'02 1150 Original Shocks - Rebuild vs Used OE vs Used Aftermarket vs New Aftermarket?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Two-week trip to Portugal & Spain later this year (one-up, typical luggage load, including some off-road trails & tracks), bike still on original shocks (no issues evident with them other than the bike doesn't ride as plush as other bikes I see) but with 70,000km on them I'd be keen to replace them before the trip (and as part of keeping my bike healthy anyway).

Platinum Mark's Ohlins for GSA are tempting, but mine's a GS, not GSA.

So unless there are more options that I've yet to discover, do I:

1. Leave original shocks on the bike and hope they cause no issues on our trip.
  2. Jump on any free OE shocks that any kind Tosser might offer :augie, and then have those (or my own original shocks) rebuilt.
    • Anyone in Dublin offer this service?
    • Expected cost?
    • Estimated time without my bike?
  3. Buy new-to-me used OE shocks (eg Motoworks @ €330/pair).
    • Are these refurbished / rebuilt?
    • If not, any guarantee they're better than what you're replacing?
  4. Buy new-to-me used aftermarket shocks (eg Mark's Ohlins (but for GS) @ €700/pair).
  5. Buy new inexpensive-but-decent aftermarket shocks (eg Hagon @ €700/pair).
I imagine there'll be those who'd suggest adding an option 6 - new expensive shocks (€1000+)... Simply not an option.

Pros & cons of each option? What have those of you (who haven't gone for new expensive shocks) done when your original shocks came to end-of-life?

TIA. :thumb2

Mark

Last edited:
Secondhand shocks may be as good as your own. Marks shocks look like a good deal but not exactly what you want. Hagon have a good reputation as middle of the road shocks not the best but a good solid buy and probably better than secondhand. The last option I see for you is to have your shocks rebuilt by a good company that specializes in this service. I know Firefox do a rebuild service even for shocks that other spechlists say are seald and cannot be dismantled. The rebuild service is the road I would explore by giving Firefox a call and maby try one or too more like Hagon before you decide.let us know what you do JJH

Secondhand shocks may be as good as your own. Marks shocks look like a good deal but not exactly what you want. Hagon have a good reputation as middle of the road shocks not the best but a good solid buy and probably better than secondhand. The last option I see for you is to have your shocks rebuilt by a good company that specializes in this service. I know Firefox do a rebuild service even for shocks that other spechlists say are seald and cannot be dismantled. The rebuild service is the road I would explore by giving Firefox a call and maby try one or too more like Hagon before you decide.let us know what you do JJH

:thumb2

Just called and emailed VMTek in Cork - apparently well-respected and quite capable of rebuilding OE shocks. As you say, probably my most cost-effective option. I like the idea of the bling of new shocks, but I also like the idea of having more petrol money in my pocket for my trip...

Give Firefox a shout and price YSS shocks.
Grand suspension for the money.........had a rear with remote preload adjuster on my last GSA for around 400 of Brussels finest Euro's.

Sent from a U11

Pair of YSS shocks arriving this week. :thumb2

Gotta be an improvement on my 76k km OEMs. More moolah I didn't want to have to spend, but peace of mind comes with a cost.

Back
Top Bottom