Used MacBook advice please

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I think I’m in the market for a used MacBook, and would welcome some advice. I currently have a 2011 Mac mini as the family computer, which I’ll keep going to store music, photos etc.

The rest of the family all have their own laptops or iPads. I’m after a laptop for myself that I can take with me when I travel to access tinternet, emails, run Garmin Basecamp, run my air navigation software.

I have about £500 to spend.

What model and spec should I be aiming for, and where should I be looking to get a good value unit?

Thanks in advance

Nin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As your not doing anything too heavy (video or photo editing) I'd got for a Macbook Air, no need for a MacBook Pro. i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD HD will do the job. You should be able to pick up a recent one for £500. If you can get 256GB do, but don't scrimp on the RAM.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Nice one, thanks Wizards. Any recommendations on where to look?

Keep an eye on here, Gumtree or Fleebay. You should be able to get a 2015 version if your lucky, but 2014 versions are more common at that price.
Maybe worth adding something to the Wanted section.

I have a 128 gb MacBook pro I use for work, with minimal file use Im downto 80 gb. I use two 128 gb flash drives, one for storage, the other for Time machine. Ram wise its 8 gb and it flies

Ssd is super fast but if it was me now I would go 256 or 512 gb SSD

I have a 128 gb MacBook pro I use for work, with minimal file use Im downto 80 gb. I use two 128 gb flash drives, one for storage, the other for Time machine. Ram wise its 8 gb and it flies

Ssd is super fast but if it was me now I would go 256 or 512 gb SSD
Bigger is always better (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more) but based on "travel to access tinternet, emails, run Garmin Basecamp, run my air navigation software" I would put the £500 towards CPU & RAM. OSX does not use a lit of space so you may get away with 128GB, but as said, if you do find one with 256GB snap it up, the mapping software may need it so look into the requirements.

Excellent, thanks fellas. Yep by the time I’ve loaded up the UK and Spanish aero charts it begins to fill up space.

So I’ve been offered a 2011 MacBook Pro 15” upgraded to 2GHz i7 quad, 8Gb ram, 256 gB SSD for £400 ...

That is well spec'd, and dare I say it rather cheap. But it is in my view not the machine to take on your travels as you say in your original post.

First off its a unibody machine which means its pretty large in comparison with the next generation MacBook Pro. It has a built in dvd unit as standard. Its a 15" machine and for me thats a use at home/office machine. That is a large heavy laptop.

I base my comments on having the 13' version, plus I have the latest MacBook to compare it with. Your choice of machine must be decided by yourself. What you value most portability/performance. You can acheive both but your budget will decide that for you. If I had your requirements I would want the generation after the one on offer and a 13' screen. i5 chip 8Gb ram with 500Gb SSD (min) to hold the files you mention.
These machines cannot be upgraded after being built, unlike the one offered to you.

If the machine offered to you is in good condition I would buy it. Its well spec'd and a bit of a bargain. Just my personal view others will disagree.

Good advice, thanks chaps. I’m exploring the Pro a bit further- I like the fact that it can be upgraded, and compared to my old Lenovo Thinkbook it’s a sleek machine!

I have a 2012 MacBook Air and it feels as fresh today as it did almost 6 years ago

Fantastic piece of kit and I really do find Windows a real struggle now

Back
Top Bottom