Wheel balancing

lloyd_456

Reaction score
Morning everyone

I’m in need of a new rear tyre currently on anakee 3. A friend of mine has a tyre shop and can fit motorcycle tyres just can’t balance them. Is it such a big issue? Or is it best getting them balanced?

Just got to decide which tyre next as I do 60mile dual carriage way commute daily and going Gibraltar in May so might replace the pair!

I personally prefer to balance them. Your car tyres are balanced? My local BMW dealer only charges £20 to fit and balance to loose wheels.

However a lot of people do not

Thanks for the replies guys! Only decision now is wether get anakee’s again Or go for something else ��

Yes and get them dynamically balanced too instead of just static. I had a 1cm handlebar oscillation until I found a place that knew how to use their tyre balancing machine properly.

Thanks all! Anyone get on advice on tyre choice? Have researched the forum but not had a clear answer, I have anakees now as I’ve said but do a 60mile daily commute on dual carriage way so want something that won’t go square to soon etc

I personally prefer to balance them. Your car tyres are balanced? My local BMW dealer only charges £20 to fit and balance to loose wheels.

However a lot of people do not

That’s bargain.
My one ask for £80 for change tyres on bike. Have to ask them how much for loose wheels

Thanks all! Anyone get on advice on tyre choice? Have researched the forum but not had a clear answer, I have anakees now as I’ve said but do a 60mile daily commute on dual carriage way so want something that won’t go square to soon etc

If you do some off-road as well go for Heidenau K60 Scout. They last for long

as you know, asking for opinions on tyres you likely end up with as many recommendations as respondents... anyway, here's mine...

replaced the original Anakees with Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail; I never seemed to experience the much discussed road noise of the Anakees, but they had squared off and were tracking white line etc by approx 6k miles. The PR4s have now also done approx 6k miles, including 2-up NC500 from Essex and a lot of commuter miles. Still feel round and secure on the worst of winter roads (relative for us southern softees, that is).

Morning everyone

I’m in need of a new rear tyre currently on anakee 3. A friend of mine has a tyre shop and can fit motorcycle tyres just can’t balance them. Is it such a big issue? Or is it best getting them balanced?

Just got to decide which tyre next as I do 60mile dual carriage way commute daily and going Gibraltar in May so might replace the pair!

Balancing motorcycle wheels is very straightforward and the tool to do it doesn’t cost much. I’ve been doing if for a few years without problems. To balance wheeels with a single sided swinging arm, you need an extra tool.

If you fancy a ride to Gloucestershire I’ll do it for you.

If you don’t do it, you run the risk of vibration at certain speeds.

as you know, asking for opinions on tyres you likely end up with as many recommendations as respondents... anyway, here's mine...

replaced the original Anakees with Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail; I never seemed to experience the much discussed road noise of the Anakees, but they had squared off and were tracking white line etc by approx 6k miles. The PR4s have now also done approx 6k miles, including 2-up NC500 from Essex and a lot of commuter miles. Still feel round and secure on the worst of winter roads (relative for us southern softees, that is).

+1 on the PR 4's

If it's a problem finding someone convenient with a rear wheel adapter to balance each time you change the rear tyre I would suggest at least having the wheel itself balanced (w/o tyre) and just leave those weights permanently there. The rear wheel itself on my 14 GSA took almost 2 ounces somewhat opposite the stem, I think due to the tyre pressure monitor. That's a lot of weight and would surely be felt in some form when riding on smooth roads. I painted those weights black and they stay there. I just checked my current rear tyre and it only took 1/4 ounce.

As far as tyres mine came with Anakee 3's which were fine at first but within 3,000 miles or so I noticed the rear had squared off to the point I could really feel it when transitioning to corner. I replaced both with Continental TA2's at 4,000 which wore evenly, the rear kept it's nice semi-round shape over it's life, so I've used them ever since. I'm probably on my fourth set now and they generally last between 7-8,500 miles which is good for me.

I swapped mine wiv no balance jus valve dot 10 days around Europe no bother or bad wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swapped mine wiv no balance jus valve dot 10 days around Europe no bother or bad wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were lucky. Every single tyre is slightly different so should always have balanced to be safe

I always balance my wheels without the tyre, and stick the weights into the well of the rim with epoxy resin. Far neater than having them on show. Then as mentioned above, fit your new tyre and check the balance on the static balancer. If it needs less than 20 grams i dont bother, give it a spin and see, if it vibrates balance it again, don't forget you can get away with more on the rear than the front.

Stu

I’m in a similar situation at the mo. Original A3s have 6000 miles on them and the rear is shot. I narrowed it down to Metz Tourance Next, Conti Trail Attack 2 and Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Buckley Tyres prices for them fitted range from £230 to £260 (pairs). Booked in for Sat morning to have the Metz fitted.

Never had mine balanced and I've managed to live to tell the story.

If I had an R1 I might consider it, but for a GS, seriously?

Never had mine balanced and I've managed to live to tell the story.

If I had an R1 I might consider it, but for a GS, seriously?

You running road tyres or knobbies? I wouldn't care too much with knobbies but with road tyres the GS is like any other bike. I posted earlier in this thread but until I had my front dynamic and static balanced I had a good 1cm oscillation in the bars.

You running road tyres or knobbies? I wouldn't care too much with knobbies but with road tyres the GS is like any other bike. I posted earlier in this thread but until I had my front dynamic and static balanced I had a good 1cm oscillation in the bars.
Road tyres. just line up the dots and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom