Bike been standing for 6 years, what could go wrong?

nerdbiker

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done the terrible thing of leaving my 1150GS standing in the garage for over 6 years, and now I have finally decided to part with it I need to get it running.
Apart from the usual fluid changes and new spark plugs, is there anything else I should do or clean before trying to start it up?

Thanks
Anthony

If it had some old petrol in that tank sitting for so long, I would drain it out and put some new in, let the bike warm up a bit before hitting the start button, lets hope no seals have dried up and burst, and if it has not moved tyres are most likely dead, and battery also.

You will get loads of advice mine is to try to turn the engine over 4th or 5th gear just to make sure nothing has siezed. JJH

If it had some old petrol in that tank sitting for so long, I would drain it out and put some new in, let the bike warm up a bit before hitting the start button, lets hope no seals have dried up and burst, and if it has not moved tyres are most likely dead, and battery also.

My old Mini was left for more than four years and after fitting a new battery started straight away. Petrol hadn’t gone off because it was driven to and from the MOT testing station

Check the oil and give the engine a good spin with the ignition off.
Once running, you can give it a service + strip and clean the brake calipers

Thanks for all the advice, from what you have said it shouldn't be too hard to get it going. I thought I might have to dismantle and clean out the fuel injectors.
I've ordered some new spark plugs and I'll have a go at it next week.

Cheers

You don’t need new spark plugs if you didn’t need them 6 years ago. JJH

Quite likely that the fuel pump will have seized, especially if there was any water in the tank.

The tank has been off the bike the whole time, so hopefully the pump should be ok.

You don’t need new spark plugs if you didn’t need them 6 years ago. JJH

Fair point :) I'll give it a go with the originals first and see if it starts without having to disturb anything (after checking it's not seized of course!)

FWIW.....

I've brought a number of bikes back to life after being laid up, and it was always easier than I thought it would be.

Plugs out, in gear and push along to make sure everything is free. Plugs back in, new petrol and jump leads to the car....Start the car.....THEN, spin the bike up.

I guess that this 'advice' will attract :blagblah:blagblah:blagblah but it has worked a number of times for me.

Good luck !!......:)

If I was starting the bike I’d remove a plug from each pot turn over the engine to make sure everything is free then spin it over with the starter obviously I’d check the oil level first. Replace plugs and go for it. The battery will be goosed and petrol? Who knows? Prepare for smoke. Before you ride I’d recommend you check brakes aren’t seized and change fluid. Tyers? Check pressure anyway but consider replacing. I’m presuming you have some mechanical knowledge/ability and will automatically do sensible things like grounding spark plugs. JJH

I bought a new battery and, after manually pushing the bike in gear to make sure it had not seized, turned it over using the starter. All the electrics are working ok, I could hear the brake servos moving and all the lights/horn work.
Due to a broken fuel line connector it wasn't possible to get it started, but I've remove the broken connector and have a replacement ready go in. I just ran out of time to do any more.

So the next step is to get the fuel tank reconnected, top up the oil and get it running. Then I can do the oil change and, later, replace the brake fluid.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how I get on.

replace the brake fluid before you ride it or you might not have a "later"

John

replace the brake fluid before you ride it or you might not have a "later"

John

Yes, I was going to... I just meant "later" because I don't often get time to work on it :)
Plus the fact it's not insured, doesn't have an MOT, tyres are knackered, etc, etc, :D

So the next step is to get the fuel tank reconnected, top up the oil and get it running. Then I can do the oil change

First thing you should have done before the engine turned a single revolution is drain the engine oil. Any sludge/condensation that's accumulated over the years would be in the bottom of the sump. By turning the engine over you've now disturbed it and punted it around the engine. Never mind.

Oh that's SO true about the sludge Neil. And have you noticed that tyres have a date of manufacture stamped on the sidewall ? Years ago before I realised that, I went to Prague and back from the UK on an K75C with fourteen-yr-old tyres.
The guy back at QuikFit nearly had kittens when he saw the date...."you could've been killed..." etc.
If only we could have hindsight back beforehand....

Back
Top Bottom