Query re Grossglockner Toll

Hatcho

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Have just finished planning a 2 week trip to Europe in August...woohoo! :)

One of our overnights is at the Edelweisshutte at the Bikers View Point at the top of the Grossglockner Pass. My question is this - if we pay the toll before ascending the pass, then stay overnight, do we have to pay a second toll for the following day when we are heading North towards Zell am See? From what I can see online the toll applies for only one calendar day. Bit of a noob question I know, but who better to ask than those who have done all this before...

Cheers in advance,
Seán.

The Edelweisshutte is at the top of the Gross Glockner and from memory there are only pay points at either end so as long as you don't exit you wouldn't have to pay again (the exit is just a ride straight through)

From the front page, opening paragraph of the pass website:

Find out about prices and opening hours of the Grossglockner High Alpine Road prior to your arrival and select the ticket that best suits the trip of your choice: day ticket with extension option for a second day.....

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/pricesandopeninghours

I am not sure they charge you to leave.

The Edelweisshutte is at the top of the Gross Glockner and from memory there are only pay points at either end so as long as you don't exit you wouldn't have to pay again (the exit is just a ride straight through)

Thanks - that's the info I was looking for...whether we would have to pay twice as we were actually riding the pass over two different days having stayed overnight at the top. Paying 26 euro once is bad enough - but twice would make one wince!

Thanks - that's the info I was looking for...whether we would have to pay twice as we were actually riding the pass over two different days having stayed overnight at the top. Paying 26 euro once is bad enough - but twice would make one wince!

Definitely not. You pay to get onto the pass, if you stay there a week, you don't pay again. You only have to pay again if you leave (go past the ticket booths at either end). Quite jealous, I've wanted to stay there for a while now, I bet if you get a clear night the stars would be fantastically visible from that high up and no light pollution.

Enjoy!

Hi folks,

Have just finished planning a 2 week trip to Europe in August...woohoo! :)

One of our overnights is at the Edelweisshutte at the Bikers View Point at the top of the Grossglockner Pass. My question is this - if we pay the toll before ascending the pass, then stay overnight, do we have to pay a second toll for the following day when we are heading North towards Zell am See? From what I can see online the toll applies for only one calendar day. Bit of a noob question I know, but who better to ask than those who have done all this before...

Cheers in advance,
Seán.

We did the same 4 years ago ,buy the ticket for the day you go up and it will be valid the next day after your stay, if you are haven't already book asap as the limited places fill up very quickly.

Make sure you set your alarm to see the sunrise and have your evening meal outside (weather permitting ) to watch the sun going down .

P.S . there is also a decent sized garage for 10 plus bikes under the bunkhouse.

If you are going to stop in Zell try and make one of the nights the wednesday for the music festival in the village centre

Does it really matter, in the eternal plan of things?

Will it stop you from going?

Go where the breeze might take you, where the whim leads you ... enjoy :thumb

Thanks for the replies folks - much appreciated! I've already booked us into the Edelweisshutte - to be honest, I didn't think there'd be availability, but when I contacted them turns out we were in luck. Hopefully we'll get decent weather up there - I'd say the sunrise is something not to be missed.

We'll won't make it into Zell unfortunately as we'll be heading towards Vipiteno via the Krimml waterfalls - then it's over the Timmeljosch the next day.. :bounce1

Thanks for the replies folks - much appreciated! I've already booked us into the Edelweisshutte - to be honest, I didn't think there'd be availability, but when I contacted them turns out we were in luck. Hopefully we'll get decent weather up there - I'd say the sunrise is something not to be missed.

We'll won't make it into Zell unfortunately as we'll be heading towards Vipiteno via the Krimml waterfalls - then it's over the Timmeljosch the next day.. :bounce1

If you are doing the Timmelsjoch heading north there is a nice overnight stop at Oetz (Hotel Drei Moehren)

This is correct. The second-day extension is a kind of twofer discount so you can stay outside (as most people do) and have two days’ visits for the price of... well, the two-day extension. Just make sure you have as full a tank as possible* before going in, then don’t pass through the toll gates next day until you are on your way

*Coming from the south, there’s a petrol station on the road into Heiligenblut, about five miles before the tollbooth

If you are doing the Timmelsjoch heading north there is a nice overnight stop at Oetz (Hotel Drei Moehren)

We're overnighting in Vipiteno, that way get to enjoy Timmeljosch first thing in the morning. Then it's onto Fussen for our last night before flying home from Memmingen. Thanks for the tip though - will be added to the 'places to stay' list for the next trip... :thumb2

I've stayed in Solden then went over the Timmelsjoch, heading south (in mist and rain) then worked my way over to the north of the Grossglockner and went over it heading south then stayed in Gmund - a great day's riding.

I've stayed in Solden then went over the Timmelsjoch, heading south (in mist and rain) then worked my way over to the north of the Grossglockner and went over it heading south then stayed in Gmund - a great day's riding.

Sounds like a great day on the bike! The hardest part about our trip is having to wait 7 more months before it happens!!

Back
Top Bottom