something is gonnie give

the civil one

Reaction score
Evening All ,,

Well obviously when i am here i need assistance from those that know ..
They say that knowing that you dont know is half the battle , and i dont know .......
Heres my quandry ..
Older mac book laptop

It is a Mac osx Version 10.5.8
Processor 2gzh , intel core 2 duo
memory 2 GB 667 Mhz
DDR2 sd ram.

The computer has been getting slower over a period of time , showing the "Surf" ball more and more
its bareable , as i use it at night to listen to Youtube music whilst doing the days accounts .
I dont do a lot on the Puter , but in the daytime i am increasing my online auction presence signifigantly
at Auction today , i had to rush to another computer as my Browser was out of date .
Whilst trying to bring my browser into some form of semblance , the computer tell me my system is
outa date ! .......

This ,my apple is under used , but handy ,, Do i need a new Laptop ?
Or can this be salvaged ?
AS always , all help appreciated

The good thing about the early MacBook's is you can upgrade the RAM (memory). 2GB is very small so upgrade to as much as you can (8GB would be the sweet spot). Think of RAM as the space on your desk when you're working; the bigger your desk the more you can have open and in use at my one time, and not end to swap things in and out of the draws of your desk. You'll be amazed at the boost in performance you'll get and for less than £100. And easy enough for anyone who can wheald a screw driver.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Oh, and one last thing. Don't be con'd into buying 'Mac' RAM, any RAM the right speed will be fine.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Evening All ,,

Well obviously when i am here i need assistance from those that know ..
They say that knowing that you dont know is half the battle , and i dont know .......
Heres my quandry ..
Older mac book laptop

It is a Mac osx Version 10.5.8
Processor 2gzh , intel core 2 duo
memory 2 GB 667 Mhz
DDR2 sd ram.

The computer has been getting slower over a period of time , showing the "Surf" ball more and more
its bareable , as i use it at night to listen to Youtube music whilst doing the days accounts .
I dont do a lot on the Puter , but in the daytime i am increasing my online auction presence signifigantly
at Auction today , i had to rush to another computer as my Browser was out of date .
Whilst trying to bring my browser into some form of semblance , the computer tell me my system is
outa date ! .......

This ,my apple is under used , but handy ,, Do i need a new Laptop ?
Or can this be salvaged ?
AS always , all help appreciated

I have a Mac Book Pro which I bought around five years ago because everyone said how good they were. It was a lot of money and I regretted buying it almost immediately because it’s so different to a PC and I thought slow.

Thankfully I have a friend who’s a computing expert who told me what parts I needed to change to wake it up.

The parts cost around £300, new RAM and solid state hard drive but it’s now totally transformed.

It’s therefore likely you can upgrade the parts I did to give it a new lease of life.

I rejuvenated my 2012 macbook pro with a 16Gb RAM update and a solid state drive as above. It’s the drive that really makes the difference and it couldn’t have been easier to clone the old onto the new.

Ccleaner keeps all my crap at bay and I do most of my personal computing on it; onlyvresorting to a windows laptop for work.

I rejuvenated my 2012 macbook pro with a 16Gb RAM update and a solid state drive as above. It’s the drive that really makes the difference and it couldn’t have been easier to clone the old onto the new.

Ccleaner keeps all my crap at bay and I do most of my personal computing on it; onlyvresorting to a windows laptop for work.

Indeed. I had an old laptop which I though only good for the bin. Some extra RAM (which was cheap as its an old model), an SSD (which wasn't all that expensive) and a complete wipe and re-install of the OS and.......feck me.....it a great little machine.
My favourite for taking on trips now.

In agreement

I also bought a 2011 MacBook Pro. it was factory spec 4GB ram and HHD. First thing I did was a SSD ( Samsung evo £89) so easy to do.

This is the mod that makes the really big difference. About 2 weeks ago I doubled the ram size. Now that performance improvement was slight. Heavy duty tasks would benefit but I don't do that sort of thing.

Both mods easy to do. I even partioned the SSD and run windows on that. The only reason being I have some gear that only likes windows.

About £180 for SSD and ram will transform your Mac.

Another good thing about OS X, is that you can do an install without overwriting your personal files etc - it's just the system files that get overwritten.

D.

Thanks you one and all

Well ,Its like a NEw Computer . Left it off at the Local Puter Guys shop , explained what was happenin , and ,,, whta was said here.
HE took all on board , and said gimmie a day or two , on the second day , i got the call ...........
He now has an El Capitain installed and tells me this is as far as this wee puter is goin .. Shure its grand

Back
Top Bottom