EN2 in Portugal

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Looking to ride the N2 in Portugal from Chaves to Faro after playing in the Picos in June.
What I cant find is a gpx of the whole route so I wonder if anyone can help?
Thanks in advance
Paul

If you go as far as Chaves ride the N103 east to Braganca. Great road with a cool castle at the end. And the cafe in Rebordelo has a great selection of cakes & buns for hungry Tossers :thumb

Thanks for the suggestion but we are heading back to the Algarve after 5 days in the Picos. I will put that on the to do list!!

This might be of interest to someone, especially those who like to collect unusual guidebooks etc
A new Portuguese guidebook is available detailing the N2 route from Chaves to Faro.
with 500 pages of photos, maps, gastronomy tips and hotels.
ISBN: 9789899823075
Although it appears non of the usual UK book stores (Stanfords etc) list it, It’s available to buy online from Portugal with delivery to the UK.
Shipping is slightly expensive at 13 euro, on top of the 20 euro price tag
http://www.ascari.pt/prod_detalhes.php?prodid=7204
A rough google translation of the description:
The path is mythical - the National Road 2: In an amazing parade of themes, this guide brings new lines: The identity of EN2, Personalities of EN2, Bridges of EN2, Nature in EN2, Travel of flavors, and many more ...

The departure is in Chaves and, after 739.260km (in its original extension), the arrival is in Faro.
But you can also start, finish or have the kms that you want.

The landscape changes and so this trip is divided into 20 stages. Five of these are cities. Everything else that presents us is or occurs in a range of 3km for each side of EN2. There are few exceptions.

By bicycle (with the necessary precautions), on two motorized wheels or in the family car, get ready: there is so much to know, so much to experience, so much to discover, that this guide will also be a companion for other returns to the longest road , to the mythical road, to our Road.

(PUBLISHED 02/2018, Author: several, Language: Portuguese, 504 pages, 15X21 cms, soft cover, 500 photos)

If it was me if you are doing it in one day, I would get on the ER393 at Almodovar and then straight across to the IC1 and straight down to Abufeira, the N2 down from Almodovar to Sao Bras is a bloody tight as they come road, I have never seen so many bends in my life, been up that road many times, and if its hot in June, IC1 has more trucks but its a better and straighter road.

Five of us on 3 bikes (GS, NC750 and Africa twin) completed the N2 in mid June and what a fantastic ride it is.
It is well marked most of the way but in a few spots especially Vila Real and Viseu it just completely disappears, adds to the fun.
We did it in two days stopping at Vila de Rei overnight. This is the geographical centre of Portugal and also half way down the N2, it made two days of approx 370Km.
If I was to do it again I would spread it over 3 days as there is so much to see, a very scenic route and some great sweeping roads when you don't get lost!!
Highly recommended if you want to see a lot of the real Portugal.

Back
Top Bottom