Revolut

Is that even with the physical card from revolut?

Even with the physical card petrol stations in at least France and Belgium won’t take it where a limit is taken up front then you get back the cash taken minus what you’ve spent on fuel.

I’m currently in Germany and have travelled through France, Belgium on the way here..... Monzo works at the paypumps and the exchange rates are inter bank which is great.

Revolut is again inter bank rates when changing currencies but, as folks here have said, the card does not work at paypumps.

Signed up for a Starling last week but their rates don’t appear to be as good as either of the above.

Yesterday I paid for a car in Japan by bank transfer with Revolut. It definitely went through as interbank rate as I was tracking the live rate at the time on my computer.

Revolut was a whopping £850 cheaper than what my own bank was quoting and about a couple of hundred cheaper than any of the online service providers I’d tried.

I’ve just signed up for Revolut, and ordered a physical card, which will arrive on Tuesday. Should save a few quid every time I travel.

I’m very impressed with this card, following our trip last week. Very easy to add funds, and the iPhone app is perfect for tracking your purchases. It gives an immediate notification of any payments made.

The only downside, already mentioned, is the self serve petrol stations. One station put a €120 authorisation charge on the card one day, which took 5 days to get refunded, which depleted the funds for a few days. Do this a few times, and you could run into issues.

I didn’t try withdrawing cash on it, but understand that there aren’t any charges, so for me the card is perfect, as I travel abroad regularly.

.... I didn’t try withdrawing cash on it, but understand that there aren’t any charges, so for me the card is perfect, as I travel abroad regularly.
The first £200 (might be £250) withdrawn in a month attracts no fee, after that there is a 2% fee.

I use Revolut along side Monzo. Both give interbank exchange rates and together give £400 (possibly £500) fee free withdrawal per month :thumb

The first £200 (might be £250) withdrawn in a month attracts no fee, after that there is a 2% fee.

I use Revolut along side Monzo. Both give interbank exchange rates and together give £400 (possibly £500) fee free withdrawal per month :thumb

Good to know :thumb

I like the “live” exchange rates on the Revolut app, so you can just watch it fluctuate, then transfer funds once the rate you want pops up.

For reference, I changed £500 into Euros at the post office, as I needed some cash for the trip, but when I checked the Revolut app that evening, I’d have got €575 if I’d done it via the app, so the rates are much better.

.... I like the “live” exchange rates on the Revolut app, so you can just watch it fluctuate, then transfer funds once the rate you want pops up....
It's possible to change £1,000 into Euros and then wait a few minutes and change it back to pounds and make 20p.... but only someone who has far too much time on their hands would sit doing that sort of thing :augie :D

It's possible to change £1,000 into Euros and then wait a few minutes and change it back to pounds and make 20p.... but only someone who has far too much time on their hands would sit doing that sort of thing :augie :D

20p is 20p. That’ll get you 3cm away from the dock in your yacht! :D

Comparing the rates available on Revolut against what you’ll get if you buy your holiday € at the Post Office you’ll get an extra €4 for every £100 you change today. Post Office rates are normally pretty good so if you’re going away over Xmas and fancy a ‘free’ beer on holiday top up that card :D

Being serious for a minute, I can’t see the rate improving until the New Year when Parliament vote on the so called Deal and if you’re going to be driving across Europe over Xmas then it’s worth topping up and using a Revolut card for fuel, tolls and meals because not only is the exchange rate better but you don’t pay a handling fee :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom