stelvio meets puddle, a problem

goat78

Reaction score
So, out for a ride today on the stelvio and having a good time. Some surface water about and down a country lane I went through some slightly deeper puddles, there was a slight hidden drop in one and as I went through there was a good splash of water. This immediately caused some issues. Digital display went nuts with bits missing and letters/ numbers all over the place. More worryingly the engine started to have issues, running very rough and surging, missfiring. I pulled over as soon as and stopped. Had a good look around everything I could, air filter dry for example, noticed that the rubber boots on the injectors have slight splits in. Gave it a good half hour and started up again, seemed ok so rode on a bit. A few miles later display went off completely and engine running off again so pulled over again and called recovery.
When the recovery guy came (about an hour later) we fired it up and it was better (display was ok) but engine still off when revved- would rev ok, as you come off the throttle it would surge back up the revs slightly.
So questions:
anyone know the part number for the injector rubber boots or have a good suggestion to replace and waterproof?
What should I be checking over tomorrow and is it likely to be better given a chance to dry off?
I was thinking of going through the wiring at the front of the bike (in the vicinity of the display) and giving connections a wee blast of WD, anything else I can do, dielectric grease for example?
cheers folks

What year is the Bike ?
Whilst sitting on the bike .. In the Front cowl , on the LHS , there is a Big Block connector ,{ on 11 onward it
has a rubber boot covering it }, this connects the ECU to the rest of the bike , i would guess you have water ingress somewhere in there , i would suggest a water repellant , a quality brand ..
This is would hazzard a guess is where your gremlins lie .
Although an irritant the Broken rubber boot covering the injectors have never caused me any issue.

Cheers civil. It's an 08. I'll have a look today. Have found the part number for the boot so will order one up if needed.

Cheers civil. It's an 08. I'll have a look today. Have found the part number for the boot so will order one up if needed.

These werent fitted to the 08 Bike , so yes you will need it .. 10 onward it became a Standard fitment .
If you can get the Damp repelant to work ,, Dont go diggin in there too much , its an awful lotta strippin to get in there comfortably !.........

And DEFFO dont go pulling the Wires outa the ECU if you can manage it ... Gentle Gentle does it ,,,, IF you must.

Back
Top Bottom