Fuel pump failure

Travellermacp

Reaction score
Have a 2007 1200gsa. I hadn't used the bike in about 2 weeks, but before that had used it about weekly and it started fine.
Anyhoo, I tried starting at it would spin fine but not fire. The battery started to get tired, so I used my power pack jump starter. Again spun fine but did not fire.
Called home start and they tried their jump leads to same effect. Was recovered to purchasing dealer for them to sort under warranty.
Dealer have said that it has a fuel pump failure (which is also what home start guy guessed).
Having only ridden the bike about 6 times, I'm not overly impressed with this turn of events.

Is a fuel pump failure common ?

I bought a BM for reliability, but I guess that not quite the case....

Glad it's under warranty, as dealer said it's around £400 part only......

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you want bullet proof reliability you bought the wrong bike.

The fuel pump is driven by an electronic controller. They can and do fail especially the older (bare metal) ones. Remove the controller and test the pump with wires direct to the battery/earth.

A used perfectly good pump motor is about £80 and you can get new aftermarket pumps for under £50. The controller is BMW only for about £80.

Have a 2007 1200gsa. I hadn't used the bike in about 2 weeks, but before that had used it about weekly and it started fine.
Anyhoo, I tried starting at it would spin fine but not fire. The battery started to get tired, so I used my power pack jump starter. Again spun fine but did not fire.
Called home start and they tried their jump leads to same effect. Was recovered to purchasing dealer for them to sort under warranty.
Dealer have said that it has a fuel pump failure (which is also what home start guy guessed).
Having only ridden the bike about 6 times, I'm not overly impressed with this turn of events.

Is a fuel pump failure common ?

I bought a BM for reliability, but I guess that not quite the case....

Glad it's under warranty, as dealer said it's around £400 part only......

I wonder if its the fuel pump controller, rather than the pump itself? They seem to be a weak spot - I've taken to carrying a spare on my 1200ST after reading on here how many folk have had one fail. They're fitted outside the tank, so a roadside repair is possible. I paid £49 for mine off eBay - its the part in the bottom left of the pic, 2 screws hold it in place.

A complete new pump is £345 from BMW, the controller is £130.

Pete

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 713
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I've been told it's the pump itself, hence the cost. It's being sorted under warranty, so at least once replaced, it shouldn't go again in my ownership. (?).

you have maybe only been riding it for 6 times but it is still a 10-11 year old bike!

Fuel pump isn't that common but the controller is if it doesn't have the updated version.

These bikes are not reliable. They got better before the switch to WC but the pre 2008 have a fairly poor reputation on various fronts.

you have maybe only been riding it for 6 times but it is still a 10-11 year old bike!

Fuel pump isn't that common but the controller is if it doesn't have the updated version.

These bikes are not reliable. They got better before the switch to WC but the pre 2008 have a fairly poor reputation on various fronts.
Ok, thanks. What else are weak spots pre 2008?

Staying fuel-themed - the fuel sender strip, the thing that tells the gauge how much is in the tank....a regular failure, I believe. Mine went earlier this year, £180 fitted for a new one. Mine made it to 30k miles, I'm told some replacements can last only for a short time! :eek:

Pete

Staying fuel-themed - the fuel sender strip, the thing that tells the gauge how much is in the tank....a regular failure, I believe. Mine went earlier this year, £180 fitted for a new one. Mine made it to 30k miles, I'm told some replacements can last only for a short time! :eek:

Pete
They don't fail all that often, I've had my bike, an 06 for nearly 8 years and I've only had seven of them fitted,:D

Ok, thanks. What else are weak spots pre 2008?

The expensive one is the final drive bearing failing. Some last longer than others but they all fail many with a stupidly low mileage.
Finish is terrible in them, if you don't majorly protect it with something like ACF 50 it will corrode before your very eyes.

Have a search and you will soon find them, many of them are just stupid niggly things. Some of them but not many are stuck at the side of the road.

I bought mine a 2006 GSA 7 years ago almost to the day, within a month the clutch slave cylinder went a few weeks later the fuel pump controller went. I thought here we go I've bought a dog :blast
The salesman was very apologetic but both issues were resolved under warranty the bike hasn't missed a beat since 35000 later ;)

A couple of years ago the bike was in for a recall to change out the fuel pump and rear disk flange, in changing out the fuel pump it buggered up the fuel strip sender.

This proved to be quite a frustrating fix over months of re calibration and new fuel strips. In the end a call was made to BMW UK who resolved it.

Keep an eye on your fuel level after you get it back, if it goes to zero quicker than normal and showing empty when there is still 15 litres in there you will have a similar issue.

That said the final fuel strip fitted has worked beautifully since :thumb

The early bikes are better finished but the engine front timing covers and final drive cases do not stand up well.

The front timing cover can corrode (unseen) behind the alternator drive belt cover and can get bad enough to cause oil leaks. It's worth having the fuel tank and belt cover off to properly check.

The alternators corrode and crack but to be fair car alternators will do the same when not used every day.

Clutch slave cylinder is easy to replace - it sits on the back of the gearbox. The fluid is a light mineral oil DO NOT MIX WITH BRAKE FLUID. it costs a fortune from BMW, but Citroen LHM is the same stuff. The level rises as the clutch wears and can cause clutch slip if the level is too high.

Suspension bearings are VERY under lubricated. It's well worth stripping them and packing with grease.

Final drive caused BMW some problems with oil leaks. Their fix was to drop the oil level from 220ml to 180ml. I run my 08 with 220ml and have no problems. Bearing in mind the issues with internal bearings, it would be good sense to change you oil and top up to 220.

Last year my bike stopped with fuel in the tank. I took off the covers and fitted the bypass still no joy. By then the starter was struggling so bike had to be trailered home anyway. It turned out to be the fuel pump, but to be fair it was an aftermarket job. I fitted a used pump from Motorworks.

I also needed a new starter all that testing killed the already weak motor.

The fuel pump controller was a weak spot on teh bike but most have been changed and now it's very rare.

Your 07 GSA is as reliable as anything else out there despite some tales of woe on here. Any issues should have been sorted long ago but check with your dealer for recalls such as the rear wheel flange. As you've had a new fuel pump, you don't need to worry about the potential crack in the top of the fuel pump housing.

Things to watch out for are the final drive bearing failure which is pretty rare to be honest and catching it early will sort it for years.

Depending on your mileage, the rear suspension unit could well be goosed and a rebuild or a new after market one will transform the bike.

Mine is an 06GSA with 150,000 miles on the clock and keeps going on. Never had a failure that couldn't be rectified and it's the one bike I'd trust to go to teh back of beyond and it's been there regularly.

They are great bikes and pretty bomb proof so get out and enjoy your new steed.

Back
Top Bottom