xChallenge not starting

GFJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Posting this as a thread as I have a problem in that my xchallenge will not start. I'll post what I do until I can i/d the problem.

I've had this bike for about a year and done approx 3k miles on it. It now has just short of 11k on it.

Occasionally on start up it would clatter a bit, but would soon stop. It sounded like worn hydraulic tappets on the old Vauxhall engines. It didn't always happen. As bike ran very smoothly i didn't worry about it.

It was a clean burning engine, smooth and good power delivery. Returned 72-78 mpg.

I took it on a trail trip to Portugal in september, parked it up when back and left it, attempting to start it earlier this week.

A bit of a sharp clack when it first turned over, but refused to start.

Whilst thinking it was a little early for the fuel to have gone off, it's an easy remedy so drained the fuel and put fresh in. Still no luck, but smelling of petrol.

Airbox off, plugs out. Soaking, and a pool of liquid resting on the piston. Splashed out when turning over on battery. Left plugs out overnight to allow to vent and dry.

Coolant checked; still full in rad. No obvious contaminants in oil.

New plugs in, battery charged, no avail. Plugs wet. Dry them off, checked for spark. Both have strong spark that would jump approx 1cm+ to the frame.

Check injector - seems to be injecting fine when turning over. Hmm.

Take injector plug off to help vent it withou addition of further fuel, and intermittent blue flame would occasionally come back through the inlet manifold, extending 8" or so above it. Hmm.

Valve cover off. All cam lobes intact. Decompressor lever may have been a little sticky, but seemed to spring back okay and consistently.

All 4 valve shims move up and down when under compression from the lobes. All would spin freely when not under load.

Valve clearances. Visually and from the ones i could see, this was millimetres, as opposed to point of millimetres. However, they seemed to match the others so i ASSUMED, that maybe had misread the manual, they were normal as there was no apparent signs of wear on either shims or cams.

Checked valve timing. Both holes on cam sprockets point upwards and horizontal marks align. I did not check this with reference to the piston at this time.

Bike back together. Still no starting

Current hypothesis is that for some reason the valves are not fully retracting. Possible cause timing chain slip due to cam chain tensioner.

Plan. Check valve gaps. Check tdc cam sprocket markings in relation to piston position.

I have never had a significant mechanical issue on these engines and never had one fail to start, so am a little bemused. Hmmm.. .

Plan. Check valve gaps. Check tdc cam sprocket markings in relation to piston position.

Perhaps also check the compression while your at it Gareth and a proper check of valve clearances whilst observing the valves are opening and closing correctly ie. evenly/matched and fully.

Cheers for the advice Tim. Will dig deeper and more accurately tomorrow evening.

From what you've described it might also be worth whipping the cam chain tensioner out to see if it's stuck.

Timpo or Garry H and possibly Mickeyboy will know more about these motors.

Valve clearances. Visually and from the ones i could see, this was millimetres, as opposed to point of millimetres. However, they seemed to match the others so i ASSUMED, that maybe had misread the manual, they were normal as there was no apparent signs of wear on either shims or cams.

Checked valve timing. Both holes on cam sprockets point upwards and horizontal marks align. I did not check this with reference to the piston at this time.

Bike back together. Still no starting

Current hypothesis is that for some reason the valves are not fully retracting. Possible cause timing chain slip due to cam chain tensioner.

I have never had a significant mechanical issue on these engines and never had one fail to start, so am a little bemused. Hmmm.. .

Valve clearances on these bikes are bugger all, but you say you have millimeters of clearance?

Sounds like bent valves :comfort

Well, went to delve a little more.

First pic shows the cam alignment . . . . Looking good, until you put the piston to tdc and it looks like the second picture

Attachments

• 20180125_172242.jpg
    20180125_172242.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 20180125_173248.jpg
    20180125_173248.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 226
Checking valve gaps, always use a set of feeler gauges for an accurate measurement.

The inlet valve measured at one whole set of gauges :)D) as in the 1st pic, the exhaust at a little under a set :)blast)

So. Looks like timing has jumped for an unconfirmed reason (suspect tensioner), causing at least 2 valves to bend.

Est cost of 4 valves, springs, seals, collets, head gasket and tensioner is circa £400, or :eek:

Attachments

• 20180125_172943.jpg
    20180125_172943.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20180125_172833.jpg
    20180125_172833.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 20180125_172757.jpg
    20180125_172757.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 185
Checking valve gaps, always use a set of feeler gauges for an accurate measurement.

The inlet valve measured at one whole set of gauges :)D) as in the 1st pic, the exhaust at a little under a set :)blast)

So. Looks like timing has jumped for an unconfirmed reason (suspect tensioner), causing at least 2 valves to bend.

Est cost of 4 valves, springs, seals, collets, head gasket and tensioner is circa £400, or :eek:

Is that damage to the cam lobe as well Gareth ?

Oppss! IIRC the marks on the cam sprocket are supposed to line up on the horizontal with the top of a cylinder head. Looking at the photos, thats quite a jump on the timing chain! :eek:

Oppss! IIRC the marks on the cam sprocket are supposed to line up on the horizontal with the top of a cylinder head. Looking at the photos, thats quite a jump on the timing chain! :eek:

And quite a mess, once the head comes off I would imagine.. :tears :tears :tears

Feck springs to mind :(

Is that damage to the cam lobe as well Gareth ?

I did wonder that due to the cutaway type edge(s). I haven't enough experience on the internals of this bike to know for certain (this being the only one i have had any form of engine failure on), but at this stage thought not.

Reason i don't think it is damage is that looking at the cam with the decompression lever on it, it has a similar cut away on both sides near its'pivot pin. Looking at the other cam, it has similar cuts on both sides as well (albeit with no decomp lever)

I could be wrong though

Attachments

• 20180126_180634.jpg
    20180126_180634.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180126_180816.jpg
    20180126_180816.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180126_180624.jpg
    20180126_180624.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20180126_180935.jpg
    20180126_180935.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 188
I did wonder that due to the cutaway type edge(s). I haven't enough experience on the internals of this bike to know for certain (this being the only one i have had any form of engine failure on), but at this stage thought not.

Reason i don't think it is damage is that looking at the cam with the decompression lever on it, it has a similar cut away on both sides near its'pivot pin. Looking at the other cam, it has similar cuts on both sides as well (albeit with no decomp lever)

I could be wrong though

Having seen the other cams I would agree that it looks like they are recesses in the castings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom