I hate these bloody wheels...

Love the look of the spoked wheels but couldn't be bothered with the hassle in cleaning them so went for this option on the Rallye

25zrwuo.jpg

Wasnt a purchase option at my dealer and didn’t want to buy another set of wheels.

Irrelevant response I know, but I grew up in Portstewart/Old Coach Road. Where was this photograph taken? Battersea have my bike at the moment so I am bored.

Irrelevant response I know, but I grew up in Portstewart/Old Coach Road. Where was this photograph taken? Battersea have my bike at the moment so I am bored.

The Bishop's Road, just down from the Gortmore Viewpoint if you know it?

Got you now. Must be possible to see across to Islay from up there. If you're ever in Surrey I can give you a set of Shad panniers which would look good on your Rallye (dare I say it, better than a topbox).

day

Got you now. Must be possible to see across to Islay from up there. If you're ever in Surrey I can give you a set of Shad panniers which would look good on your Rallye (dare I say it, better than a topbox).

day

That area is overlooking Magilligan, Lough Foyle then over to Donegal.

After my Tiger and various offroad vehicles I too grew tired of spoked wheels which is why, although I preferred the colour, I didn't go for the Ride spec. I just can't stand spokes and I'm not likely to take my GS offroading anyway. If I want to go off road I'll do it on a lighter bike.

So, after 18 months of having my Tiger I found These:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/72pcs-Wheel-Spoke-Wraps-Covers-Rims-Skins-Guard-Protector-Motocross-Pit-Dirt-NEW/282785614910?hash=item41d7560c3e:m:mpwLZwQNttajMuDVUifV1FA

Now you may laugh (mine were black) and you may think that they won't stay on at high speed but they really do!! You just cut them to size (may not need to on a GS). They don't affect the balance either.

I actually sprayed some lithium grease inside them just as a water repellent so that the spokes didn't go rusty without me noticing. They were on there for about 18 moonths in rain and shine and when I sold the bike, I took them off and the spokes were as shiny as the very first day.

They are much easier to clean once on, they don't need cleaning as often (if they're black) and they cost peanuts. They take about 1/2 hour each wheel to fit.

I really don’t know what all the fuss is about.
Radio on, mug of tea and 5 minutes each wheel and I don’t even have a center stand (I have to roll it backwards and forwards). Use car shampoo then dry off and apply GT85.

I get BMW Central Edinburgh to clean my bike, when it gets ACF50 treatment, a service or any excuse to visit, goes in dirty and comes out clean..:hapybnce:

Ha ha ha ... Never clean my bike but my dealer refuses to work on it until it's clean.
It's all part of the service I tell myself but no doubt I'm paying for iot somewhere

Once read a top tip on here for cleaning spokes (think it was from Bakerman) and that was to use hairy string and toothpaste.... still seemed like too much work for me!

I like to try and keep the wheels (and the rest of the bike) clean and the GSA spoke wheels are a major pain in the arse to keep clean!

For cleaning ive been using the BMW branded rim cleaner - which is actually very good and not too badly priced (the BMW motorcycle cleaner is very well priced and is also excellent - i suspect it is re-branded SDoc100 gel but actually cheaper to buy the BMW branded stuff!)

ive found that spraying the rim cleaner around the rim and then using a wheel brush similar to those shown earlier in the thread - and passing it right through the wheel between each pair of spokes at the rim end to agitate the cleaner. Leave it a few minutes and rinse off with a hose - this does the job well and doesnt take too long.

As noted before, either GT85 or silicone spray when they are dry makes them look like new and helps stop dirt sticking to them in the first place.

@win;that is a sweet looking bike...:thumby:
Origional GS cast wheels painted black I assume ?
Without the seat low enough for short people without loss of ground clearance,less weight and better mass centralization like Honda always advertises...;)
I like it !

Back
Top Bottom