Ground sheet material.

UturnTony

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Lone Rider tent with a "garage area" which i use not as a garage but as a living space.
I could do with a ground sheet for it and as they are only available from the USA and are very expensive
i need to make one so, what material is best for lightness, toughness, water repelling and where can
i get such stuff? I have done a search on here but get a shed load of results not really pertinent, also
Googled it and have perused those results too but, as there are peeps here that will probably
know just the thing and where to get it i ask the question. Ta :thumb2

Any cheap tarpaulin from Halfords, and a bag of eyelets from eBay should see you right. Use and throw away, as you'll get six out of a tarp.

Any cheap tarpaulin from Halfords, and a bag of eyelets from eBay should see you right. Use and throw away, as you'll get six out of a tarp.

Yep, i agree and have looked at all that stuff but i thought it's worth a punt to see if anyone here has knowledge
of a wonder material that is both light & strong and of course may have the very thing i need ready to go :thumb2

Tony.

I do a bit of wild camping with a tarp and groundsheet.

I've had a few ground sheets that promise world whilst remaining lightweight and in my experience they all failed. So I went for an indestructible rubberised canvas but that was far too heavy and bulky to carry, plus a bit OTT.

I ended up buying a few cheap 6x4 groundsheets, putting a few lines of duct tape down the length to repair if needed while in use. Then just throw it away when its gone too far, only £4-5 each time and no fuss.

HTH

Edit: this sort of thing, with the eyelets already in, just peg them down.
https://www.uktarps.com/hd-270gsm-silver-black-tarpaulin-1-2m-x-1-8m-4ft-x-6ft.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtPBuu2E2QIVTFuGCh0ZTAaeEAQYAyABEgK_rvD_BwE

Tony.

I do a bit of wild camping with a tarp and groundsheet.

I've had a few ground sheets that promise world whilst remaining lightweight and in my experience they all failed. So I went for an indestructible rubberised canvas but that was far too heavy and bulky to carry, plus a bit OTT.

I ended up buying a few cheap 6x4 groundsheets, putting a few lines of duct tape down the length to repair if needed while in use. Then just throw it away when its gone too far, only £4-5 each time and no fuss.

HTH

Edit: this sort of thing, with the eyelets already in, just peg them down.
https://www.uktarps.com/hd-270gsm-silver-black-tarpaulin-1-2m-x-1-8m-4ft-x-6ft.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtPBuu2E2QIVTFuGCh0ZTAaeEAQYAyABEgK_rvD_BwE

That's one for the list. Didn't come across it in my Googling, cheers :thumb2

I use a picnic blanket. Fabric on one side and plastic on the other. I don’t bother pegging it down after all it’s under cover in the tent. You can buy them everywhere including motorway service stations.

Tom

I use a water bed safety liner as a ground sheet, far better than the cheap woven plastic tarps which eventually leak, just cut to the size you want and put a few eyelets onto it.

Have a look here https://www.aquaglowwaterbeds.co.uk/accessories/waterbed-safety-liners/soft-side-bed-safety-liner

Phil.

:thumb2

I use a picnic blanket. Fabric on one side and plastic on the other. I don’t bother pegging it down after all it’s under cover in the tent. You can buy them everywhere including motorway service stations.

Tom

It's an idea but not what i'm looking for. Thank's :thumb2

I've just bought 2m of this for my slumit cub 2, not used it yet but hopefully it'll done nicely, lightweight too.. With hindsight I would have have bought enough for 3 or 4 and cut to the size to save on postage.

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/p29-coated-polyethylene?search=P29

You can get that or very similar from Poundland in 6'x4" sheets already fitted with eyelets for, guess what, yep, a pound :D
I checked it out yesterday but just not heavy enough for my purposes.

:thumb2

It's an idea but not what i'm looking for. Thank's :thumb2

You can get that or very similar from Poundland in 6'x4" sheets already fitted with eyelets for, guess what, yep, a pound :D
I checked it out yesterday but just not heavy enough for my purposes.
Eh up T ,, ye planning more crap to haul around :D

:D looks like it doesn't it Sy. Thinking I could do with a bit of a groundsheet for the sitting room in my tent :D when I get up in the morning and step out the grass is cold on my feet :blast :D

Back
Top Bottom