Multistrada 1100 v 1100s

brut33

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying one of these and would like to know if anyone has experience of both.
I want a low mileage bike and it would open up my options if I targeted both models.

As far as I can see the 'S' model has Ohlins suspension, Termignoni exhausts and a few carbon fibre covers.

In the real world would these upgrades make much difference or would they only be noticed by a professional rider
on a track day. Thanks in advance for any info.

Although the Ohlins is 'emulsion' version - they are a good improvement on standard.

Both bikes suffer from fuel tank expansion (plastic) which is exacerbated by modern fuel

Dash can be a problem - loosing info/pixels and is very expensive to replace (if you can get them now?)

Service intervals (cam belts) are ridiculously short.

I think they need a lot of TLC

Although the Ohlins is 'emulsion' version - they are a good improvement on standard.

Both bikes suffer from fuel tank expansion (plastic) which is exacerbated by modern fuel

Dash can be a problem - loosing info/pixels and is very expensive to replace (if you can get them now?)

Service intervals (cam belts) are ridiculously short.

I think they need a lot of TLC

From what I've researched the tank issue is down to E petrol and the dash issues were sorted on the later models.
Lots of TLC will give me more shed therapy time to change cam belts etc.:)

But it's more the ride differences I'm interested in.

I think anything that Ohlins put their name to - will be a sig improvement.

I think anything that Ohlins put their name to - will be a sig improvement.

This ^

Along with the Termignoni which will / should give better fueling ( as i think there was an up map that accompanies the termi) and of course some carbon to lighten it a bit.

I had a day out in Lincolnshire last year with a bod on the S and fuck he made it go...

Had one as courtesy bike for a while , As long as you keep the clutch in at lights they aren't too bad.
The standard bike is surprisingly good fun in the twisties and was quite firm.
Personally I would go for an S version as there is a difference in the ride , though ive not ridden them back to back , and of course the noise.
Depends on the price difference I suppose

As long as you keep the clutch in at lights they aren't too bad.

The rattle is part of the ownership and how all Ducati's should sound, mine with the open basket and full termi sounded like no other bike on this planet .

Thanks for the feedback.

After scouring the country for one of these, I've found a bog standard, unmolested 1100 with very low mileage.
I appreciate the suspension is top notch on the 'S' model but the standard 1100 isn't all that bad (Marzocchi
upside down forks up front and Sachs at the rear).

I spotted several 'S' models but they were all higher mileage and appeared a tad unloved.
Basically the models differ as I pointed out in the op, but I've since discovered the 'S' doesn't come
with Termignoni exhausts as originally thought.

I'm now viewing youtube vids educating myself how to change timing belts.:D

The rattle is part of the ownership and how all Ducati's should sound, mine with the open basket and full termi sounded like no other bike on this planet .

What, not even like mine? haha!

My mate has an 1100s that has a genuine 2300 miles as he never rides it , that he is selling . It’s a pearl white one , I rode it a few years ago and it rode lovely . I’ve not ridden a standard one but the ohlins are very nice and more desirable same as the 999s would be etc. if you want I can find out a price. He has been saying he will sell for quite a few years but I think he means it this time as he simply doesn’t ride on the road, he just rides trials bikes. Pm me if interested cheers

I'm now viewing youtube vids educating myself how to change timing belts.:D

I don't know specifically about this model, but for a lot of Ducatis the quality of replacement belts has improved over the years so intervals may be longer with a modern belt.

Changing them isn't hard as long as you're careful and it's satisfyingly cheaper than a main dealer bill!

Paul g

I don't know specifically about this model, but for a lot of Ducatis the quality of replacement belts has improved over the years so intervals may be longer with a modern belt.

Changing them isn't hard as long as you're careful and it's satisfyingly cheaper than a main dealer bill!

Paul g

The bike I'm getting has just had its belts changed and a major (belt and braces:bounce1) service after only 8K.
The belt changing schedule is every 15k AFAIK.
After doing a little research it does seem to be within me to change belts myself when the need arises. Long live youtube.:D

I will be peeping over your shoulder passing the spanners, giving words of encouragement, and translating the service manual, il mio piccolo Duce :D

I will be peeping over your shoulder passing the spanners, giving words of encouragement, and translating the service manual, il mio piccolo Duce :D

On second thoughts I'll just bring it round to yours.:D

So, first ride out today and called at Al's to sample his coffee. Here's a photo of him showing me where the engine is.:D

Captions on a postcard please....

Attachments

• IMG_20180216_154434207.jpg
    IMG_20180216_154434207.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 181

Back
Top Bottom