R1200RS- Where do they live?

cornish

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if i'm being thick but where do folk post about the RS? Every other bike seems to be on here but that. Am I missing something?!

Cheers.

Hi all, apologies if i'm being thick but where do folk post about the RS? Every other bike seems to be on here but that. Am I missing something?!

Cheers.

Nobody really chats about them on here, shame really because to a lot off people they would be a better bike than the GS. There is a very busy forum which is quite good and is friendly. No up there own ass peeps so far found. It is http://r1200rsforums.com/

Get a ride back to back with the R1200r....... :rob

You might find it is the better bike.

Test rode one, was nice but not right for me as hip, knee and wrists became sore pretty quickly! Then rode the XR and couldn't stop grinning! Off went the GS and now i have the XR in the garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS is great. My favourite bike and would be my only bike if I could adjust the riding position so my hip does not play up after 100 miles. I use it for commuting and shorter trips now but last year I rode it to Provence at Easter and Brittany in September. Painful but enjoyable.
I have bought a Tiger Explorer for longer trips.
As stated up there, try the R1200R as well. Shares much with the RS but has wide, flat bars. Perhaps I should have tried one before I got the RS but as my mate says, the RS is the best bike BMW have made for decades :) I have tried the XR but I did not gel with it and I did not want another GS.
I'm a regular on the forum mentioned above.

Looks more like an RT!

why I liked it. See Wessie's post above. I tested the RS and loved it but the riding position was just a tad too sporty. The raised bars on this one sorted that and the other extras made it well suited as a tourer. Good price too. Still tempted but would need to sell my 12Rt first.

+1 to the R1200R.

I tested both back to back and really liked the R1200R. A really underrated bike I thought. Was very tempted..

Puggy

I had a go on a 1200r a couple of years ago, having convinced myself beforehand it was what I wanted. I was coming from a 1200 multistrada at the time, and though the r was great, I found the wind exposure at speed a bit off-putting. I then had a go on a R9 t and loved it! I know, I know. Ive hill topped it and changed the suspension and it is great fun on short blasts. But I want to do some touring again but don't want a full on tourer. (Excuse my impertinence for posting on the RT section!) Thats what leads to my interest in the RS. I will try and get a go on one next week and take it from there. New is virtually out the question, unless they offer me an irresistible deal like they did on the9T. ( Thanks BMW Wollaston Northants!)
So yes, the one posted above looks interesting. Thanks for your comments all.

They're out there ... trust me ;)

This bike belongs to Paul who owns a different albeit very well established BMW based forum - I've seen his Yacht ..... it's not as big as BHT's ;)

He brought me a stock R1200RS and wanted a faded orange and silver paint job in the same style as an original R90S. I advised him that it simply wouldn't translate into a decent scheme as a R1200Rs is just too angular with disjointed panels.

We spent an hour or so looking at colours and planning how they'd work out etc and we were good to go .... I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking!

IMG_6486 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6672 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6675 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6727 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6728 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6730 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6743 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6766 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6769 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6772 3 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6803 2 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_6804 2 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9856 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9853 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9870 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9862 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9859 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_9860 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Nope - makes it look like a budget Suzuki or Kawasaki.......:barf

Looked better as standard.

I think its a brilliant bike, previously I have had a GS, Multistrada, KTM, and the one before this the S1000r as I wanted to get back to a bit sporty, but whilst it performed faultlessly I could not stand the vibration through the bars, thats the reason I dont have a XR, also too that the XR is pig ugly.
The RS for the moment ticks all the boxes, its comfy, great for 2 up as I am introducing my boy to biking, deceptively swift and seems to be able to travel under the radar.

:)

Well, colour is somewhat of a subjective issue and each to their own, but that looks like a class job to me.
The ability to travel under the radar is certainly a plus point !

Back
Top Bottom