Crashed 1290 SAS on Ebay

Still none the wiser:nenau

Surely an auction is about ho much you bid, not when you bid.

Well, yes, but a very late bid slightly higher than another bidder means they have no opportunity to go higher. I usually use a sniping program if it's something I really want to win.

I have yet to ride on of these fine machines. No dealer here in Eire, maybe in the North around NW200 time i may be able to get a go.
Tried the 1190 ADV a stonking bike. Up to now my co-pilot is not keen on KTM.

Up to now my co-pilot is not keen on KTM.

I think the 1190 is a smidge behind my old Super Tenere for passenger provisions, and that was a smidge behind my old 2008 GS which was easily the best passenger bike I have owned.

The 1290S does have the advantage of almost GS like lack of fork dive over the 1190, and also has a much smoother engine with a power delivery that is probably a bit more suited to two-up.

The biggest problem with test rides for passengers is they are used to the old bike, a bit like trying on new shoes, they never feel great until you have bedded them in, KTM also do themselves no favours by providing shit seats as standard, I know they can gain an extra @ £250 by upselling decent ones, but they need to sell a lot of these for each £14,000 bike they fail to sell as the punter finds it uncomfortable on the test ride (56 to be fairly precise)

Agree about the seats. It's ridiculous that a seat that is half comfortable is an optional extra.
I have owned at least ten KTM's. All with seats that are lacking.

Infact on the 990 I purchased a comfort seat that was more uncomfortable than the standard seat.

But it's not just KTM. It seems Kawasaki, Yamaha, Triumph, Harley etc etc. Are all getting away with this con.

I've never had a BMW with a comfy stock seat either.

The one on my 2008 GS was shite, when I took it to Tony Archer he said he did loads of them and showed me a base from one like mine, no padding towards the rear where there were some what looked like horizontal strengthening struts, apparently it was those that were digging into my arse and hurting - but it was just such a shit design, £70 later and both seats were transformed.

I quite like the Powerparts ones on my 1190, probably as good as any seat I can remember from recent years, but this should be what is fitted as standard to what KTM refer to as a "Travel" Bike, although perhaps they mean travel to the nearest posing spot.

Back
Top Bottom