Time to speculate - 2019 GS?

Twin cup holders and an ashtray? Do i win a prize?

Never said it would happen but it should.

By the way I ride a 1290 KTM now so V twin would be my vote. Your right though a parallel twin is far more practical although maybe difficult with the current front suspension which is the best bit about a GS. Semi active suspension helps a bit but it's still not as good under certain conditions.

Ignoring the current difficulties with the Telelever recall and its slightly compromised design which requires a non-rigid top attachment to the bars, then I think its inherent anti-dive is better than using electronic control to artificially increasing damping in telescopic forks to reduce dive under braking, as while in this mode they must suffer from greatly reduced suspension compliance. I would suspect that this compromises the ability to absorb bumps while braking, which must be to the detriment of comfort, handling, and possibly even safety.

Engine cc downsize with supercharger or turbo would definitely follow what manufacturers are doing with cars to meet ever more stringent emissions regulations.

blue sky thinking
How about hybrid with a tiny 50cc engine coupled to an electric motor with the only purpose of petrol engine is to charge the battery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are only converting mechanical energy into electrical energy with this arrangement - if you want the performance of a large petrol engine then you have to be able to put similar amounts of energy in electrical form into an electric motor as you would have obtained from a full sized petrol engine. This will either require a much bigger than 50 cc petrol engine to generate the amount of electrical energy needed, or large batteries which can store large amounts of energy obtained from a mains charger. With the latter, once on the move, a 50cc engine is not going to be able generate enough charge to keep up with the rate of depletion of energy stored in the battery, so although it might slightly increase range, the bike will still have to stop and have a full recharge just like a fully electric vehicle.

Ignoring the current difficulties with the Telelever recall and its slightly compromised design which requires a non-rigid top attachment to the bars, then I think its inherent anti-dive is better than using electronic control to artificially increasing damping in telescopic forks to reduce dive under braking, as while in this mode they must suffer from greatly reduced suspension compliance. I would suspect that this compromises the ability to absorb bumps while braking, which must be to the detriment of comfort, handling, and possibly even safety.
Nope it works OK but doesn't have as much anti dive. It isn't like the old system where anti dive is set at the factory. It self adjusts on the fly so bumps still get absorbed. Off the brakes it is far superior to the telelever that can be fairly wooden/numb. If they can get fully active small enough for bikes it will be a slam dunk. An overly complicated solution to a simple problem. definitely, but then so is the boxer engine these days.

I would be very surprised if the next all new GS still came with Telelever.

I don't think they'll ever change the boxer to a flat 4, it's iconic in the GS range and what sets the bike apart form all the competition.. Personally, i won't be changing mine. The PCP is up this year and given the graphics i've put on it, the Hilltop upgrade and other farkles it's now the perfect GS for me. Goes as well as i'd want it to and handles perfectly, doesn't need any more power - it's got enough as it is to get you out of and into trouble... Besides, i also have the Urban GS which is a great alternative for a smaller, lighter bike to have a bit of fun on..

Back
Top Bottom