The next 20 years

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Next month I will have owned my 1100gs for 20 years. For 16 years it was my only transport (currently) and it's got 167K miles on the clock - although the speedo has stopped working :D

It had a Mikeyboy rebuild at 114K (not engine) but apart from this and the pre-98 gearbox rebuild, it just been consumables and it runs fine.

If I was to buy a 1200 GS for the next 20 years which should I go for?

Thanks for info and opinions :beerjug:

You're obviously not one to be influenced by the latest 'bells and whistles', so all you should do is:

Get a set of Wilbers adj shocks, some road-orientated tyres............

And continue on, with a smug feeling - that you still have a bike that can do all you need of it.

Do you really want or need a 1200?

Get a new speedo, count more miles! :thumb

Thanks for the replies.

I've got the bike set up for me with seat, screen, shocks, luggage etc.....

I had this debate with myself at 114K miles and decided to keep the bike and it's been great - however, just lately I've been wondering if a newer bike would be nice.......and more economical in the long run. This has mainly be brought on by my wife's 1200 LC :blast.

We've got 1, maybe 2 long trips planned over the next 10 years and in the meantime we have a longish distance holiday every other year - 3 to 5K miles interspersed with a leisurely camping holiday of around 2K miles.

Would I get more pleasure riding a lighter and faster 1200 and would it cost me less in maintenance as more and more stuff needs replacing on the 1100?
or
Do I just think that £6-8K on a 1200 is a lot of maintenance for the 1100, forgo the extra riding pleasure and get my kicks out of running and old, high mileage bike and enjoy the looks of admiration that comes with that? :eek::augie

Thanks for your opinions :beerjug:

If you spent half a year’s depreciation of a new 1200 on parts and fettling for the 1100 I’d imagine you’d still be in credit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For £6k-£8k - sure you will enjoy it a newer 1200.

Get one, for this year - and come autumn, reassess and sell if not a keeper.

(Meanwhile - fettle the 1100 for either sale or keeping)

At the moment the 1100 doesn’t need any fettling.......but over the next say 15 years?????

Bear in mind that it is my everyday transport, in 10 years time it will be 32 years old - how many every day bikes are that old.
If I buy, say a 2011 TC now, it will be 17 years old in 10 years time - 5 years younger than my bike is now.

BlackAl - unfortunately I have neither the money or garage space to buy a 1200 for a year to see if I like it (I’m sure I would :D) but it’s a great idea and one I’d like to do.

Thanks for letting me think out loud :beerjug:

Financially it (almost) always makes sense to keep the older bike. That shouldn't affect your decision too much either way though as bikes are about more than what's left in the bank balance.

I just can't get on with the WC ones though. I really want and can afford one - I love the looks and the additional power, then I test ride them and hate the fuelling and fly-by-wire throttle and general feeling of disconnectedness and go back to my Twin Cam. I just prefer a more analogue bike I guess.....and the thought of a TFT depresses me - I look at those enough the rest of the day!

Next month I will have owned my 1100gs for 20 years. For 16 years it was my only transport (currently) and it's got 167K miles on the clock - although the speedo has stopped working :D

It had a Mikeyboy rebuild at 114K (not engine) but apart from this and the pre-98 gearbox rebuild, it just been consumables and it runs fine.

I'd go for a TC 2010 - 2013, mind you I got 112k out of a SC before trading in, but the TC is the more refined....apparently :blagblah

Id go for the 1200 between 2010 and 2013 they are worked out and are good value. My ones done 66k and no oil usage. Taken uit the exhaust valve so no problems with seizing!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

If you go 1200 I'd aim for a twin cam. Pre twin cams are literally two a penny and have had their day in terms of desirability should you decide to sell it on. Not that they're not perfectly good bikes mind you.

Personally I'd look for a good 1150 and bank the difference. I have both the above and the 1150 imho is a much nicer bike and better ride if a little heavier. The 1150 should be a tad pokier than your 1100 - how much do you really need?

IMHO the twin cam was the best GS, and I've had them all from the 1100 through to the early WC. I'd be having a look at one of these, keeping the 1100 and slowly restoring it to it's former glory.

Thanks for all the input.

I have been thinking that a TC is probably the way to go for me - I like the power of the WC but it's just too Japanesee in my mind.

