Advice travelling in Czech Republic ?

bobsnew

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am planning a trip into the Czech Republic in June, I welcome any advice, any particular problems I should be aware of and whats the best option on the currency (Czech koruna ).

1. Get a map

2. Get the Rough Guide to....

3. Buy currency from any UK high street bank or the Post Office

4. Look at assorted websites

It’s Western Europe not the Central African Republic, have you even tried?

I am planning a trip into the Czech Republic in June, I welcome any advice, any particular problems I should be aware of and whats the best option on the currency (Czech koruna ).

1. Get a map

I agree with Wapping.

I toured there in 2016 and also went to the MotoGP.
When I wanted to stop for the night I looked for a Pension and always found one; a lot of people like to book ahead but I don't. I was travelling alone and never had any issues.

1. Get a map

Thanks, I am well experienced in travel around most of Europe, perhaps I should have included intend to camp most of the trip, I don't like carrying wads of cash and it seems by the exchange rate i would need my top box just to carry the notes and normally use a Caxton card and I have found this works well with the Euro, just wandered if there was any difficulty in finding sites and others experiences of pre-loaded cards.

Finding campsites or ATM sites?

There’s as much divided opinion on the best Pre-load cash cards as there is on gloves.

Finding campsites or ATM sites?

There’s as much divided opinion on the best Pre-loade cash cards as there is on gloves.

I had pre-booked my campsite (stayed there for 4 nights) but just "winged it" for Pension accommodation.

I had pre-booked my campsite (stayed there for 4 nights) but just "winged it" for Pension accommodation.

Yes, i agree almost as bad as oil and tyres, thanks I will have a look at the links :thumby:

I first travelled there in 1998, we were in Austria and thought Prague would be a laugh

A German chap said there was a decent hotel, he could recommend and to go to Praha centre and take the Pilzen road and it's about 2 miles down that road

He scribbled the name of it on a fag packet and we stuffed it into the clear pouch on the tankbag and we were off

Entered Czech, with the merest glance at our our GB reg plates by Border patrol (perhaps these burly guards thought... WTF would these nutters want to enter our country on BMW GS's, most people were trying to leave)

We only had a few francs, some deutschmarks and a couple of quids, some eurocheques and all were readily accepted in loose change at our forthcoming coffee and lunch stops .............en-route to Praha

In one town we found, an ATM..............so put my Natwest cash card in and out came some Czech Koruna........bingo

We got to Praha, with only a basic map from one of the cafes, where had had coffee earlier and no GPS

After 3 laps of Praha, 1 stall and a tipover at a T junction we found the Pilzen road out of the city

Sure enough, the named hotel was there... just as the crazy German had said

In we strolled to a very post-Communist style hotel and asked for 4 rooms, surprisingly the receptionist spoke good English as our Czech was non existent at best

The rooms were clean and basic, for £10 a night with plastic tardis like ensuites in the corner, rather like those loos you see at festivals, only bigger

We put the bikes in a rickety shed for 3 days and caught the tram into the city daily, careful to avoid the pickpockets that the good citizens of Praha told us to be wary of

That was 20 years ago

I am sure Czech has sadly become more westernised since then and you will find all manner of BigMacs, Banks, Shell petrol stations and Raddisson hotels

You will be fine......We were 20 years ago and treated it as an ADVENTURE.... with no GPS, no internet and the like

When I found a Pension to stay a night in 2016 I didn't, and still don't, speak any Czech and the receptionist didn't speak any English but we both knew enough German to get a room, dinner and some cheap dunkel beer - a result!

Went last year to motogp, take local currency, Euro can be used, but not everywhere, found some taxis wouldn't take them, but exchange rate is not good.

Comforting story's and good reading material thanks, Czech language is difficult for me as most others but at least I can get by with most , but i shall be tooled up with my phone app :) the currency can be frustrating especially at fueling stations, Moravia interests me, good wine and the beer speaks for itself, I believe there are many forts and defence sites to explore and i intend to have a few days in Poland also so another currency challenge, but looking forward to the trip.

Drink drive 'limit' = Zero.

Only a tw@ would drink and then jump on a bike, but watch what you drink the night before.

And, I remember some really horendous cobbled streets in Prague that played havoc with a loaded GS on Tourances.

It's bloody red hot in July.....;)

Drink drive 'limit' = Zero.

Only a tw@ would drink and then jump on a bike, but watch what you drink the night before.

And, I remember some really horendous cobbled streets in Prague that played havoc with a loaded GS on Tourances.

It's bloody red hot in July.....;)

Thats good news, cheaper than UK then:rolllaugh

Been a few times, never had a problem.
Lots of cobbles and tram tracks in city centres.
Good beer, food and wine, cheap compared to more westerly Europe.
Never been to Prague.
Brno is nice, Pilsen is ok(pilsner urqell brewery tour was good), Cesky Krumlov is nice but very touristy(outdoor theatre was brilliant, saw Carmen), Karlovy Vary is nice(hot fizzy spring water).
Lots of good roads, never had a problem finding campsites or hotels.
Did get fined for riding in a bus lane though, think it cost me £8.

While there I also stayed in Croatia, Slovakia and Poland and I don't speak any of these languages either!
I hope to try Romania this year and see if it's fine too.

Don't speed ,,, the polis WILL have your €€€

Been a few times, never had a problem.
Lots of cobbles and tram tracks in city centres.
Good beer, food and wine, cheap compared to more westerly Europe.
Never been to Prague.
Brno is nice, Pilsen is ok(pilsner urqell brewery tour was good), Cesky Krumlov is nice but very touristy(outdoor theatre was brilliant, saw Carmen), Karlovy Vary is nice(hot fizzy spring water).
Lots of good roads, never had a problem finding campsites or hotels.
Did get fined for riding in a bus lane though, think it cost me £8.
Good Roads Good Beer, Good wine, Don’t speed, Don’t drink, sounds good to me though slightly contradictory 😂

Back
Top Bottom