New battery plan

My lithium is getting some cold weather workouts of late. It’s slow initially but the bike either starts anyway or the battery wakes up and starter spins faster.
When it’s really cold the bike gets oil circulation before the engine sparks up.
No worries about Optimates and it’s much less weight than the previous battery.
What’s not to like?

The same type will be going on the Kettle.

At -1 deg C this morning the motor turned slowly. After a few seconds switched off and sorted out a glove cuff. Tried again and it spun over fine. There was no momentary rattle as cam chain tensioner was now pumped up.
Normal behaviour for this battery type.

On my Motobatt the engine turns ever so slowly and does a couple of turns before springing joyfully into life
without any exraneous clanking or rattling so, must be doing the same job as your go, stop, go lithium i suppose :thumb2

Starting by odyssey, it always clattered for a second or so until the cam chain tensioner pumped up. The new starter is slower than the original was before it went belly up.
The lithium starts it just fine with no clatter so I suspect the softer cold start may be better for the engine. Not that it’s possible to prove it.
As it cost the same as a Motobatt we won’t know if it was better value for another couple of years. It certainly has no need for fancy conditioning chargers to keep it happy.

So I ordered a motobatt, same as everyone else says fits no problem . The MBYZ16H. How the he'll do you get it in ? It won't go into the 2 plastic ribs on the fuel tank side of the box and the cables struggle to reach. Can someone please take a photo of there's and post it up please.Thanks

So I ordered a motobatt, same as everyone else says fits no problem . The MBYZ16H. How the he'll do you get it in ? It won't go into the 2 plastic ribs on the fuel tank side of the box and the cables struggle to reach. Can someone please take a photo of there's and post it up please.Thanks

Is there some sort of packing piece in the battery box? I thought that Motobatt had the same dimensions as the OE one though. :nenau

Pete

I put mine facing forwards with positive contact on Right side of bike. Positive lead unravels from the wiring loom and loops over to it.
Put some wood blocks underneath and use OEM retaining strap/clip.

No spacer in mine. It had a large ass odessy battery fitted when I bought it and I didn't like the way the cables were routed as its a big fucker. The clamp is also missing but it didn't need one as it was jammed in there. The live cable had a rub mark from the seat bar. I didn't like that so replaced it with a motobatt to solve these issues but I found the motobatt won't push all the way flat upto where its supposed to and I found the live cable difficult to pull over to the live post. I'll need to buy a clamp from somewhere also.

I untangled the positive battery lead from the wiring loom and found it easily reached across the back of the petrol tank. It's in front of the seat, so cross bar is not likely to crush the cable.

I know what you mean, I just kind of shoved mine in and it finally located. Is a pretty tight fit but it should go, if not you could maybe just shave a bit off the corner !

lithium capable charger (US site - was copying it over - I don't buy from crooks)

Also someone on another forum pointing this out when i mentioned the bike isn't capable of charging a lithium battery correctly

Antigravity batteries on the new Re-Start range
is the first powersports battery to offer a full onboard Battery Management System (BMS). Our new RE-START Batteries offer a true BMS, with full time Lithium Cell Balancing, Low-Voltage Cut-off, Over-discharge/ Over-charge protections and temperature protections. These features create the longest lasting, most reliable Lithium battery on the market.

Last edited:
I fitted the yellow one — great battery, but not happy with the yellow next to a white shock
May wrap in insulating tape ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good reason to go Ohlins suspenders (if they are still yellow...)

Edit, sorry just seen the age of the post I was responding to.

My Noco lithium, is having to be warmed before use now

The battery electronics were clicking away after each warm up turn over

3rd turn over and it span up lovley :) - shame the cold start fuelling is shite lol

Back
Top Bottom