Ideal scenario would be to keep the 1100 but I just don't have the space. In reality I would probably never use it - I have an airhead scrambler for blatting around in the summer and a 250 trail bike for green lanes. I just have to steel myself for parting with something that has been a big part of my life for 20 years (sniff :()

:beerjug:

IMHO the twin cam was the best GS, and I've had them all from the 1100 through to the early WC. I'd be having a look at one of these, keeping the 1100 and slowly restoring it to it's former glory.

On balance I think I would agree if with that statement having had GS of some form or another since 1987....including an early WC. The only proviso would be the fitting of an AFXIED unit or having a remap as this transforms the bike and gets rid of the emissions hole.

However, I think a post 2008 SC bike is a great ride as well. I do remember not being blown away when i test rode a TC when my SC was in for a service. I didn't think it was different enough to justify a change. Same thing applies on the remap etc.

Don't do it.

If you remember, I moved from a 1200 to an 1150. The 12's are a great bike but they have weaknesses. Any weaknesses that are likely to happen with your 1100 will already have happened and if you keep it you just have consumables to replace.

Everybody says the twin cam is the one, if you do go for a 1200, and using it as your daily ride you can get the engine painted each year to make it look nice again. :hide

Good luck whichever way you go, however, I think you've already made up your mind and are just hoping for some justification. :thumb2

Don't do it.

If you remember, I moved from a 1200 to an 1150. The 12's are a great bike but they have weaknesses. Any weaknesses that are likely to happen with your 1100 will already have happened and if you keep it you just have consumables to replace.

Everybody says the twin cam is the one, if you do go for a 1200, and using it as your daily ride you can get the engine painted each year to make it look nice again. :hide

Good luck whichever way you go, however, I think you've already made up your mind and are just hoping for some justification. :thumb2

Hi tufty - I wondered if you’d see this ;)

You’re right, of course, I will regret it.

But as an everyday and holiday bike with at least one long trip planned (possibly Oz) in the not so distant future, I just think my bike has seen better days - it’ll need another major overhaul at 200K, if not before.

If it was an airhead it might be worth it. It’ll be a wrench and I’m still not 100% sure but I’ll test ride a TC and see.

You never know - I might even throw out my old cardigan as well :rob :D

PS I’m out in Derbyshire over the weekend if you fancy a reccy

Hi tufty - I wondered if you’d see this ;)

You’re right, of course, I will regret it.

But as an everyday and holiday bike with at least one long trip planned (possibly Oz) in the not so distant future, I just think my bike has seen better days - it’ll need another major overhaul at 200K, if not before.

If it was an airhead it might be worth it. It’ll be a wrench and I’m still not 100% sure but I’ll test ride a TC and see.

You never know - I might even throw out my old cardigan as well :rob :D

PS I’m out in Derbyshire over the weekend if you fancy a reccy
Don't Do it , ------------ throw out the old cardigan ,, or the old bikie , especially the old cardy :D

Ps I still have that twin cam , and can well afford to buy any of the current crop of shiny machines , of the 30 + machines I have owned it's by FAR the best all round machine I have had so far , it has 36 k so far and I am keeping for the foreseeable , it's been to the Nordkapp since I saw you last , and is heading back that way this summer :beerjug:

My 2010 Twin Cam GSA is now on 74,000 miles ...final drive rebuild by Mikeyboy, along with a general fettle, and it runs great....it's been said by a few , the best GS I've owned ..and I've had a few :)

Don't Do it , ------------ throw out the old cardigan ,, or the old bikie , especially the old cardy :D

Ps I still have that twin cam , and can well afford to buy any of the current crop of shiny machines , of the 30 + machines I have owned it's by FAR the best all round machine I have had so far , it has 36 k so far and I am keeping for the foreseeable , it's been to the Nordkapp since I saw you last , and is heading back that way this summer :beerjug:

:D
My plan was to keep the 1100 and fit a sidecar for my old age but I haven't got the garage space. The TC certainly looks the one to go for.
Back up to Nordkapp again - must be good. We're off to Morocco at Easter, would have liked to have done Norway with the PMVern crew but annual leave and money restrictions and all that.

A. was talking about a summer reunion - we'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom