Snap On 18v CT6850 Wrench

Mr Bean

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Snap On impact wrench that lacks torque - it won't undo nuts that are moderately tight.

It uses 18v ni-cad batteries that are fully charged (20-21v on my multimeter), spins up quickly - I have no reason to suspect it's not reaching the rated 2,200rpm.

I don't mind paying the £95.00 Snap On want to overhaul it, if needed. Before doing so, does anyone know if worn brushes could cause it to be weak, whilst spinning up quickly etc?

I've Googled it and come up with a blank.

Thanks.

How old are the batteries ?
Checking the no load voltage won't give an accurate indication of battery condition.
I would ask at local garage see if one of the mechanics will stick one of there batteries on your gun and do a quick test.

How old are the batteries ?
Checking the no load voltage won't give an accurate indication of battery condition.
I would ask at local garage see if one of the mechanics will stick one of there batteries on your gun and do a quick test.

Good idea - didn't think of that.

Cheers.

Batteries can have a good voltage, but lack amperage (grunt) as they get older.

Batteries can have a good voltage, but lack amperage (grunt) as they get older.

Thanks.

I did think that may be the case, but assumed if it were a fault with the batteries the gun wouldn't continue to rattle away when trying to release the bolt/nut.

A lad at work bought an 'as new' 1/2'' Snap on impact gun, very handy but I felt it never had the oomph it should have done - maybe thats how they are.

Flogging it and buy a Li-on battery version may be a better bet?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Even a used battery is going to cost £50 - if both batteries are fcuked I'd rather sell it and buy a new one.

Not snap on I know but I have a DeWalt battery drill where the batteries lost their power, probably a similar thing where they would drill into timber ok and last a reasonable time but put a masonry drill on them and they were flat in no time. On checking on replacement genuine batteries it was almost cheaper to buy another drill than replace 2 batteries - a trawl on eBay found Chinese copies that are at least as good as the DeWalt originals for a fraction of the price.

it might be worth a look but use the info on the battery rather than the snap on model number.

Thanks for your comments.

I'll try ossa's suggestion first as I'm not convinced it's a battery problem - due to the way it still rattles away at speed, even though it isn't undoing the fixing.

If it is a battery issue I'll buy non genuine replacements as there's quite a few on Amazon.

Thanks, a kind offer.

I'll drop you a PM.

I also have the same gun and same problem, it’s definitely the batteries. I’m going to get replacement batteries and build a new battery pack. Last time I looked it was about £25 for all the batteries and they come with solder tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New battery arrived, charged and installed.

Perfect, wheel bolts unscrewed straight away - couldn't ask for better.

Thanks all for the advice.

New battery arrived, charged and installed.

Perfect, wheel bolts unscrewed straight away - couldn't ask for better.

Thanks all for the advice.

Nice and helpful also, if any of my battery powered stuff looses power, at least I can look at the battery, you learn every day, good result :beerjug:

Just as an update.

The new Li-ion batteries worked fine, but the wrench still felt like lacked the 'grunt' it should have.

So I sent it and my CDR6850 drill to Snap On for their fixed price overhaul - both came back looking like new.

Changed the discs and pads on my car over the weekend and the difference was substantial - wheel and caliper bolts whizzed off. Having a fcuked wrist from an earlier bike accident wasn't an issue.

Now in the process of rebuilding the original Snap On batteries with new cells...

Just as an update.

The new Li-ion batteries worked fine, but the wrench still felt like lacked the 'grunt' it should have.

So I sent it and my CDR6850 drill to Snap On for their fixed price overhaul - both came back looking like new.

Changed the discs and pads on my car over the weekend and the difference was substantial - wheel and caliper bolts whizzed off. Having a fcuked wrist from an earlier bike accident wasn't an issue.

Now in the process of rebuilding the original Snap On batteries with new cells...

Good info that is, glad all sorted, hence why snapon is not cheap but worth it.............

Back
Top Bottom