Time to speculate - 2019 GS?

We are now in January, surely time to speculate on the new 2019 GS, one that will instantly make my 2017 model obsolete and worthless.
I’ve had a look around the forums and stolen a few ideas plus had a look at the other bikes on offer, so some of this is not new. Here is my guess on what the 2019 bike will be:

• 1250CC – R1250GS
• VVT – Variable Valve Timing
• 138BHP
• Free TFT screen
• Back lit switchgear
• 10KG’s lighter
• Enduro ABS
• Cornering lights
• 8K service limits
• Electronic screen adjustment
• 7 riding modes (Can’t think what they may be, but Triumph now have 6…)
• Heated seats
• More interesting colours – Red, White Rallye style with red frame

Question is, what will they save back for the inevitable facelift – they all do it you know
Or will they move to what the car world are doing – pay for electronic upgrades when you need them (who paid for hill start?).

As an aside...

How about a 900cc basic version. Similar to the old 850 that was produced alongside of the 1100's.
I appreciate the 800 parallel twins weren't in production in those days but I think there could be a market for a lightweight boxer
being produced alongside it's bigger brother. A modern 900 boxer could produce the same bhp if more, as the older big bore
bikes with the benefit of a massive weight reduction. Could be a winner.

Just a thought.

Even if they offered free beer for a year, I would not change, this is my last bike, when this 2017 model is done, the scooter will be coming.

I got my current GSA in 2016, and a mk6 Tmax in November. Since I got the Tmax I haven't ridden the GSA once...

Surely its the GSA up for a refresh, not the GS.

New 1250 vvt model in GS guise will appear at least 12 months before the vvt GSA model is released , they will spec up the GSA WC with all the options fitted at no extra cost in that 12 months to get rid of the WC motors, frames etc . same as they did with the 1150GS/GSA, the r1200gs/gsa tc models and when they introduced the WC ranges

No doubt the release of the upated r1200gs Rallye is pre-empting the arrival of the r 1250gs for the 2019 model year

I’ll have the hover version...

Attachments

• 28CC119A-ABCA-4E07-9004-209A2D529DA5.jpg
    28CC119A-ABCA-4E07-9004-209A2D529DA5.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 4,099
Could even be a flat 4 now that would change the game just think smooth engine 13-1400 ??

How about a 700cc turbo boxer making more low end torque and weighing 100 pounds less? For sale in Northern Europe and other cool climates only of course.

Could even be a flat 4 now that would change the game just think smooth engine 13-1400 ??

They might not want to do that as it could be considered to be too much like the original Honda Goldwing, and also be seen as not suiting the off-road pretensions of the GS range. On the other hand, it could be designed such that it still looked very similar to a boxer twin, but you would probably lose much of the twin cylinder power delivery character which I think would be a shame. To be honest, I don't see why more power is even needed. I think they would be better off losing 20 kg from the existing layout.

How about a 700cc turbo boxer making more low end torque and weighing 100 pounds less? For sale in Northern Europe and other cool climates only of course.

I think a boxer twin would be a fairly difficult engine layout to turbo charge. I remember the CX500 Turbo and reading about the massive challenges that presented, and at least that was a V twin with the cylinders a bit closer together. Maybe a supercharger would be more practical?

Has been done.
afa07bbdfd74a7f3a1e824f37f51562b.jpg

Amazing - but I think that kind of proves the point though - needs two turbos, two intercoolers, assuming that's what the box is, and seems to have dispensed with the airbox, so would probably never meet Euro regs due to induction noise.

Agreed but then the whole boxer twin layout isn't exactly the most practical. It's big, heavy and complex in its current form and talk of vvt to get more performance out of it is just going to add to that.

Anyway this is a dream list and in dreams anything is possible.

Agreed but then the whole boxer twin layout isn't exactly the most practical. It's big, heavy and complex in its current form and talk of vvt to get more performance out of it is just going to add to that.

Anyway this is a dream list and in dreams anything is possible.

Yes, logic would say stick a parallel twin with 270 degree crank in there (like Africa Twin, but better!) and you would probably save 20 kg just off the engine, and more easily add forced induction, VVT, etc. But it will never happen - the boxer is just too iconic and so BMW would be afraid to drop it.

Yes, logic would say stick a parallel twin with 270 degree crank in there (like Africa Twin, but better!) and you would probably save 20 kg just off the engine, and more easily add forced induction, VVT, etc. But it will never happen - the boxer is just too iconic and so BMW would be afraid to drop it.
Never said it would happen but it should.

By the way I ride a 1290 KTM now so V twin would be my vote. Your right though a parallel twin is far more practical although maybe difficult with the current front suspension which is the best bit about a GS. Semi active suspension helps a bit but it's still not as good under certain conditions.

Engine cc downsize with supercharger or turbo would definitely follow what manufacturers are doing with cars to meet ever more stringent emissions regulations.

blue sky thinking
How about hybrid with a tiny 50cc engine coupled to an electric motor with the only purpose of petrol engine is to charge the battery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom