Flip front helmet. Touratech aventuro mod?

gwood

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice on helmet buying.
I have a list of wants:

Adventure style
Pin lock
Integrated sub visor
Flip front
Good quality

I know the flip front is the sticking point. I’ve been riding for a good few years with both normal helmets and flip front and I much prefer flip front for the convenience etc.

The best option I can find at the moment is the Touratech (eek expensive) aventuro mod https://shop.touratech.co.uk/riding-gear/helmets/aventuro-mod.html

I’ve looked at others including the Schuberth E1, which was ok but a bit tame looking and expensive (Schuberth also make the aventuro mod). A mate has the caberg touramax and can’t get on with it, saying it’s nothing but trouble and has put me off. The scorpion adx-1/adx950 has mixed reviews and seems poorer overall, but cheaper.

I’m asking if anyone know of any other helmets I should be looking for?

Or should I stop trying to find one helmet to do everything? Then just stick with a normal flip helmet for the road and a dedicated off road helmet for for when I know I’ll be doing off road stuff?

Any advice much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great lid. Although I can't get on with mine. Now the GS has gone I'm after a normal full face. My 6 month old one is on the bay of E. It's an XL in Stone.

Just buy the helmet (or helmets) that:

1. Fits your (not someone else’s) head properly

2. That suits your idea of style, the worthwhile expense (or otherwise), what image the helmet is meant to project and what statement it makes of you

You’ll then be happy

A mate has the caberg touramax and can’t get on with it, saying it’s nothing but trouble and has put me off.

Nothing wrong with the Caberg. I have one for sale at the moment. Comfy, light and I love the style and features. Most importantly it offers good protection for your head. So why am I selling it? I have the E1 and an Arai and I bought it on a whim. Cant justify 3 helmets with only one head!

If I had an accident on a motorcycle, the last thing I'd want is a 1.7kg helmet trying to rip my head off.

I have an ADX 1 -

So far so good, :)
The only niggles i can find are

The visor has too big a step on opening stops. somtimes you dont want to open the visor, but just have it cracked say 5mm to to stop misting / overheating.

The adx has a huge jump almost like half open (its not that bad, just feels that way) them the visor gives an odd field of view -

Full open isnt a problem though,

Good noise damping and the lid grips the cheeks well, even after 6 months.

If it had intrgrated Bluetooth , it would be a winner

The Caberg and ADX1 are both polycarbonate construction - hence the low price. Polycarbonate helmets tend to be lighter, but have a shorter life than fibreglass/laminate ones (as the plastic is apparently affected by UV over time), so personally I'd look at the E1 and the Touratech offering.

The E1 seems to be very much like a C3 with a peak (from the ones I have handled at shows), which is no bad thing as the C3 I have is a great helmet. I also use an Arai XD (American version of the Tour X) and - despite its lack of flip front and internal sun visor - is the helmet I use nearly all the time...

Why anyone would want a peak on a helmet is beyond me, just gets in the way when you are giving it beans.

I have particularly light sensitive eyes and with my old Shoei I had an illegal black visor with a dark tinted pin lock inside, and I was still squinting in bright sunlight.
Got my first peaked helmet, an Arai TourX, and the peak put my eyes in the shade and a black visor was all it took for me to stop squinting. Which meant I was no longer getting where I was going with eye strain and a headache. So by having a peaked helmet I am safer and faster.
After two Arai’s and an X-Lite, I am now using a Schuberth E1 which, for me, ticks all the boxes. Adjustable peak, internal sun visor, and flip front.
It works for me, whether it works for you only you can say.

Back
Top Bottom