Does camping gear get nicked off bikes?

When I was travelling backwards and forwards to Kazakhstan on a regular basis the so called customs officials at Atyrau used to have a bad habit of thieving from bags so I always left a pair of trollies with a very visible brown streak applied with a Mars Bar right on top :D

:jes I just spat my coffee out all over the carpet.... stained to fuck now :rob

The same question could be asked about your gear left in the tent when you go off for the day.....I have never had any problem, but I expect it happens.

Shame doesn't seem to deter people anymore - 'in my day' the shame of wronging someone held people 'behind the line' and common decency was more common than it is now. Or have I just led a sheltered life?

No, you just weren't aware that petty crime was actually statistically worse 'in your day' because you were never exposed to the news as you are these days.
You are bemoaning a golden age that never existed.

No, you just weren't aware that petty crime was actually statistically worse 'in your day' because you were never exposed to the news as you are these days.
You are bemoaning a golden age that never existed.

More thieving in London during the blitz than any other time in history apparently!

I drag a trailer a lot. It is fine at excess speed.

2d2441e7768d31b04128df2e82dcfa4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mono wheel trailers lean with the bike so less likely to get into a weave. Most cost silly money but they are not complicated things.

I’ve taken a set of car keys to a family in France after someone sliced their tent while they were sleeping and took their stuff.
Luckily, they didn’t take the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if you were the chap we met on the Eurostar in 2015, it was when the blocking of the port and tunnel had first started to kick off - You (they) shared the useful tip of using a strap from the bike to the hand rail.

I wonder if you were the chap we met on the Eurostar in 2015, it was when the blocking of the port and tunnel had first started to kick off - You (they) shared the useful tip of using a strap from the bike to the hand rail.

I have only ever once seen someone do that. It was a friend of mine who carries a retractable strap, just for the purpose.

Before you head out, you could try putting a pound of butter in the fridge.

I can't believe Wappers hasn't mentioned it................ Works a treat........ apparently.

Before you head out, you could try putting a pound of butter in the fridge.

I can't believe Wappers hasn't mentioned it................ Works a treat........ apparently.

If they ain’t got the message yet, they never will do.

If they ain’t got the message yet, they never will do.

We had butter in the fridge when the thieving bastards nicked our ebikes from the back of our motorhome at Imola so it’s not infallible.

With all the old tatty throwaway teeshirts, and old jeans I take on me travels, they are welcome to have it, I aint taking shitty gear home :jes

It requires faith. Try again.

Well there’s always going to be butter in the fridge when we’re away in it so if we don’t get robbed again I’ll put it down to the fact that something in there must have been shielding the magical powers.

I travelled to Eastern Europe 2 years ago with another rider. We we over in the Carpathians in Romania. Stopped for lunch and when we came out a few people were looking at the bikes taking pics etc... I didn't mind. It was mostly young ladies doing selfie poses for the likes of Instagram etc.. Then, a well dressed lady (mid 40's) and her partner came out and wanted to do the same. They stood in front of my bike posing for a pic. I then noticed that her hand was working it's way towards my tank bag. I think she saw that I saw and stopped any further advances. But.....it was a lesson learnt.

Simple rules for me: Always park your bike where you can see it. If there's nowhere to park, don't park up there. I don't leave my helmet or any gear on the bike and take the GPS with me. Everything else is well strapped on to the bike.

Same here

Back
Top Bottom