2008 GSA Shocks

I think by the year 20012 we'll be using time travel or some sort of beam me up scottie.......you won't have to worry about shocks!

Sent from a U11

They will either be WP or Showa depending on the year.

Wiser people will know which is which, I have some bare (Wilbers modified, no electrics) 2008 shocks available if anyone would like to PM me? No leaks

2008 will be Showa & 2012 are White power.
I have a 2012 GS with Wilbers fitted with ESA units from a 2009 GS ( would have been Showa)
All works OK except the calibration on the one helmet + luggage position is a little out. This is only obvious when studying the GS911 calibration data.

The Showa factory was washed out by the 2011 tsunami. BMW could not wait for the plant to be rebuilt so went to WP.
Either type will physically fit the bikes but WP and Showa ESA units are not cross compatible.

Also....the ESA on post 2010 bikes is ESA 2. Need to check with the dealer that a mix of pre and post ESA units will function properly.

Also....the ESA on post 2010 bikes is ESA 2. Need to check with the dealer that a mix of pre and post ESA units will function properly.

Showa and WP ESA are not comparable. The bike electronics are different so they will not co-exist.

2008 ESA I
2012 ESA II

As stated above, they are completely different.

2008 ESA I
2012 ESA II

As stated above, they are completely different.

From my experience they are not that different .
The rebound damping motors seem to be the same and the calibration on the rear pre-load motor is only a few steps different max and min the center position (one helmet +luggage) is a lot closer to the high position.
After fitting 2009 ESA units to my 2012 and checked the calibration with a GS911 I expected them to be incompatible from the reports I received.
The reason I used the 2009 units is because they were already fitted to a set of Wilbers purchased from this forum, my intention was to swap the ESA units as on the OEM shocks this is only a few minutes job.
Unfortunately with the Wilbers you have to de-gas the shocks to change the ESA units. When it comes to the time to get the wilburs serviced I will have the 2012 ESA units fitted.
The 2009 units have been on the 2012 bike for 24K miles so will soon be due for shock service.

Wilbers have a 36 month warranty from new (I don't know if there's a mileage limit) but to keep the warranty, they require the shocks to be serviced every 15K miles.

Wilbers have a 36 month warranty from new (I don't know if there's a mileage limit) but to keep the warranty, they require the shocks to be serviced every 15K miles.

I had heard that about the warranty, but as I purchased them second hand I don`t expect any warranty.
As they are still performing very well I feel they will be good for 30k between services.
I have ridden bikes with more than 30k on an OEM shock which have still felt ok.

I wasn't trying to suggest you "should" get them serviced. But it does sort of make sense. The OEM are not especially high spec so internal clearances etc wont be uber fussy. A Wilbers is pretty high end so nay debris or oil breakdown will have an effect. The shocks can feel ok but dirt, wear particles, etc wont be doing the insides any favours.

Bike suspension is high precision stuff 20K to 25K on the same small amount of oil is about as far as I would want to take it. Leave it longer and they might be needing to replace parts (more expense) that otherwise would be ok.

Just my 2p. I let the OEM run for 33K on back and 60K on front. Neither was leaking but performance was well down the scale.

Back
Top Bottom