Catalunya MotoGP

MaxB

Reaction score
Hello all.

Having planned my Spanish riding holiday around the Aragon GP last year (which I thoroughly enjoyed), I'm going to do something similar this year involving Catalunya. The general plan is ferry to Santander, a couple of days in the Pyrenees, Catalunya GP, then back west via a few days in the Matarranya (southern Aragon) and finally back north to Santander.

Which brings me to my question. Does anyone have any advice on prime spots to book seats at the Catalunya circuit? I could play it safe and go for the main stand (covered, which might be quite nice in the steaming hot sun), or go for something different. I quite like the look of the stands around the last complex before the start finish straight (Banc Sabadell/Europcar/Chicane RACC) as you would appear to get a view of quite a few corners, including the do-or-die spot where Rossi had Lorenzo on the final lap back in 2009.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Catalunya.png
    Catalunya.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 462
I was in the Europcar area last year and it was OK but not a great view of much of the circuit.
The beer was all alcohol free and tasted pish and no free water was available (unlike Mugello).
I camped right across the road from the circuit, in a local council run area, and it had great facilities.

We've been the last couple of years and sat in the Marquez stand just before 'Europcar'. You get a good view from 'La Caixa' to the entrance of 'New Holland' and there's also a screen although it's not that close..... Not sure you'd be able to see as many corners anywhere else, but we haven't tried anything before 'Wurth'. There's no roof to the stand, so take plenty of sunscreen or stay covered! Also if you're tall, pick a seat at the front of a section of seating (if you see what I mean) as the rows of seats are quite close together.

My favourite beef with Catalunya is that they have to scan your ticket to let you OUT of a stand..... This causes enormous queues in and out of the stand and none of the guys doing the scanning knew why they were doing it!

We stayed on the coast, in Calella, and rode in every day, good value hotels and plenty of bikes around all weekend.

Enjoy!

Interesting - thanks for the info on that section, guys.
Anyone tried the main stand on the start/finish straight?

We sat there on a Saturday practice a bit past the finish line and it wasn't good, you get a typical straight view and a sore neck at the end of the day.....

I will try to sort some pics out for you tomorrow, got some showing the view from where we sat and a couple from the start/finish grandstand.

My choice would still be the same place, it does get very hot in the sun, but if you can keep covered and hydrated it's ok. Take plenty of water in with you and nip out (if you have to) during a race. Friday you can watch from anywhere, Saturday too in theory, although you're supposed to sit in your seats.

If you choose the Marquez stand go into the circuit at the paddock entrance, it's easier to get into and out of too, there's loads of bike parking and a helmet/clothing park too (although the queue for it after the races on Sunday is huge....)

These shots are from the Marquez stand. Sorry they're phone pics

a>

a>

a>

The start straight

a>

a>

a>

Lebowski - thank you for taking the time to post up the pics and info - really useful.
Timaloy - thanks for the link to your detailed account.
The main stand doesn't look all that great, so I reckon that's out. Looks like a toss up between Marquez and Tribuna, while remembering to take a big hat and a long sleeved shirt. Marquez would seem to have the distinct advantage of being nice and close to the track, but the telly screen seems a long way off.
Decisions, decisions...

Lebowski - thank you for taking the time to post up the pics and info - really useful.
Timaloy - thanks for the link to your detailed account.
The main stand doesn't look all that great, so I reckon that's out. Looks like a toss up between Marquez and Tribuna, while remembering to take a big hat and a long sleeved shirt. Marquez would seem to have the distinct advantage of being nice and close to the track, but the telly screen seems a long way off.
Decisions, decisions...

No problem, for me that's what this place is for.....

You can make out what's going on from the screen, but without a zoom lens you'll never read the leaderboard on the side! Having just looked at the website again it looks like they might be putting another couple of screens in in that area. Possibly as they now seemed to have stopped faffing with the chicane?

If you go on the circuit website you can get a panoramic shot from each stand, although they are taken from the top of each stand by the look of it.

By the way, if you're coming into Santander and have time, the Wheels and Waves 'show' is on near Biarritz, it's worth a visit and is a lot less crowded away from the weekend.

http://www.wheels-and-waves.com/en/wheels-and-waves-biarritz-2018

Interesting you should say that - I also just came across a circuit map that seemed to suggest there is a screen just the other side of the track from the Marquez area. Good news if so...
Cheers, Lebowski.

Back
Top Bottom