Problems coming in three’s

sagalout

Reaction score
So after having not a single issue with the bike in almost 6 years, I’m now on the third problem in two weeks!

Bike struggles to start from cold. It turns over fine, but won’t fire properly. When it does it’s as if it’s on one cylinder for a few seconds, then it runs ok. Also experienced occasional hesitation on the road, although this was only a couple of times on a 20 mile ride.

I’ve tried resetting the TPS. Also disconnected and cleaned up all the Power Commander connections (one had a lot of water ingress which I though was the culprit but it hasn’t made any difference)

I’m thinking it’s either a new TPS required or coils. I can’t find anywhere that sells a TPS though - is this only available from the dealer? I read something about them having to be coded to the ECU?

Any other suggestions as to what could be wrong? As my main mode of transport it’s becoming a bit of a pain!

My mate had a similar issue to this, turned out to be the fuel injector. Could be a host of other things, plug, coil, TPS or other sensor. You can get some of those things tested by a dealer/decent mechanic to rule some of them out.

Cheers for the replies :)

Checked and changed all the plugs and air filter.

Took the bike for a test ride but was still the same. Needed a bit of throttle to start. Then ran ok but a bit rough when I took it round the block. Stopped and did the TPS reset then started it again and it seemed better, but not sure if that's just because it was warm.

Guess I'll start with the coils, as I don't think you can buy a TPS online (Motorworks don't sell them). They looked fine when I pulled them earlier, but I guess you can't visually. Is it better to disconnect them at the electrical connector I presume? What am I actually looking for when I disconnect them though, as it's an intermittent problem.

The plugs look a bit sooty though?

26040574338_3e286a28fb_c.jpg

I wouldn't have thought all 4 coils would start to fail at the same time tbh, so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. :nenau Overfuelling....duff O2 sensor(s)....air filter blocked?? Or the TPS?! Perhaps get it on a GS911 as a start.

Pete

It has a power commander installed (with a custom map from a dyno session). Maybe I’ll just try removing that first to see if it sorts the starting issue and go from there.

Sag, I’ve got 6 assorted coils here in Wetherby , bought as future replacement.
You’re welcome to try swapping a few over to see if that’s a fix

looking at those plugs, i would hazard a guess it is defo a fuel / Air ratio problem, the bike is running way to rich. you are running the correct map to suit exhaust and air filter i take it ? as you say .remove the map, and re install. test ride .

Sounds like my bike,

start fine, then after filtering around in traffic at about 3k it starts to hesitate and cough / misfire ..

God help me if i go closed throttle, because it will die. 1-3k it coughs and misfires, 3K+ it runs fine.

The strange thing is if it stalls and i restart, it ticks over perfectly.

I need to get some time to either get someone to look at it, or to be able to strip components off to check / clean

Just to update this, I left the bike for a few days then came back to it and the problem has gone. It’s starting instantly and smoothly and no hesitation when running. Done about 100 miles on it this week trouble free.

I suspect now that it was my initial diagnosis of corrosion and water ingress in the Power Commander connectors. Whilst I cleaned them up and it seemed just as bad afterwards, I’m wondering if it took a bit longer for the contact cleaner to thoroughly dry out.

I’m going to get it Hilltopped so I can get the Power Commander off the bike - The connectors on them just aren’t weather proof enough for an exposed engine.

Just to update this, I left the bike for a few days then came back to it and the problem has gone. It’s starting instantly and smoothly and no hesitation when running. Done about 100 miles on it this week trouble free.

I suspect now that it was my initial diagnosis of corrosion and water ingress in the Power Commander connectors. Whilst I cleaned them up and it seemed just as bad afterwards, I’m wondering if it took a bit longer for the contact cleaner to thoroughly dry out.

I’m going to get it Hilltopped so I can get the Power Commander off the bike - The connectors on them just aren’t weather proof enough for an exposed engine.

And that is why i removed my power commander. No trouble since.

My PC connections were wrapped in self amalgamating tape from the outset. It’s working fine after at least 30K miles used all year around.

But it’s still a bodge. IMO a Hilltop remap is the way to go.

And that is why i removed my power commander. No trouble since.

My PC111 will be off and my old girl hilltopped before Alaska this year. My connections are solid but she runs a bit rough sometimes and I just have that nagging feeling it's somewhere in the PC.

The only issue with mine is lumpy tickover but I suspect that’s an idle stepper motor not moving as it should.
Performance is significantly better than OEM.

The only issue with mine is lumpy tickover but I suspect that’s an idle stepper motor not moving as it should.
Performance is significantly better than OEM.

Strangely, the PC111 didn't offer up much improvement on my bike and this was shown on the before and after power and torque graphs
produced on the Dyno at Dynojet's place at Garstang so, when i realised i was having water ingress into the PC plugs and sockets (which
were taped up as added protection) which caused me a bit of grief in Alaska after washing the Dalton crap off and on subsequent de-crapping
washes i decided to remove it when back home which i did and not had an ounce of bother since and no noticeable performance decrease either.
Could be just my bike i suppose :nenau

Mine is the PC V.
It made a huge difference in performance so much I nearly crapped myself when bounced off the rev limiter going along an entry slip road. I had to recalibrate my head.
I don’t like it running open loop but Hilltop is outside budget for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom