Honda moly for your splines

lukevds

Reaction score
Just a heads up, I've I'm the process of giving my bike a through service and tidy up and was struggling to find decent moly paste for the spline lube for a reasonale price but stumbled across this

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select...60-m-77-assembly-paste-grease-75g-2-65oz.html

Which seems like Good price picked mine up today which is the last bit before I try and put it all back together.
Hope it's useful to some of you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That’s a lot of cash for a very small tube. I assume assembly grease is just used to bed-in moving parts before the oil additives kick in to do the same job.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

That’s a lot of cash for a very small tube. I assume assembly grease is just used to bed-in moving parts before the oil additives kick in to do the same job.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a large tube of the Honda stuff bought aeons ago and it certainly works

Whats wrong with normal CV joint grease as used in cars ? thats what I use in mine ..

I think its to do with the fact that its the same surfaces in constant contact when it comes to splines.....so you need something that stays in place and doesn't 'wear' away. The Moly 60 is a paste, not a grease, which I think means it has a component that causes it to adhere/bond to a surface - grease doesn't necessarily do that.

Pete

From what I've read on the subject the advantage of Honda moly is the high molybdenum content around 40% if I'm not wrong.

This means that it is long lasting and continues to work when it dries out or is under high pressure such as when the splines mesh.

I originally put moly fortified grease on the splines but decided to go for the safety factor of the Honda moly. This is purely based on Internet research which as we know is always 100% reliable and never wrong.

That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a tub of this company's Moly 60, bought off eBay ages ago - http://www.united-oil-products.com/. I'm not sure if they sell it in small quantities though, I think someone had bought a large amount and then divided it up to sell on.

Smith and Allen https://www.smithandallan.com/ are developing a similar product which should be available soon - they usually sell stuff in quite small quantities.

BMW spec stuff is, I think, Microlube GL261, Honda Moly 60 being the equivalent. They obviously spec it for a reason.

Pete

Valeo automotive clutch kits come with a one shot sachet of spline lube. I used a spare one for my spline. I bet whoever services your car has a bunch in their stash.

Moly 60 contains 60% molybdenum disulphide, hence the name. It's a paste and the grease is pretty much there to hold the molybdenum disulphide in place. Moly grease (as used in CV joints), on the other hand is grease with a bit of molybdenum disulphide in it (5-10%, I think).
I bought Molyslip AS60 off eBay for my splines. Moly paste is dear for a small tub, but a little bit goes a long way, so it should last you years.

Just recieved my Honda moly 60 75g from TEGIWA
£19.49p delivered next day
and cheaper than importing it from America on @bay

Back
Top Bottom