Multistrada 1260

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Anyone lined up a test ride yet ? Seem to be arriving in the dealers now.

duacti-multistrada-1260s01.JPG

I'm going to try one as a replacement for the 899, but a little bit concerned that I won't like the windblast (thats an abiding memory from test riding the excellent MTS Enduro and seems to be typical to most adventure styled bikes). Looks like there is a touring screen or even the pikes peak shorter screen which may be worth trying.

Cruise, quickshifter & blipper, lean sensitive braking and semi-active suspension with a load of other tech looks good. Engine update from the Diavel promises more low end torque and chassis changes seem to target this as a 'sport tourer' with increased rake/trail and swingarm length.

I quite like the narrowness of the panniers, and the quality looks really spot on on this evolution. The 1260S with touring pack and a two year extension on warranty to 4 years takes it to just under £19k which is a huge amount, but this might be the perfect answer for me wanting something more touring orientated with a bit of character.

RBW.

It'll be no slouch - that's for sure.

Not sure I would want to live with the depreciation though (assuming similar to Ducs of recent years)

Al

Yes, I did try the 950, and had wallet open ready to buy. My thinking was that I could keep the 899 and have the 950.

Sadly the 950 has a woefully soft front end that dips the moment that you go near the front brake lever, and decided that purely down to running costs I'd rather have one nice bike than two (thank the 15K valve service intervals with the engine as a stressed member for that).

Its sad to let the 899 go but Im struggling a little on long tours now so it needs to be something that feels better in every way but is a bit more comfortable. The 899 has been a perfect bike for me with a huge character so the next bike has a lot to live up to. The 1260S has more power, more bottom end, better brakes, better electronics with autoblipper and the ability to spec luggage. Also cruise which I really fancy for slogs up and down to Scotland.

RBW.

Did you try the 950, it gets good reviews and a more manageable cost.

Had a look at one a few days ago, the Pikes Peak looks especially nice, and the 1260S is well specced, and I'm sure they will be great to ride - wish I'd never sold my ST4S.
Cost to buy (and maintain?) is off-putting to me though and makes the KTM 1290S look a comparative bargain.

I hankered after an ST3 back in 2003, and eventually purchased a Yamaha Fazer 1000, which whilst was a brilliant bike and a stonking engine in hindsight was a mistake (although I still managed 30K on it).

There is just something about Ducati's that get under your skin. The 899 was my long overdue introduction to ducati back in 2014, and whilst I enjoy looking at other bikes I keep coming back to a Duc.

RBW.

Had a look at one a few days ago, the Pikes Peak looks especially nice, and the 1260S is well specced, and I'm sure they will be great to ride - wish I'd never sold my ST4S.
Cost to buy (and maintain?) is off-putting to me though and makes the KTM 1290S look a comparative bargain.

I hankered after an ST3 back in 2003, and eventually purchased a Yamaha Fazer 1000, which whilst was a brilliant bike and a stonking engine in hindsight was a mistake (although I still managed 30K on it).

There is just something about Ducati's that get under your skin. The 899 was my long overdue introduction to ducati back in 2014, and whilst I enjoy looking at other bikes I keep coming back to a Duc.

RBW.
I know what you mean. I had an ST2, 748, and then the ST4S - I always felt that riding a Ducati was something very special, especially with the 748 & ST4S. You've got me thinking now!

Did you try the 950, it gets good reviews and a more manageable cost.

Ditto.

I read a report in Ride recently where a Multi 1200 owner who was a guest tester was so impressed with the 950 that he was going to sell his 1200 and get one .

I had a 950 on loan whilst the Hyper was in for service and at the time i thought why spend the extra cash on the 1200 as the 950 was a nice bike to ride albeit lacking the single sided wswing arm and a few other standard on the 1200 bits. but all the bike you could ever really need and at the time all for £10K before haggling

I did think it was a bit wallowy in the corners until i discovered that the preload front and rear ( manual adjustment) were set to lowest possible settings. A few twirls and all was well and i enjoyed my day on it

Right up to when i got back on my Hyper which has the same engine but ........

I had a 950 on loan whilst the Hyper was in for service and at the time i thought why spend the extra cash on the 1200 as the 950 was a nice bike to ride albeit lacking the single sided wswing arm and a few other standard on the 1200 bits. but all the bike you could ever really need and at the time all for £10K before haggling

I did think it was a bit wallowy in the corners until i discovered that the preload front and rear ( manual adjustment) were set to lowest possible settings. A few twirls and all was well and i enjoyed my day on it

Right up to when i got back on my Hyper which has the same engine but ........

You where saying but......

Back
Top Bottom