COMPLETE - Balades (wanders about) in Alsace / Vosges / Colmar / Mulhouse etc

I concur. It was okay for me, on a solo trip as I made a few new friends but for a base for a group over a few days I would prefer a town setting so you can wander and try a range of different eateries. Or, with my touring group, something like the Panorama mentioned above, which is a bit more up market with a quality restaurant, pool and spa.

Likewise, met another couple of a 1150GS and had a good night nattering with them, otherwise it would have been a bit dour............fully of Harley-esque types:blast in chaps and tassled waistcoats:rolleyes:

I've stayed in Offenburg, 15 miles SE from Strasburg, at the Mercure.
Excellent food, well it was in 2015 anyway.

Offenburg is also close to Triberg, 35 miles, where Germany's highest waterfall can be found.
Not a lot of people know that.
And probably even less have visited said highest waterfall.
It is very high indeed though.
Google tells me it is 163 metres.

I even found it interesting, and of course very different from normal rufty tufty biker activities.

Excellent contributions from Hustler, both of which I will add. I have seen the signs to the waterfall in Triberg, but to my eternal shame I have never visited them. Having already visited Germany’s largest island, to tick the highest waterfall off too, will be a thing in itself.

http://www.triberg.de/index.php?id=159

Balades (wanders about) in Alsace / Vosges / Colmar / Mulhouse etc

I've stayed in Offenburg, 15 miles SE from Strasburg, at the Mercure.
Excellent food, well it was in 2015 anyway.

Offenburg is also close to Triberg, 35 miles, where Germany's highest waterfall can be found.
Not a lot of people know that.
And probably even less have visited said highest waterfall.
It is very high indeed though.
Google tells me it is 163 metres.

I even found it interesting, and of course very different from normal rufty tufty biker activities.

Good shout

I've often stayed in Bad Peterstal just 15km from the Rhine and has numerous excellent hotels which are cheaper than their French counterparts
Vosges is accessible as is all of Black Forest areas

Hotel Col du Bussang is up for sale officially and announced yesterday

875000e

An excellent opportunity for bikermates to club together to buy a place and run it exactly how they think a bikermates’ place ought to be run. You know, turn up when you like, cancel (or don’t) bookings whenever you fancy, English spoken, double beds, single beds, shared rooms, single rooms, bunk house, open all hours, food and beer on demand, safe parking, garage, chains, bike washing facilities, free tool use (take and keep the ones you fancy) guided (and unguided) routes of every length and degree of difficulty, weather prediction with absolute certainty for years in advance.... it’ll be great.

An excellent opportunity for bikermates to club together to buy a place and run it exactly how they think a bikermates’ place ought to be run. You know, turn up when you like, cancel (or don’t) bookings whenever you fancy, English spoken, double beds, single beds, shared rooms, single rooms, bunk house, open all hours, food and beer on demand, safe parking, garage, chains, bike washing facilities, free tool use (take and keep the ones you fancy) guided (and unguided) routes of every length and degree of difficulty, weather prediction with absolute certainty for years in advance.... it’ll be great.

They still couldn't decide how to run it though

Back on track...

Two more...

FRALVOIT000600.gif

FRALVOIT000800.gif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev3urklazxlsv80/Balades en Alsace 4.GPX?dl=0

Yep, it's the only attraction...biker mates per se

Glad I only stayed one night as it's fecking miles from anywhere and sits below the mountain road, at the entrance to a tunnel - so a bit gloomy
thats the whole point of the place, quiet and away from the plebs :p the tunnel is the original route from Germany into France ,and has been closed for years, since the Wermacht decided that taking tanks apart to fit them through was more trouble than building a new road :aidan as to gloomy? I beg to disagree Sir, its an oasis of friendliness in a cold world (just a matter of opinion) rooms are definitely basic, and as to biker friendly? well in the 10-12 years that I have been stopping at the place the vast majority of the clients have been bikers YMMV. if you want a dozen bars to chose from then not the place to be, but for an overnight stay on the way elsewhere, or for a couple of days exploring the superb local roads then it works for me :beerjug:

If you want a town setting then Kaysersberg is my favourite. A number of hotels. Hotel Constantin has garage parking. Look out for the local dish Baeckeoffe - a big pot of meat & veg.

I had a look at this hotel and contacted them re a booking. Got the following reply:

"Thank you very much for your request. The hotel is currently closed. We are new owners and are entirely refurbishing the hotel. We should open around mid of April, but it is a bit early to be sure the works will be over and the hotel open again..

As I can not promise that I will have a room for you, I would prefer not sending any offer for your stay this time.

I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you for a next stay in Kaysersberg and remain with warm regards,

Veronique

Hôtel KLE

10 rue du Père Kohlmann

68240 KAYSERSBERG

Famille Siegel, hôteliers depuis 1919"

Thank you everyone.

It’s surprising how much is out there. I tripped over the site by chance. Whilst it’s labelled for car drivers, the routes will work just as well for anyone on a motorbike.

I had a look at this hotel and contacted them re a booking. Got the following reply:

"Thank you very much for your request. The hotel is currently closed. We are new owners and are entirely refurbishing the hotel. We should open around mid of April, but it is a bit early to be sure the works will be over and the hotel open again..

As I can not promise that I will have a room for you, I would prefer not sending any offer for your stay this time.

I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you for a next stay in Kaysersberg and remain with warm regards,

Veronique

Hôtel KLE

10 rue du Père Kohlmann

68240 KAYSERSBERG

Not surprised. Madame was about 90 so has either snuffed it or retired. Just hope they don't go over the top and make it a £120 a night hotel as it was a reasonable price for a town centre hotel

If you want a town setting then Kaysersberg is my favourite. A number of hotels. Hotel Constantin has garage parking. Look out for the local dish Baeckeoffe - a big pot of meat & veg.

Veronique

Hôtel KLE

10 rue du Père Kohlmann

68240 KAYSERSBERG

Not surprised. Madame was about 90 so has either snuffed it or retired. Just hope they don't go over the top and make it a £120 a night hotel as it was a reasonable price for a town centre hotel

Looks like it’s alive, up and running again...

https://en.hotelkle.com/65-rooms.html

I concur Kaysersberg is a great town with lots to see and do and in a great location I haven't been back since that trip but would like to some day, the Baeckeoffe was good wasn't it, reason enough for a return visit :clap

I concur Kaysersberg is a great town with lots to see and do and in a great location I haven't been back since that trip but would like to some day, the Baeckeoffe was good wasn't it, reason enough for a return visit :clap

I did a return in 2014 - funnily enough, stayed in the same hotel in Nauders as well after a loop into the Dolomites from John's place in Carinthia. Then stayed in the same place in Etreaupont. All were as I remembered them from the 2011 trip and will be used again at some point.

The fillet steak with foie gras in the hotel in Turckheim (found by Wapping, natch) was amazing! Hotel du Brand, I think.

Back
Top Bottom