Sat nav / GPS app for iPhone - upload pre-planned / custom routes

spooon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

After a quick search, there seems to have been plenty of discussion on here around the use of sat nav apps for iPhone, in lieu of standalone sat nav units.

I know that the standalone units are better generally, but I can't justify spending £300+ when my iPhone can do nearly as good a job (I know there are limitations, but that's a separate topic).

That said, I would like to pre-plan/customise routes using computer software (such as Tyre) so that I can ride specific roads and export/upload them to the sat nav app on the iPhone. Many apps (like Google Maps) will simply re-calculate the route using the fastest possible route, loosing the plotted waypoints.

I have seen this thread but it's from many moons ago and seems very long winded. I wondered if anyone had any more up-to-date advice.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/260843-iPhone-Custom-Routing-A-solution!?highlight=sat+nav+app

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Or will I need to shell out for a standalone sat nav?

Thanks in advance.

To upload routes you need a sat nav or an android phone. :)

Definitely no iPhone option? :blast

If I were to acquire an android phone, do you know which sat nav apps would be able to take exported custom routes?

Determined not to buy a Garmin/TomTom unit!

I started using the Pocket Earth app on an iPod Touch then graduated through a 4S, 6 to my present iPhone 7

The app has taken me round most of Europe and New Zealand

It uses OSM mapping that is compressed so that vast areas of togographic data can be loaded for use offline

At the moment it requires an internet connection to create and modify routes using the Mapquest routing engine although straight line “off road” tracks can be created for bikers, pilots and sailors etc on the device

I regularly download routes sent by my riding friends that have been created in Mapsource/Basecamp. Both those software programs can convert tracks into routes and vv but once exported to other systems they become .gpx tracks - Pocket Earth is no exception - so you have to manually build the route by inspecting the imported track on screen - no real issue

I create routes on an iPad and they synch automatically to my phone. There are numerous ways to create waypoints and the “rubber banding” option is available just as in Basecamp etc

Having got rid of my Garmin I found that the PC, monitor, printer and scanner could also go to the tip - life is so much simpler!

btw RAM produce two different holders for the newer “waterproof” iPhones

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 345
Thanks Kritou.

How do you import the route files onto Pocket Earth?

I regularly download routes sent by my riding friends that have been created in Mapsource/Basecamp. Both those software programs can convert tracks into routes and vv but once exported to other systems they become .gpx tracks - Pocket Earth is no exception - so you have to manually build the route by inspecting the imported track on screen - no real issue

So when you download the routes (presumably routes with modified waypoints etc.) and import them, does Pocket Earth recalculate using the fastest route? What do you mean when you say 'manually build' the routes and 'inspecting the imported track on screen'?

Sorry, bit clueless here!

Thanks.

When I receive a Mapsource route in .gpx format by email I select the file and my device will in the usual iOS manner offer any suitable installed apps to open it in. Choose Pocket Earth and it appears on the map page but as a track that will be almost identical to the original Garmin/Mapsource route

it is important to remember that you will receive a track so no recalculation will be performed at this stage

With this track open on my phone I then select the same start and finish points on the iPad and a route will be created. Basically I then “rubber band“ it by tapping on the same road junctions etc as seen on the phone until my route is identical to the received one. It can take a while for a long route but typically a 250mile wander through Spain would take about ten minutes to recreate

If you have an iPad it might be possible to do this in split screen mode, but I have not tried it yet

Anyway, it’s worth a look at the website. https://pocketearth.com

Thanks very much for this.

Will have to download and play around, but questions to follow I’m sure

Watch this space!

Go to MyRoute app and your done! When you have the whole package you can make routes in the app or on the pc

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Kritou’s suggestion of using Pocket Earth is a good one, not least as it does work well on an iPhone / iPad.

What he might have forgotten to say is that it’s possible to create a route in Pocket Earth and then share it as a .gpx file, sending it to a third party via email. The next person can then open the file in Mapsource, BaseCamp or any other software capable of dealing with gps exchange data.

I have used Pocket Earth to create a route on my iPad when away from home and send it to myself. Then, when I’m back home, open it up on my Mac / BaseCamp and use it.

Kritou’s suggestion of using Pocket Earth is a good one, not least as it does work well on an iPhone / iPad.

What he might have forgotten to say is that it’s possible to create a route in Pocket Earth and then share it as a .gpx file, sending it to a third party via email. The next person can then open the file in Mapsource, BaseCamp or any other software capable of dealing with gps exchange data.

I have used Pocket Earth to create a route on my iPad when away from home and send it to myself. Then, when I’m back home, open it up on my Mac / BaseCamp and use it.

That is interesting. When you import the .gpx route into BC/Mapsource is it immediately routable or is there further action to take?

That is interesting. When you import the .gpx route into BC/Mapsource is it immediately routable or is there further action to take?

The .gpx file arrives attached to the email.

Click on it.

It should open straight up in your computer in BaseCamp and I guess Mapsource, too.

It displays in BaseCamp as a conventional track (not a route) with the correct start and end points, which you can then convert into a route, which is easily done in BaseCamp.

Send the route (or the track) from your computer to your Garmin device as normal.

No need to do anything much more. Just the usual check that nothing has gone awry. It really does work.

I’m using Tom Tom Go on my iPhone. Really good. I usually just have it on for speed cameras, traffic warnings and general orientation. It will accept .GPX files, but I haven’t used it like that. Well worth the subscription in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your tips and suggestions - much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom