Front and rear cameras

Appear to be as good as if not better than my GoPro, anyone use one or seen in the flesh?

I have the Nortek Bike Bro. The vid quality is fit for purpose I would say, but it isn't great and is highly compressed, meaning that the image size on playback is quite small. The GPS function comes and goes, and the can unit itself is very cheap. The software for playback is quite basic as well. Whilst Nortek say otherwise, it appears to be a certain generic camera that you can find (cheaper) on Alibaba, with somewhat cheaper versions on ebay. That all said, support from Nortek was absolutely first class and couldn't be better.

The pluses are that the power sensor for turning on and off the cams works a treat, the cams are very discreet, and as said the vid is good enough as a fit and forget device.

But, all irrelevant now as its been discontinued. Nortek have said that they were releasing a newer camera with much improved video quality, but it doesn't appear to have happened.

In terms of dual cam, as above, an alternative is the INNOV K1, although I've seen a number of posts discussing various issues with the cam. I did recently see another alternative that looked promising, but cant locate the info - will post if I come across it again.

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ae8UutZ-o0SL2CdlNdilmutLsyKFTK2l[/video]

Note, google drive compresses the file quite a bit still further - the quality is a fair amount better in reality.

I used a INNOVV K1. Very good. I have great videos but sadly I can't post them because they have copyrighted music on them. The rushes that don't are too big because they are FHD.

Google it. Cameras are very tough, small (3cmx3cm or so and VERY easy to conceal - if you don't knoow they are there they are very difficult to see and almost impossible to steal because they would be useless as the cable is hard wired) CNC machined aluminium, glass lenses. The guy (Rock) is a one man band and is very good with advice and technical help. It took me a loooong time to install mine because I had to scratch my head about routings and circuitry but it does come with pretty comprehensive instructions. I'm just a bit slow and I don't like wires showing so it was a tank off job on the Tiger. Don't need to on a GS, though.

I had them installed on my Tiger. Now going to tackle installation on my new GS.

Fairly reliable if after downloading the footage you format the card afterwards. BUY GOOD QUALITY MICRO SD's Don't buy them from china on Ebay! It will take a 64gb (poss 128 also dunno, never tried) card which will give you about 16hrs of footage depending on resolution and fps chosen. It has a control box with a colour screen and it has looping facility.

Careful routing of the wires and positioning of the control box is required because it doesn't like to overheat. I had issues because the Triple engine generated huge amounts of heat and it used to heat the cables up under hard riding. I would have rerouted the cable but I sold the bike before I had a need to. So on a GS don't route the wires under the seat because the heat sink for the brain of the bike is there. You can have the control box/screen on the handlebar if you want it but i prefer to have it hidden away because that can be stolen easily and I didn't want to have to remove it every time.

One of the problems I have, therefore, is where to put the bloody control box as there is next to no room under the passenger seat of the GS!

Only disadvantage (he may have updated the product, though) is it doesn't have wifi/bluetooth capability to download to your phone.

I used a INNOVV K1. Very good. I have great videos but sadly I can't post them because they have copyrighted music on them. The rushes that don't are too big because they are FHD.

Google it. Cameras are very tough, small (3cmx3cm or so and VERY easy to conceal - if you don't knoow they are there they are very difficult to see and almost impossible to steal because they would be useless as the cable is hard wired) CNC machined aluminium, glass lenses. The guy (Rock) is a one man band and is very good with advice and technical help. It took me a loooong time to install mine because I had to scratch my head about routings and circuitry but it does come with pretty comprehensive instructions. I'm just a bit slow and I don't like wires showing so it was a tank off job on the Tiger. Don't need to on a GS, though.

I had them installed on my Tiger. Now going to tackle installation on my new GS.

Fairly reliable if after downloading the footage you format the card afterwards. BUY GOOD QUALITY MICRO SD's Don't buy them from china on Ebay! It will take a 64gb (poss 128 also dunno, never tried) card which will give you about 16hrs of footage depending on resolution and fps chosen. It has a control box with a colour screen and it has looping facility.

Careful routing of the wires and positioning of the control box is required because it doesn't like to overheat. I had issues because the Triple engine generated huge amounts of heat and it used to heat the cables up under hard riding. I would have rerouted the cable but I sold the bike before I had a need to. So on a GS don't route the wires under the seat because the heat sink for the brain of the bike is there. You can have the control box/screen on the handlebar if you want it but i prefer to have it hidden away because that can be stolen easily and I didn't want to have to remove it every time.

One of the problems I have, therefore, is where to put the bloody control box as there is next to no room under the passenger seat of the GS!

Only disadvantage (he may have updated the product, though) is it doesn't have wifi/bluetooth capability to download to your phone.

Plus one for the K1 fit and forget and works a treat.

1DABDB00-7F28-4FEE-9534-892299C18FE6.jpg97D937F0-5F93-4DDC-8A12-04AE3D9A0A94.jpgCheck out the INNOVV K1 https://www.innovv.com/the-k . It’s sturdy ( CNC aluminium ). Fitting one myself to my new GS.

The front camera is the most difficult to position discreetly (on a new GS) and you may have to fashion a bracket or two as I am now doing but to be honest that’s going to be a common issue with any system. Both cameras are permanent fixtures and difficult ( read pointless ) to steal.

The other issue is with the positioning of the control box; like you I don’t want to remove and connect it every time I leave the bike in the street. On my Tiger there was a lovely space under the seat..... needless to say that I am pacing around my bike and scratching my head.

