Wheel balancing

All I can say is both front and rear wheels on my 14 GSA were way out of balance due to the big tire pressure sensor inside the wheels at the stem, I assume this is typical with TPS wheels. I can't imagine riding a bike at speed on a smooth road and not noticing a wheel/tyre close to 2 ounces out of balance.

Point being if you have gotten away not balancing in the past, maybe just aligning the tyre's dot with the stem, and you now have wheels with TPS sensors, you might keep this in mind. In reality they should allow for the sensor's weight when they manufacture the wheels. Possibly they do now, maybe when changing tyres someone with a newer bike can balance their wheels only and report back?

Or some of you with TPS still fitted with original tyres "how much weight is on your wheels"?

:blast :D :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516633016858.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516633016858.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 213
Surely someone just stuck those on as a prank, right?

The first retort of those who do not know what they are talking about or are incompetent is to result to insults.

Seems like I touched a nerve, guess if you can’t stand the heat, then keep the insults to yourself. Knobhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do fuck off, there's a good chap.:thumb2

Many years ago, I attended a Porche club Bridgestone tyres demo; where it was explained mathematically how a 10g out of balance multiplies as speed increases, and then shown a slomo video of an out of balance tyre at 100mph. The words fuckin scary were used a lot.

Now as I'm sad, I get my wheels balanced without tyre and then with, any tyre more than 20g gets refitted and if it won't go under then changed.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Do fuck off, there's a good chap.:thumb2

I’m sure a new thread can be started to look for the dummy you spat out. No doubt you’ll post some more swear words, but go steady (obviously like your riding) or else your entire vocabulary will be exhausted.

My 2017 GSA had no balancing weights on the rear wheel from new. Strange, as I’ve never known a wheel to be so perfectly balanced as to not need balancing weights. Swapped the Anakees off at the end of their life and had PR4 Trails fitted front and back. The fitter wasn’t equipped to balance the rear wheel. Done about 3K miles on the new tyres and haven’t noticed any oscillations or vibrations. Neither did I experience anything bad on the Anakees.

My 2017 GSA had no balancing weights on the rear wheel from new. Strange, as I’ve never known a wheel to be so perfectly balanced as to not need balancing weights. Swapped the Anakees off at the end of their life and had PR4 Trails fitted front and back. The fitter wasn’t equipped to balance the rear wheel. Done about 3K miles on the new tyres and haven’t noticed any oscillations or vibrations. Neither did I experience anything bad on the Anakees.

My original rear fitted with Anakee 3 was the same. No balance weights fitted. New Tourance Next fitted and balanced at the weekend. The fitter didn’t line up the red dot with the valve and has fitted weights. Not checked what they are yet, more interested in if they will stay on. I am not holding out much faith, as the fronts are lifting off. Return trip I think!

My original rear fitted with Anakee 3 was the same. No balance weights fitted. New Tourance Next fitted and balanced at the weekend. The fitter didn’t line up the red dot with the valve and has fitted weights. Not checked what they are yet, more interested in if they will stay on. I am not holding out much faith, as the fronts are lifting off. Return trip I think!

So it seems BMW isn’t concerned with balancing the rear wheel on the GS from new.

So it seems BMW isn’t concerned with balancing the rear wheel on the GS from new.

Interesting that the fitter didn’t align the dot. We were always told to do this on all tyres as it does indicate the lightest point of the tyre which goes against the valve, and therefore balances the tyre as much as possible prior to balancing.

There was one brand of tyre, cannot recall which that was the opposite, i.e. the dot went opposite the valve, but it’s a few years since I did it for a living. That said of the thousands of tyres I’ve fitted, cars, bikes and vans, quite a few never needed balancing. In my experience Michelin always took quite a bit, but things may have moved on since I left the trade.

:rolleyes:Counterpoint - my 2017 GSA had balancing weights on the rear wheel from new. So it seems BMW is concerned with balancing the rear wheel on the GS from new.
Alan R

I’m sure a new thread can be started to look for the dummy you spat out. No doubt you’ll post some more swear words, but go steady (obviously like your riding) or else your entire vocabulary will be exhausted.

"Mouth", "trousers", "and", "all" - arrange these words into a well known phrase or saying.

Feel free to ask for help.:rolleyes:

"Mouth", "trousers", "and", "all" - arrange these words into a well known phrase or saying.

Feel free to ask for help.:rolleyes:

Happy to put my money were my mouth is.

Did you get help writing those long words, ahh bless. End.

That must be expensive.

Not at all sunshine. When I speak, I speak from knowledge.

Whereas you are clearly experienced. As they say, never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I bow down to your experience, quick get back to the village before they notice you’re missing

Back
Top Bottom