Ruta 7

karlp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone done Ruta 7 south of Puerto Monte Chile to ‘O Higgins recently

Need to know what the terrain is like.

I know it is unpaved but is it gravel , mud or deep mud

Thanks

I've not done it myself but a couple I know are currently travelling around South America on there Honda XRV750 and sidecar.
They reported that the Carratera Austral was closed recently due to landslides. They took the ferry through the fjords instead.

The road is generally gravel from the research I've done and from what fellow travellers have told me.

Have a look at www.sidecaramerica.com for Mark and Debbie's current trip.
Also, if it's of interest www.sidecartravels.co.uk is a log of a trip that I did from June 2016. BMW F800GS with a Ural sidecar attached. New York to Fairbanks Alaska and the to Ushuaia in Argentina. 28,000 miles, 8 months.

did in a 4x4 many years ago when I lived there. basically gravel and unpaved. Can be pretty hairy in places especially as you can go a day without seeing anyone. Puyuhaupi is worth a stop especially if you visit the resort and spa. In the middle of no-where - literally. You need to boo the ferry to get over but then you have a wonderful hotel with hot spring spa to visit. No roads to get you there either.

Thanks

I have only been south down to Temuco and across to Argentina.

I was trying to get a feel for the type of bike needed as it does look a bit isolated etc.

Karl

The Carretera Austral (Ruta 7) is a pretty easy run all the way down to Villa o´Higgins, I´ve done it a few times now, when I need a little warm up before heading to the north. Nothing to be worried about lots of sealed road going down with maybe more put down over the last year. The gravel is easy going with only a deep section of it near La Junta. I spoke to Mark and Debbie last week, a lovely couple who said they´ll be back to discover more of South America. I also chatted with a Swiss guy yesterday who came up from the south using the ferry to bypass the mud slide at Santa Lucia, he said the ferry was a right PITA. Notice on when the road will be clear varies from day to day, but best bet it will be open April. Apart from the ferry it´s a lovely run down south. No idea when you are thinking of, but don´t forget the seasons are opposite to the UK. If you want to leave your bike at home and you´re feeling rich there´s Moto Aventura in Santiago/Osorno that can rent you a BMW.

Only mud is maybe when theres a bit of road construction, but they´re generally good at putting a gravel side road down. They also close the road for big sections during certain hours but those days are over.

I largely agree with John, but with a few differences.
I’ve just come up from there in Oct/Nov ‘18 (Colombia now).
There is a lot of tar but there are still lots of areas of ripio, and they can be in the tougher stretches as they are the hardest to reach. Some of the mountain passes are first and second gear ripio switchbacks and the trucks cut the gravel up as they grind around but it’s brilliant riding. And I’m not some off-road hero; I’m on a heavy bike, two up but it’s doable and really increases your self confidence once you’ve done it. The Chilean ripio was described to me as largely made up of volcanic ash. This gets compacted and graded and is pretty easy to ride on, even in the wet. It isn’t clay or mud and holds together. The Ruta 40 ripio on the Argentine side is pebbly and can rut up so it is harder to ride on.

The landslide at Santa Lucia still covers the town but they’ve dozed tracks through it so that you can get to all the roads. I would definitely recommend going up to Fatuleufu and over to Esquel, either going or coming back as these passes are marvellous. Bariloche back to Lake Puno is another beauty.

Heading south, the ferry from Tortel/Yungay to Puerta Natalie’s is very good. You ride the whole Carretera Austral and then sail down through the fjords when it runs out. Two nights, good recliners, three free basic meals each day and great scenery. The bikes are secured well.
I don’t know about the ferry from Natales up to Puerta Montt but what kind of lunatic would take a ferry past one of the world’s classically beautiful, unspoilt regions? I met one bloke who had taken it but he was afraid of pretty much everything. He had a truck air horn to defend against other drivers, pepper spray for dogs, stun gun for people etc, etc.
Down to Ushuaia if you want and then come back via Ruta 40 and hop back and forth over the border, which is free and friendly. Actually, everything is free and friendly from the Chilean lakes down and up the other side.

Have a great ride, take waterproofs, watch out for the wind on Ruta 40.

Back
Top Bottom