Portsmouth Hotel

Timbo1965

Reaction score
Six of us Sailing from Portsmouth to Bilbao in October. I'd like to stay over the night before, so looking for recommendations on a good hotel with Secure parking, not just a public car park out the front. Can be up to an hour from the port and I'd prefer 3 or 4 star

We have stayed in the very faded splendour of the Keppels Head opposite the historic dockyard
Has its own car park but not secure AFAICR
Handy for central Pompey

I've stayed in loads of hotels in Portsmouth over the years as family live there. The only one I know with a locked car park in Portsmouth is the Ibis next to the university. Okay location as there are loads of eateries nearby in Guildhall Walk. Tiny rooms.

Even though the car park is locked I don't think it is that secure. Anyone can enter on foot via reception, defeat bike security and then wait for another vehicle to leave and push the bike through the gate into a waiting van.

Keppels Head car park is not secure.

There's a Holiday Inn Express in Gunwharf Quays where you park underneath but this is shared with shoppers.

Travelodge opposite the port has a small bit of covered parking with security hoops and a dedicated bike bay near the reception also with hoops. It's hardly secure but you need an access code to leave once the pub is shut.

I'd just pick a country pub with rooms somewhere near Petersfield. Or book an overnight boat so you don't have to stay there! This is what I usually do now my son has grown up - meet him for a pint & dinner then fuck off on a ferry at bedtime.

Stayed in the Premier Inn a couple of times (there are two, across the road from each other) the one we used let bikes park outside of reception which was manned 24 hours per day. No issues on either occasion.

The car park under the Holiday Inn Gunwarf Quay has a bay of about 6 motorcycle wheel chocks with chain n lock.
It costs a quid there are also lockers for helmets,again costs a quid.

Surrounding areas in all directions offer loads of smaller hotels / B&B's

Fareham / Havant / Chichester all offer good hotels etc,

They may not offer secure parking, but as it's only one night, and your off the beaten track so to speak ...

Stayed in the Premier Inn a couple of times (there are two, across the road from each other) the one we used let bikes park outside of reception which was manned 24 hours per day. No issues on either occasion.

+1 for above, Premier Inn Portsmouth North Harbour , Beefeater across the road, only about 10mins from the terminal.

Like the others I’d avoid a hotel in Pompey if possible, within half an hour there are masses to choose from.

Six of us Sailing from Portsmouth to Bilbao in October. I'd like to stay over the night before, so looking for recommendations on a good hotel with Secure parking, not just a public car park out the front. Can be up to an hour from the port and I'd prefer 3 or 4 star

I notice you will be coming from Cardiff; The Portsmouth to Bilboa is an evening crossing , with 2 nights on the boat if I remember correctly. Why not ride down on the day , and just jump on the boat; it should be doable from where you are.

I notice you will be coming from Cardiff; The Portsmouth to Bilboa is an evening crossing , with 2 nights on the boat if I remember correctly. Why not ride down on the day , and just jump on the boat; it should be doable from where you are.

It was one night on the ferry last year, departed about lunchtime iirc

there are 3 departure times: 0845, 1145 & 2230, depending on the day of departure - I'd ride down on the day for 1145 or 2230 but not the 0845

Mill stream Hotel in Bosham.... 25 mins to the ferry in the morning... lovely hotel and I’d happily leave my bike with the keys in the ignition in Bosham.

We're sailing at 11:45 on a 24hr ferry. Just fancied going down Tuesday to avoid an early start on Wednesday. Normally go on the Plymouth to Santander that sails a little later in the day. I'm fancying staying just outside Portsmouth.

We're sailing at 11:45 on a 24hr ferry. Just fancied going down Tuesday to avoid an early start on Wednesday. Normally go on the Plymouth to Santander that sails a little later in the day. I'm fancying staying just outside Portsmouth.

I live just outside portsmouth - if you want to talk through your options pm me your Mobile and we can chat.

Back
Top Bottom