Thinking of moving on.

King55

Reaction score
Hi All

Thinking of leaving the comfort of a 2016 BMW S1000XR SE and going over to something new.
i personally don't think there has been enough changes for the 2018 XR to keep up with the competition.

Its been a great bike for 2 years but i feel no need to change to a new version while the rest have moved
on with a few more creature comforts and electronics.
Always found it harsh ride for long distance touring and if only they gave it a super soft suspension mode
for normal speed touring, power screen, hotter grips, better front lights, tad comfier seat, i would probably be in the market again.
Going to test ride a few others and make a decision in Spring.
P.S had a rake of GS's before this might see if they float my boat again, but i would miss brutal BHP :D

Anybody else agree or is it me being picky. :nenau:nenau

Dave

If you feel that it isn't keeping up with the competition..........

What competition are you thinking about? Try them?

Multistrada - Skyhook suspension recognised as being superior, but could you stand the depreciation and niggles?
KTM 1290GT - What are the residuals like? KTM just pulled the rug out from their owners. (unless you can snag one at £11k)
Triumph Tiger Sport?

I can't see me going back to a GS - the XR is a better road bike, by far.

I bought an XR after loosing patience with the horrendous gearbox on my GS LC. It was a fantastic bike but lacked several things the LC had which was disappointing. LED headlights, adjustable suspension so you could have comfort mode, modes on the clocks etc. Additionally, it was unstable at anything over 120 and had made me want to ride it like I’d stolen it.

Having a 690 Duke I found myself enjoying this more and even took it on a long trip through France and over the Pyrenees which was great fun. When I returned I sold the XR and hadn’t planned to replace it but because of the amazing offer bought a GT at Christmas

Something tells me that BMW will up the power of the next generation GS to keep up with the competition. My 14 GS which had been Hilltopped wasn’t slow and much quicker than my 2012 Explorer.

I’m sure I will have another GS especially now they’ve addressed the problems with the gearbox and heated grips.

What about aftermarket grips, screen and seat? You can always put it back to standard when you sell.
Revs/Wilbers will sort the suspension for you though someone like MCT could rebuild the existing unit to give softer characteristics.
Any shock will be going off colour after 15K miles. Wilbers require a service (new oil, internal clean, new seal) every 15K to maintain the warranty.
PS I could be tempted by a KTM but the 1290 is well up there on costs.

This is what i call a sexy exiting motorcycle.
I would love one but i endeavour to resist.
The horrific experiences of my buddy and his MS helps me resist.
You couldn't give away used Multstradas in Ireland.

Attachments

• Multistrada-1260-MY18-50-Slider-Gallery-1920x1080.jpg
    Multistrada-1260-MY18-50-Slider-Gallery-1920x1080.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 486
I’m sure I will have another GS especially now they’ve addressed the problems with the gearbox and heated grips.

I know someone that's selling one with a lovely gearbox, and toasty heated grips! :D:p

If you feel that it isn't keeping up with the competition..........

What competition are you thinking about? Try them?

Multistrada - Skyhook suspension recognised as being superior, but could you stand the depreciation and niggles?
KTM 1290GT - What are the residuals like? KTM just pulled the rug out from their owners. (unless you can snag one at £11k)
Triumph Tiger Sport?

I can't see me going back to a GS - the XR is a better road bike, by far.

I'm with you about not going back to a GS, the new Tiger with all bells and whistles is about on par price wise with a fully spec XR and i think
that's its closest rival. Multi-strada no chance just ugly, although i had a great year with a 2005 1000 sport version with Termi's (nice).
Just can't get into the KTM scene so its head scratching time and a few test rides.

I know someone that's selling one with a lovely gearbox, and toasty heated grips! :D:p

If I hadn’t bought my GT and have five bikes I don’t think I would have been able to resist yours.

A 15 GSA riding fried tried a Ralye recently and said the difference was huge. He’s bought a new TFT GSA

Back
Top Bottom