The good thing about this bike ( not the case with the Tiger ) is that I don’t need to install a fuzebloc, look for an ignition source or even connect it to the battery because the AUX PWR socket de-energises when the ignition is off; so it will plug straight in to the socket and away you go.

It has loop facility and a 64gb (depending on res and frame rate) will give you about 18 hrs of footage.

No BT, sadly.

https://youtu.be/raKuDFbY7jY

Above is a vastly reduced res version from 4gb to 160 mb of the kind of things you can do with it. The shots with the rear wheel and light cluster are GoPro, the rest INNOVV.

IN SUMMARY: once installed, it’s a great permanent system but it is complicated to install and will have you scratching your head. But I like finding solutions to problems and tinkering on bikes in my garage.

By the way, you may ask why I have two cameras facing the front. I don’t; i’m still deciding on where is best to place it. The indicator one is a bracket fro a GoPro but I neither want it to one side, nor so exposed but I wanted to see what it looked like.

I’making a sturdy bracket to put it on top of the light. I won’t be making any new holes in my machine to install this.

I don't get why folk are so keen to fit cameras to their cars and bikes, except for vloggers I suppose. Surely you don't watch this stuff again later instead of going out on the bike again? I can see that some want to record what others did in the event of an accident, or to rant on youtube about other drivers, but these things work both ways.

If the Government had said we had to do this so that a policeman could look at the footage from it there'd be public demonstrations. Yet, as I understand it, a policeman is entitled to view the footage from any camera fixed to a vehicle if he suspects the owner was doing something naughty, although I believe it's not so for those worn on the person.

If you never, ever, do anything just a little bit outside the letter of the law and/or are immune to human error, perhaps you're comfortable in spending your own cash to voluntarily have big brother riding with you, but what if you could ever do with the benefit of the doubt?

Just asking - I'm happy to learn and accept that I might just be missing something. :)

Horses for courses. Personally I have them in all my vehicles but I only view and save the ones from my bike. Even then I save the ones of tours or sorties.

Occasionally I will put together videos such as the one above but not to show off, until last night I hadn’t published it. I only put it on youtube to be able to show the Picos guys and now on this thread. The guys I went with and who are on that video loved it and it served as a short reminder of a great week. And I like creating them. Yeah, I re-live the tour a little sorting clips out and putting it to music because it’s not as simple as just “enjoying the next ride”; some rides are worth having a documentary record of.

I agree that it’s a double edged sword if the sole purpose is to use it as evidence. Not so much in Spain because the laws are a little woolly regarding filming but as happened recently in Germany, all it will take is a case whereby the sole piece of evidence is dashcam footage to prove that someone was at fault. I imagine that any judge would be hard pushed to ignore such evidence if a life had been taken.

As long as you do it before the police ask to see the footage, you can easily re-format the sd card (takes 30 secs to do) and/or take it out and destroy it. Destroying evidence? SHOCK HORROR!!! It would have to be proved that there was, indeed, useable evidence in the first place.

A camera is just another toy, and we like our toys, but it is really handy to remember certain places and roads that you have travelled on, and due to concentrating on what is most important, riding the bike, we do miss things that the pillion blurts into your ear, "did you see that" no im trying to keep you alive.......:D

I think you're right. I've fitted the square one to the front, I believe resolution is 1080 and 720. I still think you can't go wrong for £ 35, but that excludes Micro SD card, mine was £ 10 for 32gb

I think that if you have paid £10 for that SD card you should download a SD card tester and see how much it really has. Your computer will tell you it has 32gb but what often happens is that it is an 8 or 4gb card multipied to fool computers. Sometimes it will have as little as 2gb in reality. Only a tester will tell you for sure. I assume you got it from e-bay or something. Also, for these cameras you really need a fast SD card which, for £10, I bet it won't be.

What you may find, otherwise, is that it locks up frequently thus rendering your camera all but useless. Check the footage regularly and re-format regularly too.

H2testw for windows or F3 for Mac and Linux.

There are many others. i use SDPEED but it's a slow process because what they do is write to the card over and over again, fill it up, and measure the speed at which it writes and reads.

For HD video you need a class 10 SD card and they never cost £10.

It seems the Innovv K1 is no longer available from their website and the supercedding unit the Innovv K2 no longer had a video display on the unit but uses a wifi connection to an app on your mobile to display video

cfd8e05e9e4f43656350647be8a5c156.png

53ef8f2f789003deb89e64a35e1ac068.png

https://www.innovv.com/product-page/innovv-k2

No it doesn't have a screen but in my opinion it was redundant anyway. The previous unit wasn't waterproof either and much bulkier, therefore more difficult to locate. On a modern GS, anyway; as there's nowhere where you can locate it that's weatherproof.

This way you don't even have to remove the control box to then remove the SD card to download the footage; you can do it over BT or Wifi. Slower, possibly, but far more convenient.

Hi everyone, i'm looking front and rear camera set up which will record to a card and can be left permanently on the bike, preferably hidden, also with mains power and turning on and off with the ignition. Has anyone any experience or views.

Cheers

Vsys 2CH camera system dash cam is what you need

HTB1W8SowRyWBuNkSmFPq6xguVXaI.jpg

Bought the Nortek twin camera set up. They have now stopped selling them! However a quick web search shows similar systems on sale. One even has a waterproof case you can put the DVR in. Mine hasn't got that. Image is good and the device wake-up when you start the bike. A smart power hub detects vibration and starts recording. Happy with it so far. From memory the rear camera image is true, i.e. not flipped.

Back
Top Bottom