GPS preparation removal

Sandyb

Reaction score
Now I know most people have Sat Navs, but I have just recently taken delivery of my first RT it has gps preparation device installed. I have no intention of purchasing a sat nav for it, not the best use of £500/600.

So my question is the prep thing, is it a plug and play and therefore can I unplug this from somewhere and remove the mount assembly, I am fine with keeping the mounting bar but not the device itself?

Just see it as a waste, any advice will be appreciated

Sandy

If its anything like the GS yes.

I've done this on mine to mount a completely different device there instead.

The mount will unscrew and disassemble you can then chase the plug back to the offside and remove the cable taping up the plug.
I think the sat nav prep might be a dealer fitted extra as it looks a bit after thought due to the cable ties.

Sorry its a R1200 RT, 2011 Model, the GPS is mounted on a bar above clocks looks easy enough to remove from bar but just wondered if it is a simply unplugging ans sealing connection off

Sorry its a R1200 RT, 2011 Model, the GPS is mounted on a bar above clocks looks easy enough to remove from bar but just wondered if it is a simply unplugging ans sealing connection off
Would you be interested in selling it? I have a 2010 RT that would it would fit nicely.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BUT, why remove it?

i was thinking the same - i cant for the life of me think why you'd want to get rid of it - maybe at some point you will want to take the bike abroad or on a long trip?

i was thinking the same - i cant for the life of me think why you'd want to get rid of it - maybe at some point you will want to take the bike abroad or on a long trip?

Or even wanting to sell the bike in a state such that it is equipped as it was designed to be.

To be honest the only reason for removing is that I see it as a redundant piece of plastic I don’t need at the moment, because I don’t see any reason for leaving it there, that said still thinking about whether to remove or not, if I was to remove it then I would keep a hold of it in case I needed it in future or was to trade the bike at some point, th either option I was thinking about if there was some form of blanking plate if I was to leave it to protect the brass connection pins.

Never had a sat nav on bike so didn’t I would need one but the consensus above seems to think differently

What mount is it ? A Garmin/BMW/TomTom ? I can understand that if you are not going to use it, you might want to remove it :blast

leave it

If it looks ok just leave it in place, nothing spoiling. It may make the bike more attractive to a buyer when you come to sell it.

As you will have guessed I'm new to the world of BMW and all, as I said I don't see me needing one since I have never used a sat nav in the past however based on the feedback from everyone, I will probably leave as is, and watch ebay for a reasonable priced one. £600 just seemed rather steep for something I cant see me using much.

I am not sure what version I have, as bike has been delivered to my home whilst I am away working, I know it has 4 buttons down the left hand side?

Sandy, given your bike and if you've never used a sat nav before on your bike I would look at the Garmin zumo 660, which you'll be able to pick up new or second hand for a much more reasonable price...after all the BMW NAV is a garmin re-badged. On the LC bikes the only real benefit in having the BMW nav vs a basic Garmin is the thumb wheel works with the BMW navs and some detail can be extracted from the ECU. For a hexhead there is no real point.

The only real benefit in using a sat nav on a bike is being able to preplan a ride using basecamp or motogoloco transfer the route the nav then all you need to do is follow the nav rather than have to use maps.

It seems I have opened a tin of works with this one.

Anyway a little more searing around it would appear I have several options:-
1. to remove-probably not going to do this now following the good advice from you all,
2. shop around for a used BMW navigator, possible but at the right price,
3. the web seems to suggest that the Zumo 660/665 as 'blueranger' says will fit straight into the prep on my bike.

So going forward I will probably leave as is and shop around for a good used unit, I wont need the latest model as these can be upgraded with correct mapping anyway.

However as I am not needing one quickly I have plenty time to shop around for one.

Hi Sandyb, there are lots of folk 'upgrading' their BMW Nav 4's to Nav 5's then Nav 5's to Nav 6's. Anything below a Nav6 should be able to be picked up for below £300. They are still good bits of kit.

sounds good, that will probably be my preferred route, as said not in a hurry so can wait for the right deal to come along, I better subscribe to get access to for sale section then.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Sounds like you have the Zumo 660/Nav 4 prep. I have had a Nav 4 for years and it has been ultra reliable, I have seen friends with the Nav 5/6 have issues so I am glad that I have the Nav 4. I think the Nav 4 gives you certain advantages over the 660 (you can use the buttons on the cradle to zoom etc.) and comes with the BMW Dealer Waypoints (although they are not all reliable). Seems like you can pick them up on ebay for £200/250:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Navi...045296?hash=item2f145c2230:g:CBkAAOSw4HNaa43V

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Navi...437036?hash=item33e0e5032c:g:h7wAAOSw9qJacCAL

sounds good, that will probably be my preferred route, as said not in a hurry so can wait for the right deal to come along, I better subscribe to get access to for sale section then.
Thanks everyone for the advice
Having both a Zumo 660, and a Nav V, I would suggest the Nav is slightly better. Bigger, brighter screen, and maps update more frequently.
I got a Nav V on eBay for under £300. Good deals are available, if you are patient. Something like this is worth watching to see what bidders are prepared to pay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Moto...895438?hash=item284f0c42ce:g:7vcAAOSw8i9abQJI

In the meantime, £7.75 will get you the waterproof cover for the pins:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...364415&hash=item2a88dd3396:g:nUUAAOSwAa1ZdvWM

Back
Top Bottom