Sat nav advice wanted

Greenson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks
I'm looking at entering the 21 century and getting myself a second hand satnav with European maps.
Whats the general opinion out there on the best value / easiest to use piece of kit.
I've done a bit of research and the Tom Tom Rider range with specific motorcycle trip features looks interesting .
Many thanks
Rich

Having owned a nav 5 and currently using a tomtom rider 400 I can say the are both good at their job. The Garmin will cost a good bit more but if your bike has the "magic wheel" it might be a factor.

I had the nav5 new but bought the tomtom used. Both are easy to use and down load routes onto. If price is a factor the tomtom represents good value.

I even have a very old nav3 which works just fine, the screen is small but the verbal instructions support the visual.

Get a S/H Garmin Zumo 660LM -

forget TomTom............

They are for girlies. :rob

Get a S/H Garmin Zumo 660LM -

forget TomTom............

They are for girlies. :rob

Nah other way around! I have Nav 6 and it lacks the basic functionality my 5 year old tomtom has. The wheel is nice as too the bike data on the Nav but those are hardware related. If I could swap the operating system for tomtom id do it in a second.
At least with tomtom the cameras only alert me when there is actually a mobile camera there and not in every damn road there’s ever been one. Even if garmin couldn’t get that right they at least could give me the option of turning mobile camera alerts off and leaving me just warnings for the static ones, like my tomtom can do, but no it’s all or nothing.
The HD traffic on tomtom is far superior too.

The Nav VI does have a nice screen though and the tomtom doesn’t integrate so that wins out for me (that and the hope that Garmin might actually release an update to address the rubbish camera functionality!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks
I'm looking at entering the 21 century and getting myself a second hand satnav with European maps.
Whats the general opinion out there on the best value / easiest to use piece of kit.
I've done a bit of research and the Tom Tom Rider range with specific motorcycle trip features looks interesting .
Many thanks
Rich

you dont say which bike you have, if it has the factory fitted mount as most recent ones do then NAV 5 or 6 and Zumo 660 fit right in to the mount, if your likely to change ur bike for a newer model then your ready to go with one of these.

At least with tomtom the cameras only alert me when there is actually a mobile camera there and not in every damn road there’s ever been one.

How does TomTom know where a moving (mobile) camera actually is at any given time?

How does TomTom know where a moving (mobile) camera actually is at any given time?

If you subscribe to the HD service, they somehow do. Suspect they monitor police and council press releases. Plus other drivers report them in real time. I’ve used Tomtom’s in my car for the last 6 years and so far it’s alerted me to every mobile camera I’ve ever past. It’s alarmed a couple of times in the past and there’s been nothing there, only for me to pass a police car further down the road busy in the process of issuing a ticket.

The traffic is far superior too. It’s linked to an inbuilt SIM card. That in turn is linked to the Vodaphone data base. As all phones are constantly sending their location back to the service provider Tomtom takes this information and plots in onto a road map. So even stationary traffic on back roads is identified and fed back to the users. It’s accurate to within a few feet too.

Way better than Garmin and compared to the Nav V/Vi way cheaper too.

If only they could integrate with the GS.....

Have you considered using a smartphone as a SatNav?

If you subscribe to the HD service, they somehow do. Suspect they monitor police and council press releases. Plus other drivers report them in real time. I’ve used Tomtom’s in my car for the last 6 years and so far it’s alerted me to every mobile camera I’ve ever past. It’s alarmed a couple of times in the past and there’s been nothing there, only for me to pass a police car further down the road busy in the process of issuing a ticket.

The traffic is far superior too. It’s linked to an inbuilt SIM card. That in turn is linked to the Vodaphone data base. As all phones are constantly sending their location back to the service provider Tomtom takes this information and plots in onto a road map. So even stationary traffic on back roads is identified and fed back to the users. It’s accurate to within a few feet too.

Way better than Garmin and compared to the Nav V/Vi way cheaper too.

If only they could integrate with the GS.....

Clever ...

Garmin zumo 340LM

Full Western Europe mapping.
Great starter sat nav includes bike mount, power lead & car mount..
Highly recommended....
:thumb2

Don't discount a smartphone with sat nav app - there are lots to choose from.
I have the TomTom phone app which is £15/yr and works exactly the same as my TT400 that hardly gets any use now, you do get a free trial (30 miles I think).
Having said that, you can't beat the clip on & go convenience of a dedicated bike sat nav.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I’ve had the nav 5 and 6 and back using the tomtom v5 much better made bit of kit (doesn’t feel like it’s going to break if you happen to drop it ) and I personally find the mapping much better so I’ve binned the nav mount on the Bike and fitted the tomtom and much happier, the toggle wheel was a nice addition but just could not put up with the Garmin. I’ve just bought the new tomtom 410 great routes addition and great bit of kit links to your phone for real live updates for Traffic etc much like google maps !.. save the money and go tomtom just my humble opinion

Back
Top Bottom