Hotel in Tangers?

Snow White

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ladies and gents

Please can I pick your collective brains?

Will be arriving late (ish) in Tangers via the Tangers Med ferry and need a hotel for the night.
Whilst Trivago and the like are all very helpful, what they don’t have a tick box for secure bike parking.

So can anyone recommend a cheapish hotel (about 3***) for two blokes with two bikes for one night prior to disappearing into the wild blue yonder….

Many thanks

Recommendation:

Disappear in to the wild blue yonder first, then find a hotel. Tangier is a big shit h*le.

There's an Ibis in Fnideq about 20 mins from the ferry port. Stayed there a few times and has secure underground parking. Beer is expensive, but there is an excellent Pizza place called Cafe California 5 mins walk along the sea front from the hotel. Cafe is great for evening meal, ultra friendly staff and nice for breakfast as well, so book the Hotel room only.

http://www.ibis.com/gb/city/hotels-fnideq-v8885.shtml

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...x91200e6e201024ee!8m2!3d35.856395!4d-5.348028

As Greg says, avoid Tangier as it really is a shite hole. That also goes for Casablanca, avoid.

Disappear in to the wild blue yonder first, then find a hotel. Tangier is a big shit h*le.

As Greg says, avoid Tangier as it really is a shite hole. That also goes for Casablanca, avoid.

Thanks gents, certainly do plan to disappear ASAP, but will have been on the bikes for about 12 hrs so even we need a rest at some point!! :beerjug:

Thanks gents, certainly do plan to disappear ASAP, but will have been on the bikes for about 12 hrs so even we need a rest at some point!!
If that is the case, I would stay in Spain the night before and cross into Morocco the following morning with a fresh mind.... especially if this is your first trip there as Morocco can be a little overwhelming if you are not mentally prepared.

If that is the case, I would stay in Spain the night before and cross into Morocco the following morning with a fresh mind.... especially if this is your first trip there as Morocco can be a little overwhelming if you are not mentally prepared.

Or cross to Ceuta (a Spanish enclave) and find a hotel there. You'll find the border crossing from Ceuta into Maroc 'interesting'!

Or cross to Ceuta (a Spanish enclave) and find a hotel there. You'll find the border crossing from Ceuta into Maroc 'interesting'!

So out of a shithole and into the border crossing from hell. Thanks but, in my case, no thanks.
Others may disagree with this, but if you wish to enjoy a good case of food poisoning, have a meal from a Tagine.
In 12 days there, I only dined once from one of these, but in our party, 16 out of 21 had food poisoning the same night.
One of our party reckoned that it was great that his room had a Bidet. He had his ass on it and his head down the toilet at the same time.
The problem is not the Tagine itself, it it is just that they did not raise the temperature sufficiently for long enough to kill all the bugs.
Myke

So out of a shithole and into the border crossing from hell. Thanks but, in my case, no thanks.
Others may disagree with this, but if you wish to enjoy a good case of food poisoning, have a meal from a Tagine.
In 12 days there, I only dined once from one of these, but in our party, 16 out of 21 had food poisoning the same night.
One of our party reckoned that it was great that his room had a Bidet. He had his ass on it and his head down the toilet at the same time.
The problem is not the Tagine itself, it it is just that they did not raise the temperature sufficiently for long enough to kill all the bugs.
Myke

Don't drink the water either, it's foreign in'it.............. :rolleyes:

Re the OP, another vote here for a morning crossing and hitting the border with a fresh and awake mind.
I can think of little worse than hitting the border crossing for the first time after a long, knackering day and then trying to find your hotel in a town like Tanger.

Andres

If you get the timing right for the morning crossing you can watch the sun rise over 'The Rock' as you exit the port.... a stunning sight.

i-KZpPJkL-X3.jpg

Thanks gents.

I have been to Morocco before and have had the fun of getting across the boarder at Ceuta (before the new building went up) It was a lot of fun and a good experience!!! and I would do it again. If we did cross into Ceuta I would stay there for the night and cross the actual boarder with some decent sleep the following morning. However, unless anyone can tell me differently, you can't get insurance at the boarder at Ceuta? I know you can get away with no insurance :augie but if things go slightly wrong and I'm aware that it won't pay for anything but it might :nenau keep you out of jail. (I have enough sh*t going on without sitting in a Moroccan jail after running over a child that runs in front of you regardless of fault!) My insurance company won't do a green card and I'm not moving insurance companies (with the cost implication involved) just to try and get a green card. Besides a lot of the time their insurance is becoming cheaper than a green card

Hence why this year the cunning plan is to cross at Tanger's Med (which should be easier (famous last words) and we can get insurance at the port. But then just pop down the road to somewhere, pre-planned to stop for the night, eat, drink and then crack on to the wild blue yonder in the morning. That bit is planned :bounce1

I’ve been over many times andI agree with button moon.....stay In Algeciras and get the early ferry to Tanger Med...it’s simple enough and you can buy your insurance at the port otherwise it will be closed at night and you will be running around trying to find insurance...also you can change cash there.
As for food...I’ve taken plenty bikers with me and never had a problem...try to eat tagine where you see it cooked and not from the back of a cafe..
Have a look on Moroccan motorcycle tours on Facebook or tinternet....plenty info there.....and wash your hand regularly.

Will be arriving late (ish) in Tangers via the Tangers Med ferry and need a hotel for the night.
As many others have also suggested, I recommend that you stay overnight in Spain, then take a morning ferry to Tanger Med.

The ferrys can occasionally run late, and it is not unheard of for the last ferry at night to be cancelled. The last thing you need on a holiday is to arrive late (after dark) at Tanger Med, encounter an unexpected delay at customs or whilst getting insurance, then start riding towards Tangiers in darkness.

If you stay in Spain and take a morning ferry, you have all the time in the world to get well south of Tangiers after you arrive in Morocco, and you will be assured of riding in daylight all the time.

Not to mention that it gets damn cold as soon as the sun goes down at this time of year.

Michael

I bought a SIM card at the Insurance booth area, €10 for plenty of data for a month so I was not worried using Google Maps, Whatsapp etc. Grand! Handy to have a second unlocked phone or a dual-sim phone.

As many others have also suggested, I recommend that you stay overnight in Spain, then take a morning ferry to Tanger Med.

The ferrys can occasionally run late, and it is not unheard of for the last ferry at night to be cancelled. The last thing you need on a holiday is to arrive late (after dark) at Tanger Med, encounter an unexpected delay at customs or whilst getting insurance, then start riding towards Tangiers in darkness.

If you stay in Spain and take a morning ferry, you have all the time in the world to get well south of Tangiers after you arrive in Morocco, and you will be assured of riding in daylight all the time.

Not to mention that it gets damn cold as soon as the sun goes down at this time of year.

Michael

This tread started a year ago...

This tread started a year ago...
Yes, exactly a year ago to the day (January 18, which was when I posted my reply)... which was why I thought it was current. I didn't notice the 2018 vs. 2019 year difference.

But now, thanks to your diligent attention, I am aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom