The Confratertinity of St James

Wapping

Reaction score
When researching and creating the Ruta de la Plata across Spain route, I tripped over this site and organisation:

https://www.csj.org.uk

Whilst it’s easy to dismiss them as a bunch of God botherers, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to write them off. Lots of bods on this site like walking, being out in nature, staying in cheap (but reasonably comfortable) ‘safe’ digs for a night or just doing something different than pitching up an Ibis or British run B&B, where the host will be as English as a Blackpool beach donkey. It’s an odd thing when six nuns from Croydon are more adventurous (with a small ‘a’) than a ruftytufty Adventure (with a capital ‘A’) bikermate from Bolton.

If nothing else, you’ll maybe be able to pick a discount card for the accommodation, which is nice. I am sure your fellow overnight stayers won’t be judgemental and some of them may well like motorcycles.... or even own one or two.

I work and live within a mile or so of the place, so I might just wander over and see what they have of interest or use to motorcyclists.

Excellent link... :thumb2

Attachments

• Routes-to-Santiago-1024x871.jpg
    Routes-to-Santiago-1024x871.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 300
That’s a nice map of the pilgrim routes, all leading to one point on the map.

Bods can say what they like but at the eastern end of those routes are some of the largest cathedrals and abbeys in Europe. Something drove people to build them in 1400 something or other or earlier. The history of whatever that ‘something’ was is maybe to easily dismissed as we hurtle along.

Just to ride a motorcycle along some of the routes would be something in itself. To walk them end to end, would be something else again.

Lots of hostals on the Camino cater for pilgrims also and are thus pretty cheap. Seem to remember getting a double in one such a couple of years ago and the price was 22 quid ish? Good food too. Worth remembering that monasteries still offer bed and board and retreat for travellers and others. A guy I knew at uni went to one to prepare for his finals! Can't remember if it paid off in his degree!

Most of those routes are for walkers/cyclists only and Spanish authorities will probably be slightly irate to see bikers scrambling along them.

Suppose they’re pilgrimage routes for an important reason - the hundreds of thousands who walk these ways each year will attest to that

All joking apart, it would be easy enough to create one.

Well... if you get the time! :beerjug: I'm not clever enough with Mapsource!

But there's a wonderful ride, amongst all those separate pilgrimage routes...

Most of those routes are for walkers/cyclists only and Spanish authorities will probably be slightly irate to see bikers scrambling along them.

Suppose they’re pilgrimage routes for an important reason - the hundreds of thousands who walk these ways each year will attest to that

Yup, got that.

But:

(1) The idea is that some bods might like to walk some part of them

(2) For every route there is, without a doubt, a parallel or alternative route that can dreamed up to serve the same general direction. Simply ride along and drop in at paces that catch your imagination.... or don't.

I have ridden parts of the Pyrenean 'Pilgrims route' stopping off at the towns whilst following the http://www.skiwalkcyclepyrenees.com...lgrimage-the-route-to-santiago-de-compostela/ it was quite good fun

Lots of hostals on the Camino cater for pilgrims also and are thus pretty cheap. Seem to remember getting a double in one such a couple of years ago and the price was 22 quid ish? Good food too. Worth remembering that monasteries still offer bed and board and retreat for travellers and others. A guy I knew at uni went to one to prepare for his finals! Can't remember if it paid off in his degree!

That's the idea :thumb2

It's different to the average hotel or B&B, the bods who stay there (probably) won't murder you in your bed and, who knows, you might just meet someone with a different view on life.

Some of the small villages these routes pass through have surprisingly wonderful accommodation with the best food and wine I've tasted in Spain......for you to find though :p

Did the Camino to Santiago a couple of years ago. Our outbound route took us through Roncenvalles/Burgos/Leon and for our return we tool the north coastal route via Ribadeo/Gijon and Santandar. It is a fantastic trip and SdC is a marvellous old city. We met and talked to many of the walking pilgrims en-route - lots of different nationalities. Definitely a trip to put on your bucket list.

Did the Camino to Santiago a couple of years ago. Our outbound route took us through Roncenvalles/Burgos/Leon and for our return we tool the north coastal route via Ribadeo/Gijon and Santandar. It is a fantastic trip and SdC is a marvellous old city. We met and talked to many of the walking pilgrims en-route - lots of different nationalities. Definitely a trip to put on your bucket list.

Respect! :bow

I can remember the grins of elation of the pilgrims at Compostela and was surprised at how fresh most looked. Then realised that they stopped short of the city and took an easy walk on the final day. Also saw a few Spanish school groups. Even more respect for the chalkies!

I walked the Ruta Frances last September/October.
From Saint Jean Pied Port in France to Santiago de Compostela in Spain.
800km in 31 days. I’m not religious and before I started not a walker either.
I can honestly say it was an amazing experience. There are people from all over the world walking for different reasons.

The accommodation is varied. Lots of the Albergues only accept pilgrims with a credential. A card to get stamped every day.
I paid from €5 per night. The biggest room was with 71 other beds. Noisy!!

As has been said, a lot of the footpaths are just that. No vehicles. Others run alongside main roads.

As a life experience I’d say give it a go. It was definitely an adventure.

The Camino Ingles is relatively short, being from La Coruna. Saying that, a successful crossing of the Bay of Biscay in a mediaeval ship was probably equal to a few of the other caminos put together!

Back
Top Bottom