Question on what you'd expect a dealer to do in this situation

sagalout

Reaction score
So, took my bike in for a tyre change last week, to a well know and respected dealer.

Also asked them to look at the brake failure issue from my other thread.

The service receptionist first told me that the diagnostics wasn't showing anything wrong so they would have to investigate. I said I was pretty certain it was the rear wheel speed sensor, as the speedo is dead for the first few miles, then kicks in (advice from other thread).

She then went away and came back half an hour later to say that they had 'broken the valve' during the tyre change, and they would have to order another one which would take a couple of days so would I be ok to take a loan bike. She also said that the 'sensor cost' was going be £100 odd quid. I honestly can't remember the wording she used at this point but I presumed she was referring to the rear wheel speed sensor so said that was fine.

I then get a call yesterday to say that the mechanic thinks the brake failure warning might be the loom, and would I authorise an hours work to investigate. I asked if the RWS hadn't fixed the problem and she said they hadn't ordered it yet, only a new tyre pressure sensor which was odd as I was supposed to be picking the bike up. It then dawned on me that when she gave me the cost on friday she was actually talking about the tyre pressure sensor and not the rear wheel sensor. They are a similar price.

My questions is, as the dealer broke the TPS during a tyre change (it was fine when I took it in) then is it fair to bill the customer for it?? I recognise that I may have given authority for it accidentally, but that was down to a lack of clarity and confusion from the service receptionist, who definitely initially said that it was the valve they had broken, and hadn't ordered the rear wheel sensor.

Their service manager is calling me back apparently but just wanted to sanity check that I wasn't being unreasonable. :nenau

If they had been clear that there was a cost of the tyre pressure sensor I wouldn't have had it replaced - I'm quite happy checking the pressure manually!

If they had been clear that there was a cost of the tyre pressure sensor I wouldn't have had it replaced - I'm quite happy checking the pressure manually!

Potententially Mr MOT tester wont be - and a failure will be given.

Its now part of the MOT - if the vehicle is showing as having TPS sensors fitted, they must work

Interesting.

With no sensor does it throw a warning light? I don't think it gives a reading until the bike is moving does it?

Dealer pays for the item the dealer's employee broke through being clumsy is my opinion.
The TPS usually only "wake up" when the wheel is turning.

Potententially Mr MOT tester wont be - and a failure will be given.

Its now part of the MOT - if the vehicle is showing as having TPS sensors fitted, they must work

you sure you are happy with that advice?

hmm, plot twist.

Spoken to the Service Manager who said it's because the metal valve caps I put on basically fused to the valve and it sheared when they tried to remove.

he has the parts so will take a look when I get there. Still annoyed that I accidentally authorised it though thinking they were talking about the sensor I actually wanted replacing!

I changed to plastic valve caps for that reason, the metal ones looked very nice but were corroding on the threads.

R
It sounds like the valve body is zinc alloy. If that is the case, then snapping off would fit. But it doesn't seem to match went the cap would corrode onto it?

Not much help for your story. But maybe post some pictures of the broken valve.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

So, took my bike in for a tyre change last week, to a well know and respected dealer.

Also asked them to look at the brake failure issue from my other thread.

The service receptionist first told me that the diagnostics wasn't showing anything wrong so they would have to investigate. I said I was pretty certain it was the rear wheel speed sensor, as the speedo is dead for the first few miles, then kicks in (advice from other thread).

She then went away and came back half an hour later to say that they had 'broken the valve' during the tyre change, and they would have to order another one which would take a couple of days so would I be ok to take a loan bike. She also said that the 'sensor cost' was going be £100 odd quid. I honestly can't remember the wording she used at this point but I presumed she was referring to the rear wheel speed sensor so said that was fine.

I then get a call yesterday to say that the mechanic thinks the brake failure warning might be the loom, and would I authorise an hours work to investigate. I asked if the RWS hadn't fixed the problem and she said they hadn't ordered it yet, only a new tyre pressure sensor which was odd as I was supposed to be picking the bike up. It then dawned on me that when she gave me the cost on friday she was actually talking about the tyre pressure sensor and not the rear wheel sensor. They are a similar price.

My questions is, as the dealer broke the TPS during a tyre change (it was fine when I took it in) then is it fair to bill the customer for it?? I recognise that I may have given authority for it accidentally, but that was down to a lack of clarity and confusion from the service receptionist, who definitely initially said that it was the valve they had broken, and hadn't ordered the rear wheel sensor.

Their service manager is calling me back apparently but just wanted to sanity check that I wasn't being unreasonable. :nenau

Try 50/50 ?

I have a 57 plate gs 1200 and snapped the rear valve off putting air in. I subsequently heard they are brittle which didn't surprise me as I wasn't being ham fisted with mine.

£100 fitted and computerised to the bike isn't particularly harsh for the job.

Good luck.

hmm, plot twist.

Spoken to the Service Manager who said it's because the metal valve caps I put on basically fused to the valve and it sheared when they tried to remove.

he has the parts so will take a look when I get there. Still annoyed that I accidentally authorised it though thinking they were talking about the sensor I actually wanted replacing!

That happened on my rear wheel. I managed to get the cap off but it was stiff all the way and I now need a new valve stem seal kit for £25, plus the costs to fit it.

Back
Top Bottom