Mapsource crashing when routing on Italy map

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit of an odd one this - I still use Mapsource, yeah I know Basecamp is the latest but it is frankly godawful to use.

I have been trying to create some routes in Italy and every time I do Mapsource crashes. Using the routing tool, click on a start point, select the next point, Mapsource goes into calculation mode and crashes out.

I have changed the version of mapping from 2018.2 to 2018.1 to see if that was the issue but the result is the same. I have also tried it on a different laptop - same result.

It only does this when on Italy mapping - I have tested routing in UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece etc and that all works fine.

Anybody else had this or have any idea what is going on?

There are some old (2012) comments on the www with bods having a Mapsource problem with Italy.

I would start by checking your settings. For example, that you haven’t clicked onto a mountain pass and have seasonal closures ticked or onto a motorway when you’ve set it to favour goat tracks.

Richard, my routing preferences are set at avoiding Toll Road, Unpaved Roads, U-turns, Date and Time Closures. Road Selection is bang in the middle, Calculation set for Faster Time, Route Style is set to Auto Routing.

I have been trying to set a route from Brescia towards Lake Garda so no mountain passes or goat tracks involved;)

Ok.

Many years ago I created a whole bunch of Italian routes on my PC, using Mapsource.

I do recall that a couple did throw me a challenge creating the route between some points. Sometimes I had to literally force the route to take a turn by clicking in very small increments along the roads I wanted to use. Sometimes it was because of a mapping error, whereby the map thought that it was not possible to turn say right, when it was plainly evident that you couid. To get around this problem, I stopped the route at the right turn and started a fresh one just around the corner.

Other than that, I can’t help..... other than to say, buy a Mac and embrace BaseCamp, your world will be changed forever.

PS I guess you might have hit an ‘avoid this’ problem. If the only way from A to B does involve a toll road (some passes levy a small charge) the PC’s brain might have gone into a flat spin. See what happens if you deselect any preferences.

Thanks Rich - I will start a process of elimination by changng the preference settings one at a time to see if changes things.

Richard, my routing preferences are set at avoiding Toll Road, Unpaved Roads, U-turns, Date and Time Closures. Road Selection is bang in the middle, Calculation set for Faster Time, Route Style is set to Auto Routing.

I have been trying to set a route from Brescia towards Lake Garda so no mountain passes or goat tracks involved;)

remove all your avoidances and just keep it on faster time, then you can tweak the route to suit

I have the same preferences set and have just tried a series of routes for that area with no problems. I would tentatively suggest uninstalling/re-installing Mapsource and trying again.

P.S. Brescia region is lovely - we went there for the Mille Miglia a couple of years ago. Marvellous!

Having "avoid seasonal closures" set is a recipe for disaster for a bike trip in the summer as so many of the interesting roads are shut in the winter. The system does not take into account when they are open so just refuses to route you over any road that is subject to winter closure. I would also be careful with the "avoid toll roads" option as so many fantastic roads do have a toll. Most of us would think those tolls are more than worth it. In any mountainous area you would be better to use "avoid motorways" and "unpaved roads" ( unless rough tracks are your thing ) and use the "fastest route" option. On newer devices the "curvy roads" option is also of doubtful benefit in a mountainous area. Often all this does is to take you off already twisty roads and onto very minor ones just to add a few more bends.

John

Back
Top Bottom