It’s almost a year now ...

Had mine done last week . The dealer called me to remind me

Anyone else think its strange that parts arrive at dealers just at the point dealers are quiet on service work? Maybe intentional by BMW as they can negotiate a cheaper rate with the dealers todo the work at a quieter time of year? Call me sceptical

Hello sceptical :D

Warranty rate is based on varying factors such as geographical location, size of dealership, retail hourly labour rate, CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) rating etc and normally the dealer would expect an hourly warranty rate of around 75% of their retail rate. Parts are usually charged back to the manufacturer anywhere between cost & cost plus 10% dependent on the item

I very much doubt this has nothing more to do the fact that BMW are very successful at building a product many thousands of people want and not so good at running a warranty campaign on a product that for most of those customers is nothing more than a leisure item :rolleyes:

Forks inspected when the recall was announced, found to be within tolerance, so happily continued to ride the bike.
I had the call just before Christmas, and had the collars fitted January 2nd. No dramas.

It does seem something of a happy coincidence that the parts become available at the same point the workshops are lacking in retail jobs, but equally appreciate it takes time to get a supplier up to volume production quantities.

I recognize there was public/internet pressure, but credit to BMW for going public and acknowledging the potential fault, and not waiting until they had sufficient supply in the network before announcing a recall. Don't really see it could have been handled any differently...

I booked mine into Chester Motorrad in October and the gaps measured and found to be in spec, only to be told there were no kits available as they were prioritising those that showed movement, fair enough. When I questioned the feeler gauge operative about the incidence of failures in the U.K. he couldn’t recall any. I left with a promise of a call when mine can be done, I still wait in fact I’m still waiting for 3 other calls from CM going back 18 months on different matters. I have his week had a phone call from Williams in Manchester where I bought the bike inviting me to attend as they have plenty. Do you think I am within my rights to take up their kind offer?

Haven’t done mine either... they offered but have been too busy at work... bike hasn’t moved since Sep which is when I got banned from driving. (odo at 925 miles after 18months) has a flat battery and is stuck in a basement garage... so a bit of a faff to move... needs a service at some stage too I suppose... maybe when I break 1000miles mark in a year or so... this was such a useful purchase...

Why worry about it? Unless you're riding off road or popping wheelies everywhere it's unlikely to be an issue, mine went in for a service in Sep where they checked the clearances and all was fine.. Got a call a week ago to bring it in as they had the collars in stock. All replaced no issues, i certainly wouldn't have been worrying if they hadn't called me to book it in.

I received a reminder that I'm due the annual service last week...... still no offer of fork collar fix

Happened to call in at my dealer a couple of weeks ago and asked the question.

Service girl checked her computer and said 'Not been done year? They should have been! When can you bring your bike in?

On SORN at the moment so going in first week in March

So, if you're still waiting contact you dealer

Mike

Out of curiosity, I called my local dealer and asked about the availability of the collars. My checks were completed (twice :nenau) in July and October 2017.

Nice chap on the service desk said "yes, no problem. We've had plenty in now for quite some time... can fit you in on Friday if it suits?"

Nothing like calling your customer base then and advising them :blast

Had mine back to be checked last august told ok at time .
Received a call December to say parts in but not bothered taking it in yet.
They will do a pre warranty expire check in may and they said they will do it then , iam happy for them to do it then or will wait till service in july

Had mine done at Lind Welwyn last week. Tried before Xmas but couldn’t find a time that fitted. Rang and done within 24 hrs. No problem. They had plenty. Back in again tomorrow as headlight swapped out. When fitting collars they noticed water in LED headlight. I hadn’t . Guess it is luck of the draw.

Got mine done today from Bahnstormer while it was in having a service and brake fluid change :thumb

Anyone else think its strange that parts arrive at dealers just at the point dealers are quiet on service work? Maybe intentional by BMW as they can negotiate a cheaper rate with the dealers todo the work at a quieter time of year? Call me sceptical

Hahaahha ... good theory .... but there's no negotiation from the mother ship .... BMW HO dictate warranty rates, the dealerships have no input

Back
Top Bottom