Can valves collide with the piston on these engines?

GFJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'll post up the symptoms in another thread, but if the timing was to go out of sync on these engines, would the valves hit the piston if sufficiently far out?

I'm almost sure the F650 engine piston will interfere with valves, of course there's a chance it may not on the x engine.

Reads like the chain has jumped a tooth and bent the valves from your other post.

It does, that's why I'm wondering if a stuck chain tensioner would cause that. I had one go bad on my old F650 rallye bike although there was no damage done, the temporary fix was a stronger spring in it until it was replaced.

It will definately bend the valves....I've done it and the offending valves are stuck to the top of the monitor I'm using while typing this post. Look at this old thread....

btw, if you discover you need any engine parts (excluding valves) drop me a line. I have an almost complete engine available in bits.... and with all bearings removed.

Thanks Mike. Just read your thread; you were up against the clock a bit!

I'll update the other thread with photos but basically timing is out and looks like bent valves.

When you did it, did you manage to do it with the engine still in the frame? Also, as well as the two valves, what other parts did you end up replacing to do the job?

Thanks. Gareth

Thanks Mike. Just read your thread; you were up against the clock a bit!

I'll update the other thread with photos but basically timing is out and looks like bent valves.

When you did it, did you manage to do it with the engine still in the frame? Also, as well as the two valves, what other parts did you end up replacing to do the job?

Thanks. Gareth

Yes, I did manage to do it with the engine in the frame...though it was quite tricky, especially as we had to take the cylinder itself off as well as the head. However, I think that was not directly connected to the bent vaves but I can't be certain now. Yes, the only thing I replaced were the 2 bent valves.

Back
Top Bottom