Headlight not working.

carlhowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday the headlight (dip) failed to come on when the ignition was turned on....bulb changed.....same problem. Rear light (which is an led one) comes on with ignition. High beam comes on with switch. This is a 2005 GSA.
So today I swapped bikes round in the garage (I ride all winter no car) so I could use the other bike, a 2002 1150GS (this one is not automatic lights on). Lo and behold, turn lights on no dip beam or rear light.
What is going on? Any suggestions for a simple fix it is it going to take expertise beyond me and so a dealer.
HELP!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yesterday the headlight (dip) failed to come on when the ignition was turned on....bulb changed.....same problem. Rear light (which is an led one) comes on with ignition. High beam comes on with switch. This is a 2005 GSA.

Ah this is a 2005 1150GSa Se isn;t it ???

Engine needs to be running for headlamp to come on, on 1200 Hex heads!
Not on the 1150. And engine was running on both (one for 170 miles as I drove home from Cambridge yesterday evening, on high beam only.....crap!)

Sorry i re read the original post

It could be the load relief relay but I havent one here to check stuff on

Sidelamp circuit is Grey with a black trace

and If I can remember the power comes in from Terminal 7 of the load relief relay

P1040608-L.jpg

Sorry i re read the original post

It could be the load relief relay but I havent one here to check stuff on
I will see if I can swap one on to try.

I have had relays "stick" in the on or off position on bikes that hadn't been used for a while, without a total failure. You muck about with them and they come good and resume normal operation. Does your head in, as your never really sure if it was the problem.

I have had relays "stick" in the on or off position on bikes that hadn't been used for a while, without a total failure. You muck about with them and they come good and resume normal operation. Does your head in, as your never really sure if it was the problem.
I will try swapping the horn and load shedding relay over when I get in (out getting the third bike's MoT done). At least I will still have transport if it passes.

Try having a look at Fuse Eight - the one marked in the schematic as an empty slot.

I have a vague memory of having a similar problem and it turned out that on twinspark models this was introduced as a headlamp fuse - although it didn't appear in the manual or schematics.

I'll see if I can find the original post I put up asking the same question in order to confirm this...

EDIT - Bingo! If your instrument lights are also out then it'll be fuse eight. Original thread here...

Try having a look at Fuse Eight - the one marked in the schematic as an empty slot.

I have a vague memory of having a similar problem and it turned out that on twinspark models this was introduced as a headlamp fuse - although it didn't appear in the manual or schematics.

I'll see if I can find the original post I put up asking the same question in order to confirm this...

EDIT - Bingo! If your instrument lights are also out then it'll be fuse eight. Original thread here...
Instrument lights are working on TBD gsa (rear light working, dip not). On the gs the rear is also out, but that is not a twinspark (a late single spark)...but I will try everything this afternoon and report back.

YOU need to get a Sealey PPX, PP1, PP2, Tester in your arsenal

It allows you to see if a wire is Live or ground or if its zero circuit

You can also stick the crocodile clip against a bulb casing (or earth point if across 2 contacts) and touch the probe to the live side and see if you get a circuit (Green light comes on ) and to be sure to be sure you rock the switch forward you get a positive feed and the bulb should light

Fantastic tool Every motorcyclist (with at least a small degree of competency in electrics) should have one

update

I have got the lights working on the 2002 single spark 1150GS - not sure what I did, but it worked!

The 2005 twinspark 1150GSA still has no headlight. The rearlight (led) works and high beam is fine. The auxiliary spots also work (not sure what circuit they are wired into). But still no dip beam. I have replaced fuse 8 - no change. If it is the load shedding relay, would that not also stop the main beam working? If it is not a simple fix, the bike may get left in the garage until the next MoT is due (August) and they can sort it then.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I have got the lights working on the 2002 single spark 1150GS - not sure what I did, but it worked!

The 2005 twinspark 1150GSA still has no headlight. The rearlight (led) works and high beam is fine. The auxiliary spots also work (not sure what circuit they are wired into). But still no dip beam. I have replaced fuse 8 - no change. If it is the load shedding relay, would that not also stop the main beam working? If it is not a simple fix, the bike may get left in the garage until the next MoT is due (August) and they can sort it then.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Did you fix it?
Was it the load shedding relay?

Not the relay (swapped over relays on bike and between bikes). Still not working....resorting to dealer with MoT due this month.

Yes, but no idea where. The short part to bulb I replaced last year and spots taken off wiring to headlamp (and they work). Spots rewired last year as previous owner had fitted them using cheap wire....insulation cracking.

Back
Top Bottom