you could get pissed on a pound!

John

Probably around the same time as us Grey One we had the good fortune to find pilsner at 19 pence / ltr and no plod no mobiles no gps just a good old paper foldie uppie thing made by Michelin happy days

Probably around the same time as us Grey One we had the good fortune to find pilsner at 19 pence / ltr and no plod no mobiles no gps just a good old paper foldie uppie thing made by Michelin happy days

Yep, those were the days

Great decision, I really enjoyed touring there.

English widely spoken, some fascinating old towns and spectacular lager. The architecture often reflects their centuries-old fear of Hungarian and Turk invaders.

I went in the winter so places like Cesky Krumlov were brilliant but as is noted above I could imagine them becoming busy in the right season.

Have a blast, I know you will..

Paul g

...no plod no mobiles no gps just a good old paper foldie uppie thing made by Michelin happy days

Bike touring, as it should be, but never will be again...

I keep promising myself that next time I'm abroad, I'll leave the Garmin at home...

But I never do ;)

I am feeling very positive about it all now from the encouraging responses and the links Wapping has sent, what could go wrong, Unless the Russians invade again, I don't know why I haven't tried this one before, maybe I have just left the best till last.

Back
Top Bottom