Dolly for moving bike in garage, & battery chaarging

Sandyb

Reaction score
I am getting a R1200RT delivered shortly, but my main issue is that I normally reverse my bikes it my garage due to having a downward slope into the garage. But with the RT being larger and heavier I think it would be better to ride into garage forwards and turn bike in garage.

Due to limited space I will need to turn bike in the garage, so I was thinking about a Dolly for this either the type that locates on center stand only or there is one in MachineMart that the whole bike goes on. I was wondering f anyone has experience of these products and can either offer advice or recommendations.

On another issue it was suggested to use a maintenance charger, however BMW charge about £100 for their one but I currently have an Optimate 4 for my other bike, but I would just need to change program to can-bus for to use 12volt socket, again does anyone else use these for this or recommend spending the money for the BMW charger

You can also get turntables, couple of different types on ebay.

Al.

i wouldn't try and spin an RT on its stand ..bit heavier than that little GS he had in the Vid a dolly is the way to go if you have a smooth enough floor ....or why not just ride in and reverse it out ?

i wouldn't try and spin an RT on its stand ..bit heavier than that little GS he had in the Vid a dolly is the way to go if you have a smooth enough floor ....or why not just ride in and reverse it out ?

bit stuck for reversing / back pedalling an RT UP a slope !

I have an eBay turntable made from checker plate and also a Constands full mover, I can now load the bike onto the mover and push it to the side of the garage, much more space

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-30cm-L...173475&hash=item4d6b093bf9:g:xR8AAOSwY7taVyyk

Hi I had a similar problem, so now I ride in forwards, and I have painted a 'target' area on the floor to ride to, so I'm on the correct line for the bike to turn roudn without catching the garage walls (and crap on them). I then got one of the above and bolted a piece of checker plate (18"x12" approx) on the top.

The turntable I then slide under the bike whilst its on its side stand, and then pull it up onto the turntable on its centre stand, so the centre stand is central on the turntable. Then its simples, just put some light pressure on the rear of the bike and rotate it round..........cost £12 as I had the checker plate. The battery charger is mounted on the ceiling and the lead hangs down directly above the bike, so i just plug that it if required. Hope this helps, but there are lots of turntable gizmos out there.

Alistair

Thanks all for the suggestions, I am not keen or rotating with on the side stand, understand the technique but was never good at it with smaller bikes never mind the size of the RT.
I am favoring a turntable seems lots of options for them and looks the best and easiest solution.
Anyway thanks again for all the advice and suggestions

Hi

I have the same problem I have a piece of hardboard on top of a small carpet the hardboard shiny side down put the bike main stand on the hardboard and it will spin quite easy

I have an eBay turntable made from checker plate and also a Constands full mover, I can now load the bike onto the mover and push it to the side of the garage, much more space
+ 1 for constands, it has double castors, i have a thin carpet in the garage and it turns the gs on it, there was a video on u tube using it on a bmw,

I have modified mine with a ground anchor chain anchor mount bolted to one of the side arms, and a chain around the front wheel, via the channel, and then to the ground.
Not invincible but means they can’t just wheel the bike out of the garage

You can use your Optimate4 no problem. You only have to change to CanBus mode if you connect the charger through the DIN socket. I have a lead wired from the battery which I connect to the Optimate and, having spoke to one of their tech guys, it is not necessary to change to Can Bus mode. hope this helps. Allan

Thanks Allan,
Initially I have the din cable that came with the optimate 4, so I will change to canbus, but once I work out the layout of the bike for access to the battery I will probably wire direct instead of having to change charger settings all the time. I had a bad experience about 10years ago with a gs always loosing charge so keen to make sure this one is better and intent to get full use from the optimate to keep it in check.

Back
Top Bottom