Time to speculate - 2019 GS?

Carlosfandango

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are now in January, surely time to speculate on the new 2019 GS, one that will instantly make my 2017 model obsolete and worthless.
I’ve had a look around the forums and stolen a few ideas plus had a look at the other bikes on offer, so some of this is not new. Here is my guess on what the 2019 bike will be:

• 1250CC – R1250GS
• VVT – Variable Valve Timing
• 138BHP
• Free TFT screen
• Back lit switchgear
• 10KG’s lighter
• Enduro ABS
• Cornering lights
• 8K service limits
• Electronic screen adjustment
• 7 riding modes (Can’t think what they may be, but Triumph now have 6…)
• Heated seats
• More interesting colours – Red, White Rallye style with red frame

Question is, what will they save back for the inevitable facelift – they all do it you know
Or will they move to what the car world are doing – pay for electronic upgrades when you need them (who paid for hill start?).

If they include the TFT screen as standard, which I agree they will have to, then I suspect the connectivity options, including the basic GPS, will be disabled on the base model, and either included in one of the options packs or purchasable as a standalone option, at bike purchase or as retrofit. I probably wouldn't bother!

My pcp will be up then and the 2019 would have to be pretty special for me to spend approx 21k replacing my current bike.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Even if they offered free beer for a year, I would not change, this is my last bike, when this 2017 model is done, the scooter will be coming.

Even if they offered free beer for a year, I would not change, this is my last bike, when this 2017 model is done, the scooter will be coming.

Blimey, how old are you? :eek:

Honda Goldwing next :D

Maybe they will fully integrate the NAV6 into the TFT screen, its android based so highly possible.

Even if the two devices run the same operating system I would doubt this for two reasons:

Firstly the code base for the Nav6 belongs to Garmin, and while they are happy to let BMW re-badge their satnavs with some minor physical differences, I can't see them wanting to support a completely non-Garmin bit of hardware and share the processor and RAM with the BMW code that makes it work as an instrument panel. Can't see BMW wanting to risk this either.

Perhaps more fundamentally, how would the single display be shared between the instrument panel functionality and a fully featured map based satnav? I think this would extremely difficult to arrange, and at best the satnav would have to display in a limited window within the TFT display, while being guaranteed not to overwrite or adversely impact the legal and safety related TFT display functions of speed, etc.

I think the best that could be hoped for is that the BMW app on your smartphone could be expanded to provide full map based satnav functionality, and its display could be mirrored onto a secondary TFT dedicated to this function - then anything is possible. Cars are already offering this in the form of Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Fred

Even if the two devices run the same operating system I would doubt this for two reasons:

Firstly the code base for the Nav6 belongs to Garmin, and while they are happy to let BMW re-badge their satnavs with some minor physical differences, I can't see them wanting to support a completely non-Garmin bit of hardware and share the processor and RAM with the BMW code that makes it work as an instrument panel. Can't see BMW wanting to risk this either.

Perhaps more fundamentally, how would the single display be shared between the instrument panel functionality and a fully featured map based satnav? I think this would extremely difficult to arrange, and at best the satnav would have to display in a limited window within the TFT display, while being guaranteed not to overwrite or adversely impact the legal and safety related TFT display functions of speed, etc.

I think the best that could be hoped for is that the BMW app on your smartphone could be expanded to provide full map based satnav functionality, and its display could be mirrored onto a secondary TFT dedicated to this function - then anything is possible. Cars are already offering this in the form of Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Fred

Valid points Fred

I hope they emulate Triumph and split the range into off-road and on-road optimised variants, preferably offering a low level exhaust and RT style luggage on the road variant which is something that Triumph haven't yet done. I could even see the road version taking over from the RT, whose days may be numbered.

Just ordered a 2018 R1200 Rallye TE - if they do a big upgrade next year they should have sorted out all the teething problems by the time I upgrade again 2021.

Nice :)

Powered screen needs to be on the 2019, and heated seats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom